Ceramic coating my new Mooney

Daneshgari

It turns out... sanding and other strange marks are part of the paint process...

Unfortunately, there aren’t any clean rooms, with down draft air systems to paint Mooneys in... no robots with digitally pre-programmed spray guns....

Nice to see the details involved with the paint corrections that can be done...

The finished results are indeed impressive...

Thanks Perry, for sharing those details...

The slippery-ness of the finished surface is really interesting...

Out of curiosity, I looked up the tail number... N121PH has a few pics of a turbine on the nose...  :)

A Pilatus PC12 once wore the same tail number...

Best regards,

-a-

For exterior, he uses Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine mixed in various concentrations with water. And, Gtechniq W5 Biodegradable Citrus All Purpose Cleaner, again mixed in various concentrations. Both have worked well in my experience.

For leather and interiors, again Optimum No Rinse diluted, and Gtechniq I2 Tri-Clean for heavier stains.

Finally, it's Gtechniq ceramic coatings for the final step.

• Like 4

My son and the guys he works with do ceramic coatings on cars.  I had my wife’s SUV done nearly a year ago, the water still beads and slides off.  It does not seem hard at all BUT, like a lot of things in life, it’s all about the prep work.  Which makes it a multi-step process and time consuming.  If you’re willing to do the work correctly and take the time to do each step right an owner could easily do it themselves.  But ask yourself, when was the last time you waxed your car? 

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Is applying ceramic coating products that complicated?  It seems as if this is something an owner could do themselves with some elbow grease and the right products.

What we need is a good set of instructions written by someone who knows all the steps and magic potions.   There is another video of the same person working on an older Malibu that has oily fingerprints that have absorbed into the paint like on my a/c.   I started watching that one, but he is not so explicit about techniques/materials in that vid.  Good stuff.

Right - 

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

According to their literature, the high grade ceramic is so tough it would need to be sanded off, and is not available to general public. They have a less tough version that can be polished off.

Tom

Right - it is generally what a little google browsing shows me - also car ceramic coating services claim similar things.  That they have a better product than the stuff you can easily find online.  That not all ceramic coatings are the same.  I believe that.  That some are the real deal and some are just rebranded wax coatings.  But I don't believe that with a little tenacious research that we, the general public, cannot purchase the good stuff.

I mean - I would never attempt to strip and paint my mooney - too much workmanship, know how, and skill, and toxic chemicals and equipment - way over my head.  But ceramic coating - looks like a simple product - if we can find the right stuff - the real deal stuff - and a solid weekend worth of elbow grease can get it done.

I'm tempted to do this.  Thinking about it.  I have an "almost new" paint job - about 1.75 years old and still looks absolutely new when clean.  Seems like a reasonable path to ceramic coat it as this fellow did with his new acclaim.  Although I have no idea where his swirl marks came from - I have absolutely no swirl marks since an orbit polisher has never been on my airplane paint - just hand waxing.  Still - more smooth and more glossy is never something you can have too much of.

So what is the good stuff - the good product - and where can we buy it?  Perhaps its the same product a professional car ceramic coating company would be using?  Where do they get it?

Edited by aviatoreb

One of my transition clients is a young man who elected to become an airline pilot vs get a liberal arts college degree so his father invested his college funds into an Ovation. He is also a PCA club driving instructor, and is a fanatic about detailing his vehicles, plane included. He is in the Phoenix area if anyone wants to have someone I would consider a real pro do their plane in Phoenix, which isnt far for any Mooney this time of year from the snowbelt :) In fact, I will be taking a new Ultra to him in March to have this done. PM me if you would like his contact details. Considering the tooling and "stuff" he needs to do it right, I dont think he wants to be a "road show".

He convinced me to have ppf and ceramic coating on my new car, and it is remarkable (albeit it was expensive)

I assume (like Garmin), the good stuff is only available through authorized dealers who have expertise.

I guess I understand the business model, they don’t want to deal with DIY amateur mucking it and calling to complain. Looks like it would take attention to detail and patience along with right tools. Here is what they say:

Get Professionally Installed 9-Year Paint Protection!

Protect your Investment! Keep your vehicle looking new and easier to clean! Our professionally accredited installers will ensure your paint is properly inspected, cleaned, and protected for year's to come!

Through our highly trained network of accredited installers, you can be sure that a highly-qualified professional will give your vehicle the love and care it deserves!

Crystal Serum Ultra is our 9-year paint protection coating and the best protection that you can provide. Because of the special nature of Crystal Serum Ultra, and thepreparationand application required, it is only available through our network of accredited installers.

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/aero/

So...

Going to the Gtechniq website.... you get choices... car, boat, aero(?)

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/aero/protect/exterior/windows/

I quickly got concerned regarding glass cleaners.... for my plane....

Certainly, any cleaner near my windshield gets me concerned....

Their windshield cleaner is for glass/Perspex.... aka acrylic sheet...

Sounds like you can buy the real stuff...

But to use the real stuff, may take some practice...  :)

Might want to start with a fancy bike, then Subaru in the garage first, before working your way up to the Rocket...

PP thoughts only, I have only had one car professionally detailed, once...

Best regards,

-a-

Two days of paint corrections (The first time), cleaning, and finishing...

By a knowledgable paint person....

Sounds like adding two days to an annual inspection...

one amu per day?

Owner assisted is going to be important if you are using a car guy...

Surface perfection, on something that travels 150+mph... is a bit hard to maintain... :)

If you are taking somebody flying for the first time....

They want to see perfection on the things they recognize....

Nothing like looking at a well polished surface... and see your own reflection, not the color beneath the surface....

Go for it...

The Gtechniq website has a cost calculator.... about five steps, with about five options based on things to consider and how bad the surface is....

https://usa.gtechniq.com/service/

PP thoughts only, my plane got washed once this year...

Best regards,

-a-

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

So...

Going to the Gtechniq website.... you get choices... car, boat, aero(?)

https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/aero/protect/exterior/windows/

I quickly got concerned regarding glass cleaners.... for my plane....

Certainly, any cleaner near my windshield gets me concerned....

Their windshield cleaner is for glass/Perspex.... aka acrylic sheet...

Sounds like you can buy the real stuff...

But to use the real stuff, may take some practice...  :)

Might want to start with a fancy bike, then Subaru in the garage first, before working your way up to the Rocket...

PP thoughts only, I have only had one car professionally detailed, once...

Best regards,

-a-

...right.  Actually my several bikes have no paint - they are titanium.  I wish I could have an all titanium - and unpainted - Mooney!  Never corrodes.  Ever.  strong and light.  But that is a different story.

Yeah - I wouldn't just buy the stuff and start slopping it onto my Mooney.  I would work my way up in courage before going at the Mooney.,  eg as you say,  Car.  And I have a few sample panels of metal painted as my Mooney.  Then maybe cowl.  ...then ...

There have been a few decal type leading edge experiments done by MSers...

Mostly... few rave reviews as existing products shrink, yellow, sunbake, crack, and look worse than the unprotected paint...

Flying in some winter weather is pretty tough on paint... sounds like a frozen sand storm....

Something to consider... how to get the product off, after it has gone the distance....?

Best regards,

-a-

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There have been a few decal type leading edge experiments done by MSers...

Mostly... few rave reviews as existing products shrink, yellow, sunbake, crack, and look worse than the unprotected paint...

Flying in some winter weather is pretty tough on paint... sounds like a frozen sand storm....

Something to consider... how to get the product off, after it has gone the distance....?

Best regards,

-a-

Titanium makes an excellent albeit very expensive leading edge treatment for our wings to protect against rock paint chips etc - oh and it has the side benefit of ice protection - tks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1