Flaps stuck

Daneshgari

• 2 weeks later...

Perry:

Last summer I made a post where I discuss design flaws in the flap relay board. This is the board in my 1997 Encore. I have no knowledge of the design in your airplane. Assuming a similar design I believe the recommendations I made regarding replacing the coil diodes with a TVS and adding a TVS across the motor leads would help.

It really is a marginal design. They used a general purpose relay to switch a motor load. They used an improper design for coil suppression. They used nothing to suppress the spike from the motor. And finally, in my case at least, they failed to remove the relay vent nib. The relay used is designed to be vented but is initially sealed until soldering and cleaning is complete. 

Do you have any detailed photos of the relay board in your airplane? Detailed enough to see part numbers of the relays for example?

Larry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daneshgari said:

Hello All. My flaps gave up once again. This is after only four landings since the new controller was installed. Kevin is sending a new one. It is odd that this happened so quickly. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Thank you

Perry

DANG! Perry, it was my understanding they improved the flap relay board with a bit heavier duty relays. Perhaps in the confusion of the factory reorganization, you were sent one of the older ones. I would be interesting to know any part numbers involved.  I have heard of it happening on another V,  but a new relay board cured it. 

A new controller was installed. Kevin literary went above the call of duty on this for me. The great mechanic here at Lapeer MSC, Jay thinks that the TKS Fluid could have been the cause of the failure. Has anyone seen anything like this? Connection between TKS usage and flap module. My 2007 Mooney, which I owned for 9 years, never had this issue. All my other Mooneys have had TKS and none has every had a failed flap controller. It is very perplexing. 

Perry

Perry:

Can you get us a picture of the failed module? I'd like to see what components are used now.

I have TKS and have noticed fluid droplets behind the belly pan after a usage. I have not attributed any failures to the fluid however. 

Thanks, Larry