Flaps stuck

Daneshgari

On my 1999 Eagle I had a similar problem.  Gently shaking the flap and cleaning with contact cleaner made it work again but not for long.   We traced it to a bad micro switch. 

Relay is the next suspect if it is not micro switch related. see below:

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/13433-flaps-wont-retract/page/2/

14 minutes ago, Daneshgari said:

Great input guys. Thank you. Mooney is sending me a new something. It looks like that it is a know problem. I have had 6 Mooneys over the last 15 years and never had this problem. This one only has 13 hours on the Hobbs. 

Perry

A little off topic, but you can read hundreds of pages on this forum of people postulating on the viability of a new acclaim and what Mooney *should* produce.  

It’s great to see someone like yourself who actually bought the best product on the market and is supporting the brand.  Congrats on your new plane!  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Yetti said:

On the older planes, the get home fix it to wiggle gently the trailing edge of the flaps.   Then contact cleaner on the microswitches with the belly open.

Wiggling them vigorously did get them up on my J, but one time they didn't retract when I had to execute a last minute go-around when a Cessna decided to cross the active as I was about to touchdown at an uncontrolled airport. That was one of three times in my flying career when I got an adrenaline rush because she just didn't want to climb with them fully down.

47 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Wiggling them vigorously did get them up on my J, but one time they didn't retract when I had to execute a last minute go-around when a Cessna decided to cross the active as I was about to touchdown at an uncontrolled airport. That was one of three times in my flying career when I got an adrenaline rush because she just didn't want to climb with them fully down.

Mine climbed okay with the flaps stuck down once I got the gear up.   Leaving the gear down seems to really kill climb performance.

My sticky flaps would self-clear as soon as I got down to close to no airspeed.   If I left the switch up by the time I was taxiing off the runway they were up, but they would not retract in flight.  In my case I wound up changing out one of the microswitches, as cleaning it never seemed to last for very long.

Just now, EricJ said:

Mine climbed okay with the flaps stuck down once I got the gear up.   Leaving the gear down seems to really kill climb performance.

My sticky flaps would self-clear as soon as I got down to close to no airspeed.   If I left the switch up by the time I was taxiing off the runway they were up, but they would not retract in flight.  In my case I wound up changing out one of the microswitches, as cleaning it never seemed to last for very long.

Temperature and weight had a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

If you want to do some homework...

We have a thread or two around here that discusses relays and limit switches on the flap systems of the long bodies...

They are industrial/commercial, heavy duty, devices that don’t last as long as some would think...

Probably requires being soldered / de-soldered in place...

Access to them is under the belly panel nearest the flaps.

It may make some sense to pull the panel, find the devices and see why they don’t want to work properly...

Bring your favorite mechanic along to verify your electronics ID-ing and cleaning procedures and materials....  

This is typical of oxidized/dirty relays... tripping the CBs is probably something more serious...

A tripped CB might be caused by a limit switch not operating properly... there is a risk of bending and breaking things when limit switches don’t work right...

PP thoughts only... not a mechanic... all stuff I read on MS...

Best regards,

-a-

Hello everyone. I just picked up my Mooney from the Mooney service station at Lapeer D95. They replaced the control unit on the flaps, which Mooney guys (Kevin and Stacy) shipped it to them in those few hours they were open last Monday. What a great bunch of guys. Lapeer guys did a great work and everything is back to normal. Except the ice I picked on my 19 mile to KFNT all went great. Go Mooney guys. 

Perry

• Like 6

Thank you Mike. They sure are great people. As well as all the Mooney center guys at Lapeer or any other ones. I just noticed that the title of the  chain is misspelled. Stock vs stuck. Must have been auto correct or frustration at the time. Sorry guys. 

‘’Perry

• Like 1