NYC trip / FBO rates

Ricky_231

Ended up landing at CDW anyway. There are probably cheaper ways to get into the city as many pointed out,  but it was an uneventful Lyft ride into town so no problem.

Folks at Air Bound aviation were super nice, airport was quiet and parking was easy. 

I realized later that I arrived at pretty much the same time as that other Mooney that crash landed at Republic - I’m glad that they’re OK but also that my wife didn’t have to see all the commotion that must have caused at the airport. She’s not a nervous flyer but that might’ve hit a little too close to home.

I might take a friend up tomorrow to fly the Hudson corridor and return to CDW. Let’s see how nice they’ll be at the FBO - i.e. are they going to let me go up and back and consider that part of “one stay” or are they going to charge me landing/ramp fees all over again. I think there’s no escape from the landing fee as that’s charged by the airport, but hopefully they’ll waive the ramp fee. 

• Like 1

Stinky pants is a great aviator/person/videographer/friend/Mooney guy...  :)

Read up and print out the special details regarding flying up the Hudson River...

Different levels of ATC involvement or below 1k’, just reporting points...

Avoid flying the East River... unless really familiar with the newish X-manhattan flyway... the East River is really narrow, comes to an end, and left Cory Lidle and his CFI short of space for making a U-turn...

Watch the helicopters, there are lots of them... more during the holidays...

Stay to the right, fly over the bridges, keep both eyes open all the time, head on a swivel...

Its a great flight... get a good pic of Lady Liberty... nothing says freedom like a pic from inside your Mooney looking out at the statue... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Final report:

Ended up parking in Caldwell as noted above. FBO was great even on Jan 1 when we flew back. Plane was very well secured to the ground when we got there - which is good considering the wind and gusts we got on Monday/Tuesday. They did tug the plane around once or twice to make way for other planes on the ramp - I had the "you know the turn limits are very narrow on mooneys" talk with the line guy and when I got back there was no sign of oversteering. 

$20/night parking as advertised + ramp fee waived with 23 gallons. 

Lyft ride (half the price of Uber in NY!) was 45min, $59. A little more on they way back because of New Year's Day surge pricing everywhere.

Flight in (JYO - CDW) I filed IFR and asked for 9000FT for best tailwind. ATC (mostly because of Philly) kept me at 5000' all the way, which cost me 15knots and added some time to the trip. I also had a 15 min delayed departure out of JYO because of too many planes going in the same direction apparently. I also spent a good 20 min wiping off bird sh*t from the plane before taking off. So all in all, we ended up arriving over 1 hour later than we had planned - but we were on vacation, so no problem.

Flight back was VFR - we waited until the cloud deck was at around 4000' getting out of NY (around 2pm), but then clear skies after Philly, and I wanted the option of staying out of clouds at my discretion as there were many reports of mod/sev icing on the way in the morning. It was my first time flying VFR in the NY/NJ area so I got flight following after transitioning over MMU which was the best decision I took. Jets at 3-4000ft everywhere I looked. IT WAS SO BUMPY. The whole way back. We knew it was going to be bad - so we were mentally prepared. We tried 3500, then 4500, then 6500 - that was the worst, so back to 4500. Hand flew most of the way because the autopilot was getting its ass kicked. Finally landed at JYO in what was probably my best crosswind landing so far - I guess I was extremely focused because it was the first time I had to face 13 knot cross winds in a Mooney. Conclusion: it was an uncomfortable, high attention required, but uneventful flight. No pictures though. Obviously.

Overall a very successful trip - we got to spend a few days in NY, had a great NYE dinner at a friend's place, and got to fly the Mooney on the first day of 2020. 

On 12/31/2019 at 3:31 AM, carusoam said:

Stinky pants is a great aviator/person/videographer/friend/Mooney guy...  :)

Read up and print out the special details regarding flying up the Hudson River...

Different levels of ATC involvement or below 1k’, just reporting points...

Avoid flying the East River... unless really familiar with the newish X-manhattan flyway... the East River is really narrow, comes to an end, and left Cory Lidle and his CFI short of space for making a U-turn...

Watch the helicopters, there are lots of them... more during the holidays...

Stay to the right, fly over the bridges, keep both eyes open all the time, head on a swivel...

Its a great flight... get a good pic of Lady Liberty... nothing says freedom like a pic from inside your Mooney looking out at the statue... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I flew the Hudson a couple of times - always the skyline transition at 1500-2000' though. Was looking forward to flying low this time, but clouds, strong winds, LLWS, turbulence, and every available AIRMET/SIGMET possible prevented it from happening. Next time.

• Like 1