NYC trip / FBO rates

Ricky_231

I know this has been the topic of many threads around here, so I'll keep it short and (hopefully) useful. Wife and I are going to NYC for NYE (Dec 28 - Jan 1) - we're staying in midtown, so I was checking out FBO rates at TEB and CDW (the closest/fastest to where we'll be staying). Since price info on airnav, aopa, or FBO websites is less than accurate, I called. Here's the rundown:

TEB

- Meridian: $21.25 landing fee + $55/day (they call it ramp, but it's ramp + parking). You get 1 night "free" with every 15 gallons of fuel purchased (they'll round it up if you're close). Fuel is $7.44/gal.

- Signature West/East: $21.25 landing fee + $35 handling (waived with 7 gallons @ $7.54/gal) + $125/night or after 1-hour parking (yes, ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS for a single piston)

- Signature South - didn't call, but she told me it'd be a little cheaper, but I'd have to buy more fuel. After the $125/night I didn't even bother

- Jet Aviation - didn't call either as avgas goes for $8.34 and their website makes it very clear we're not their target audience

CDW

- Air Bound Aviation: $10 landing fee + $25 ramp fee (waiver with 20 gallons @ $5.75/gal) + $20/day parking

We'll be going to CDW.

3 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Did you check Sheltair at FRG? The LIRR is pretty fast and direct to Manhattan...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked on Google Maps and the fastest route I found was by car at 1h-1h30. Taking the train, according to GMaps would take over 2:30 hours. From CDW it'll take me 45min by Uber...

Unless I'm doing something wrong and there's a much faster way by train that I'm not finding?

I checked on Google Maps and the fastest route I found was by car at 1h-1h30. Taking the train, according to GMaps would take over 2:30 hours. From CDW it'll take me 45min by Uber...
Unless I'm doing something wrong and there's a much faster way by train that I'm not finding?

Yeah you’re doing something wrong. And Sheltair will drop off and pick up at station which is close by...

Train under an hour...

caf9c74918b17902f709466980efeb49.jpg

interesting - I can't get google maps to give me the drive + train option. So it's having me walk for 30 min + bus to farmingdale then train...

anyway, thanks a lot!

I'll call them tomorrow and check rates. This might be a much easier and cheaper solution than ubering from cdw.

• Like 2

I thought about Linden - but the reality is that most of the time spent to get into the city is in crossing over to manhattan, so you may shave 10-15 min here or there by flying in a little closer, closer to a train station, but I'm still looking for that hidden gem that will get me to midtown in 20 min. :-).

Even TEB that's super close (12-15mi) will take you at least 35 min because of traffic.

I'm going to look into FRG, Linden, and other airports that can put me close to a train station, but I'm trying not to stress too much over any of this - if I wanted speed I would've taken the train all the way from DC (3:30hrs door-to-door). This is meant to be fun - so I'm OK if it takes me a few more minutes.

That being said, there's no way I'm paying $125/night for parking. That's my monthly tie-down at a very expensive home airport.

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Last time I went there, I parked at White Plains. The rates were great, it was a 5 minuet cab ride to the train station then a 20 minute train ride to Grand Central Station.

I'll look into it - not even going to bother with Signature, but maybe Ross Aviation is doable.

Now I must be doing something very wrong - I can't find any trains that go that fast into town. The fastest I could find is 45 min from White Plains North to Grand Central. Is there an express line that I'm not seeing?

2 hours ago, Ricky_231 said:

I'll look into it - not even going to bother with Signature, but maybe Ross Aviation is doable.

Now I must be doing something very wrong - I can't find any trains that go that fast into town. The fastest I could find is 45 min from White Plains North to Grand Central. Is there an express line that I'm not seeing?

It was about 10 years ago, It didn’t seem like 45 minuets. It only stoped once or twice if I recall.

I parked at Panorama, which isn’t there anymore. Like a lot of things aviation, they changed for the worse. Panorama had reasonable parking and fuel prices. It doesn’t look like any of the FBOs have reasonable fuel prices now. 

Sorry for the stale advice.

7 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

It was about 10 years ago, It didn’t seem like 45 minuets. It only stoped once or twice if I recall.

I parked at Panorama, which isn’t there anymore. Like a lot of things aviation, they changed for the worse. Panorama had reasonable parking and fuel prices. It doesn’t look like any of the FBOs have reasonable fuel prices now. 

Sorry for the stale advice.

no worries - sounds like an express line though. I'll ask my friends who live in the city - maybe they'll know.

At any rate, we're super excited about the trip. We had planned to go on Sunday, but weather forecast is iffy so we moved it up to Saturday to take advantage of the high pressure system that's supposed to be in effect through Sat night. If it's bad we'll drive and this entire conversation is moot :-)

23 minutes ago, HIghpockets said:

No matter what airfield you chose, I would suggest the final leg to Manhattan by train. Traffic, especially at bridges and tunnels can be a nightmare. Personally, I would do Princeton and take NJ Transit into NYC.

That was my first thought - but we'll be carrying luggage and gifts, and we'd have to change trains at least once. I'll do that when I'm by myself - I don't want to make my wife have to battle NY pedestrian traffic while carrying bags. So we'll likely uber and deal with traffic, but at least we'll be in a car and not being pushed and shoved by the angry mob that permanently inhabits new york's streets and public transportation system.

CDW, MMU (Morristown), HPN (white plains), are the most common airports on the West side of NYC to go to for GA.  The Long Island airports FRG and ISP are similar but slightly more inconvenient unless coming from the northeast of NYC.  (Most likely have to go around the class B). No one airport is significantly better than the others when you factor in cost, time to city, and ease of getting in or out..so pick one ( which you already have) and enjoy.  Happy New Year.

Brian

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vno said:

CDW, MMU (Morristown), HPN (white plains), are the most common airports on the West side of NYC to go to for GA.  The Long Island airports FRG and ISP are similar but slightly more inconvenient unless coming from the northeast of NYC.  (Most likely have to go around the class B). No one airport is significantly better than the others when you factor in cost, time to city, and ease of getting in or out..so pick one ( which you already have) and enjoy.  Happy New Year.

Brian

yup - as any pilot worth their salt, I obviously obsessed over this for days, trying to figure out the absolute BEST option, factoring in time, cost, convenience etc. just to realize in the end that it was all going to be fairly similar, with the notable exception of TEB, which would add quite a bit to my tab.

at the end of the day, flying ourselves to NY will be:

• considerably cheaper than taking the train
  • about the same cost and time as flying commercial, but more convenient - I go whenever I want, avoid TSA lines, long walks inside airport terminals, time waiting to board
  • about 2-3 hours faster than driving, about the same cost once you factor in parking in NYC
  • a LOT MORE FUN

47N (central Jersey) has the low cost fuel in the area...

39N (Princeton) has a good maintenance shop, if needed...

New Jersey Transit has an app and internet site to help select trains and things...

These airports are about an hour away on the west side of Manhattan...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I would definitely go to Linden.  It is 2 miles from the train station, the train is ~40 minutes from there to Penn Station.  And if you want to Uber, it isn't much further than Teterboro (depending where you are going).  We got one of our club planes stuck for a few days there due to mechanical problems and it was like $20 dollars a day or somthing like that.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, carusoam said:

47N (central Jersey) has the low cost fuel in the area...

39N (Princeton) has a good maintenance shop, if needed...

New Jersey Transit has an app and internet site to help select trains and things...

These airports are about an hour away on the west side of Manhattan...

Best regards,

-a-

47N fuel is awesome ($4.17 I think).  I need about 35 gallons right now and I'm probably heading there tomorrow to fill up.

• Like 1

I like HPN and taking the train from White Plains.  40 min grand central.  Also depends whether you want NYP or Grand Central as your destination.  I was surprised that the fees at HPN west were less than expected (we used Ross last time).  

Farmingdale (republic) is a 1.5 hour trip into the city. 

I did my initial instruction there while I lived in Brooklyn. I made that trip a few times a week. 

it can be longer if you time it poorly. 

Depends on where you’re going... only 45 mins to say queens, under an hour to penn station... but importantly low stress trip.

On 12/26/2019 at 6:03 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Last time I went there, I parked at White Plains. The rates were great, it was a 5 minuet cab ride to the train station then a 20 minute train ride to Grand Central Station.

I usually go to White Plains when I go to NYC - White Plains is the closest option when coming from the North as I am.

There are several FBO's but I think most if you ask nicely will actually drive you that 5 min to the train station.  From there its a straight shot to the city.

1 hour ago, gsengle said:

Depends on where you’re going... only 45 mins to say queens, under an hour to penn station... but importantly low stress trip.

If you get to the train as it shows up and you don’t have to transfer. 

and if the trains are on time. 

And you don’t have to stop at the employee stop. 

and if there’s no traffic into penn. 

yeah, you might be able to do it within an hour. 

On 12/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ricky_231 said:

Listen to @gsengle.  I live on the island and can tell you that the LIRR train will be about as fast and less expensive (you’ll purchase off-peak tickets at the lower cost, as you’re likely not commuting in during rush hour) than an Uber or Lyft.  Check with SheltAir at Republic.  I used to be based with them when I was there, and they’re good folks to work with.

Steve

• Like 1