Mooney bravo m20m edm indication

pkofman

I have an aspen and g5 plus the original electrical AI. Interestingly today that high pitch Sound disappeared after only. a few minutes.
This plane has a thing about wanting to empty my wallet chasing intermittent issues !!!!  

I'm a noob and no expert...and I have no idea what the exhaust mainfold looks like on a Bravo.

But--years ago when I owned an M20J I had something similar happen to that airplane--minus the high pitched noise.  One EGT (I think it was #2) suddenly read very low or was just missing/not registering at all at low power settings.  When I pushed it up it was almost normal...and of course the engine ran just fine.

turned out a bolt had broken where that exhaust attached to the cylinder, and enough exhaust to excite the probe only went down the pipe when it had enough velocity--high power settings.  It was an easy fix once found.

so you might check that if you haven't already and if it makes sense for the Bravo arrangement.

PJ

• Like 1

Just now, PJClark said:

I'm a noob and no expert...and I have no idea what the exhaust mainfold looks like on a Bravo.

But--years ago when I owned an M20J I had something similar happen to that airplane--minus the high pitched noise.  One EGT (I think it was #2) suddenly read very low or was just missing/not registering at all at low power settings.  When I pushed it up it was almost normal...and of course the engine ran just fine.

turned out a bolt had broken where that exhaust attached to the cylinder, and enough exhaust to excite the probe only went down the pipe when it had enough velocity--high power settings.  It was an easy fix once found.

so you might check that if you haven't already and if it makes sense for the Bravo arrangement.

PJ

:) Hoping for an easy solution.. into the shop soon , thank you

Resolutions to this problem that may help others';

Item #1 . erratic indication #4 cylinder on edm 700;

So here is the final edm#4 result

It turns our that  odd  ( no bar and  erratic low indication) on the #4 cylinder was caused by a loose connection on the exhaust or where it is measured

They tightened the clamp or bolt and "voila" it worked and is back to normal

Item #2 very high pitched noise

This had nothing to do with the edm, it just unfortunately started at the exact same time

The noise was coming from the T/B indicator gyro.

Unrelated issues but it sent me on a path of discovery

Thank you to all for your assistance and advice

Hope this can help others I the future

Pete

• Like 3