ADSB Poll

Seth

ADSB Compliant and Gameplan  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Is your aircraft ADSB Compliant?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If not compliant, what is your plan?

• Base and fly outside ADSB Airspace
    • Use Waiver until I install ADSB Compliant Equipment
    • Move aircraft out of ADSB Airspace until I install ADSB Compliant Equipment
    • My aircraft is ADSB Compliant

I'm curious as to ADSB compliance and choices our pilots/owners made for the upcoming 2020 deadline.

In installed a GTX345 when my King transponder died on me at the end of 2017 (installed late December 2017).

-Seth

Edited by Seth

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Your poll is flawed. If you are compliant, it forces you to answer the second question, which makes question invalid.

Poll is fixed.  There was an error and there were are two threads.  I've erased as much as I could the other after fixing this one.

Edited by Seth
  • Like 1

I know a few have publicly declared their intentions of remaining non-ADS-B. It is great that you live in area that you can fly without it. I wonder how much more planning will be required though if you decide to take that little vacation 500 miles away. Living the dream in the northeast, it is a virtual certainty that you will run into someone's Mode C airspace. And when it comes to sell, I think not having ADS-B will make it more difficult.

I think like many, I was hoping that ADS-B was going to go away like the Mode S requirement back in the 1990s. Now that I have it, specifically the "in" piece, I find it pretty useful, especially for traffic. I still remember that trip from AirMods where I was hoping to get flight following back from my annual and MacGuire couldn't get Philly to take me. Finding myself sandwiched between the presidential TFR to the north and Philly Bravo, I appreciated having the ability to see the ant trail all of us were on.

Philly 1.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Seth said:

I'm curious as to ADSB compliance and choices our pilots/owners made for the upcoming 2020 deadline.

In installed a GTX345 when my King transponder died on me at the end of 2017 (installed late December 2017).

-Seth

Installed a KT-74 in October 2015 and replaced it with a remote AXP 322 (ADS-B Out) and FreeFlight Ranger (ADS-B In) last October.

• Like 1

Being based in the EU, I don't have to have ADS-B, just mode-s, for which I am compliant with a KT73.

Will need ADS-B when I finally man up to fly to Osh or the Summit, but it will be a few years.  Not even on the wishlist for 2020.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HIghpockets said:

GTX 345. Great box. Traffic on 430W and Foreflght iPAD.

+ FS210 and you can transfer flight plans between the ipad and the 430W. It'll automatically decode victor airways, saving you SO MUCH knob turning, and it'll automatically create user waypoints if you add a random spot (lat/lon) to your route on the ipad. Best $1000 I spent on the plane.

• Like 1

I did the Skybeacon.  It only made sense at the time.  Quick install and cheapest on the market at the time (considering install time).  Got the $500 rebate too.  When I made that call, I was under the impression uAvionix was going to certify their left wing ADS-B in and a LED light solution so I'd have a full LED and ADS-B in and out solution.  They've since dropped plans to certify the ADS-B in solution. With that said, I'm already looking at going to a Lynx NGT-9000.  I'm getting ready to do a full panel upgrade and figured why not get ADS-B in on the panel at the same time.  I can also clean up and steamline the wingtips compared to the skybeacon.

3 minutes ago, Davidv said:

GNX-375, comes with Garmin Connext which is basically the same as flightstream except you still need to update databases with SD card.

GNX375 was in the consideration set when I installed the gtx345. I ended up going with the gtx345+FS210 for a couple of reasons:

• cheaper - the GNX375 would add about $3k to my total bill vs gtx345+fs210
    • actually - don't you have to buy FS510 to add flight plan transfer capability to the gnx375?  that's an additional $1500 - so the bill would be up by $4500..
  • I already have a GNS430W, an old Avidyne MFD, and foreflight on my ipad - I didn't really see the point in adding yet another GPS/moving map display to my cockpit
    • I  thought about having the GNX375 as my primary GPS (touchscreen, connext, all the goodies), but I really like the integrated radio and frequency loading feature on the 430w, especially for ILSs
  • the gnx375 was backordered and taking about 2 months to be delivered when I had adsb installed. the gtx345 was delivered in 7 days

anyway - super happy with the 430w+gtx345+fs210+ipad setup

41 minutes ago, Ricky_231 said:

GNX375 was in the consideration set when I installed the gtx345. I ended up going with the gtx345+FS210 for a couple of reasons:

• cheaper - the GNX375 would add about $3k to my total bill vs gtx345+fs210
    • actually - don't you have to buy FS510 to add flight plan transfer capability to the gnx375?  that's an additional $1500 - so the bill would be up by $4500..
  • I already have a GNS430W, an old Avidyne MFD, and foreflight on my ipad - I didn't really see the point in adding yet another GPS/moving map display to my cockpit
    • I  thought about having the GNX375 as my primary GPS (touchscreen, connext, all the goodies), but I really like the integrated radio and frequency loading feature on the 430w, especially for ILSs
  • the gnx375 was backordered and taking about 2 months to be delivered when I had adsb installed. the gtx345 was delivered in 7 days

anyway - super happy with the 430w+gtx345+fs210+ipad setup

Sounds like you made out pretty well in any case, but no flight stream is required with the 375.  I bought the unit for $6850 (plus about 15 hours to install) and it came with connext.  I can transfer either to or from ForeFlight.

15 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Sounds like you made out pretty well in any case, but no flight stream is required with the 375.  I bought the unit for $6850 (plus about 15 hours to install) and it came with connext.  I can transfer either to or from ForeFlight.

ah good to know - i was under the impression you needed fs510 to make it work with the gnx375.

I went the ultra-cheap route and installed a skybeacon (with $500 rebate) on my wingtip with my existing KT-76.  IA let me do the work myself and then inspected and signed off my logs, so install cost was $0.  For my "in" solution, I built a dual channel Stratux with WAAS GPS and an AHRS for $165.

Since everyone is pulling these transponders out and no one is installing them they are available "working when removed" for $100. :D

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I went the ultra-cheap route and installed a skybeacon (with $500 rebate) on my wingtip with my existing KT-76.  IA let me do the work myself and then inspected and signed off my logs, so install cost was $0.  For my "in" solution, I built a dual channel Stratux with WAAS GPS and an AHRS for $165.

Since everyone is pulling these transponders out and no one is installing them they are available "working when removed" for $100. :D

Same setup I went with, but I wasn't as lucky on the install as there wasn't enough wire and had to open the wing and add wire to extend it.