2020 Aviation Goals

Seth

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Congratulations! 

Thanks. I tried to do it in 2019 in a 172 but didn’t get to try the landings because the weather rapidly deteriorated. When I realized I only had the landings left I asked the examiner if I could just finish in my Mooney and he said “yes”. @donkaye came to the rescue and flew down here and spent the day doing landings with me to prep for the checkride. Today was easy compared to what Don put me through!

Thanks again, Don. Your reputation is well-deserved and your help is much appreciated.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Thanks. I tried to do it in 2019 in a 172 but didn’t get to try the landings because the weather rapidly deteriorated. When I realized I only had the landings left I asked the examiner if I could just finish in my Mooney and he said “yes”. @donkaye came to the rescue and flew down here and spent the day doing landings with me to prep for the checkride. Today was easy compared to what Don put me through!

Thanks again, Don. Your reputation is well-deserved and your help is much appreciated.

Yes sir, indeed .

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Congratulations, I knew you would do well!

In late 2018 I was a 400 hour private pilot with no idea what I wanted to do in life. I originally wanted to be a commercial pilot but discovering I was legally blind in one eye, I had thought there was no way I could do that. It took me 6 months of red tape to get a 3rd class for my private. One day I sat down with two close friends who fly for different ends of the aviation spectrum (121 vs 135) and they convinced me commercial is the way to go and that there is a way to get my 1st class even with one eye.

Starting 2019, my goal was to finish the year with a 2nd class medical, 750 hours, instrument rated, and commercial single & multi. I finished December 31, 2019 with 680 hours, Instrument, Commercial Single & Multi and my unrestricted 2nd class medical.

My goal for 2020- become a CFI, get some sort of paying aviation job to stave off the bills, obtain 1st class medical, reach 1500 hours, get my ATP and join a regional airline.

All being done in my Mooney (sans the multi) and eating ramen noodles

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

In late 2018 I was a 400 hour private pilot with no idea what I wanted to do in life. I originally wanted to be a commercial pilot but discovering I was legally blind in one eye, I had thought there was no way I could do that. It took me 6 months of red tape to get a 3rd class for my private. One day I sat down with two close friends who fly for different ends of the aviation spectrum (121 vs 135) and they convinced me commercial is the way to go and that there is a way to get my 1st class even with one eye.

Starting 2019, my goal was to finish the year with a 2nd class medical, 750 hours, instrument rated, and commercial single & multi. I finished December 31, 2019 with 680 hours, Instrument, Commercial Single & Multi and my unrestricted 2nd class medical.

My goal for 2020- become a CFI, get some sort of paying aviation job to stave off the bills, obtain 1st class medical, reach 1500 hours, get my ATP and join a regional airline.

All being done in my Mooney (sans the multi) and eating ramen noodles

Go for it!! But let the regional airline pay for your ATP.  You won’t need it to get hired.  As soon as you hit 1500 hours with a first class medical, you’ll get hired.  When you upgrade to captain at that regional airline, the check ride/type ride is the same as ATP ride.  No reason to do it twice.  :) 

Look into the single engine cargo operators.  Had a 19yo kid catch a Jumpseat ride out of MEM or somewhere in TN, he was flying right seat in a single engine turbo prop.  Already had a job with Mesa airlines as soon as he hit 1500 hours.  He was/is way ahead of the game. He can’t even take his ATP ride until he turns 23. 

• Like 2

2020 CFII reinstated, or MEI

I’m at 1,495 hours, so maybe an ATP next year.  My plan is to retire from the day job at 58 (10 years to go) assuming I hit my retirement goals, then semi-retire doing instruction and some right seat 135 and / or 91 ops.  One upon a time I did the ATP written and got a class 1 medical - and then quit flying completely for 12 years.

Alex, it's been a joy watching you make progress toward your goal.  

When you get about 1400 hours, start putting your applications in.  You'll start getting interviews and job offers.  Some of the regionals will give you a job at 1480 hours because it'll take 20 hours of sim time for you to finish up.  

Silver Airlines flies all around Florida in big turboprops, part 121.  Relatively easy transition from where you are and a reasonably quick upgrade to Captain.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Like 3

For the advisors...

+1 The outpouring of Experience Based advice is awesome...

For the advised...

+1 The continued seeking of advice... double checking when you hear unwanted answers... rechecking other options... IS the way to go...

Great leadership example...

My favorite example above... ILC Rocks!   Nearly completed exercise until weather gets in the way... negotiates with the examiner a plausible route to completion using own bird...  to ensure success... contracts the best CFII with the specific experience of being the Mooney Landing Guy!  Go DK!

An example of the il-advised...

I gave up too early on my primary aviation goal when they handed me a pair of glasses... and told me about Missile silos....  :) Alex has set an awesome example of the right way to go..!

So flying an F15 with glasses may(?) not be possible... my goal at the time was flying Boeing 727s... I failed to ask enough questions... to the right people...

SODAs and SIs are badges of courage earned along the way...

Find out what you need... Make it happen!

Don’t be afraid to ask!

Never be to cool to execute the checklist, or the go-around... read the POH just for fun... :)

Go MS!

PP thoughts only, not even a CP... yet.

Best regards,

-a-

• 9 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, David Lloyd said:

Learn how to use a fancy, new GPS navigator.

Keep an old airplane running.

Not bend metal.

Check.

Check.

Check.  2.5 Months to go.

Got a very thorough IPC with a recent ER grad that wants to check all the boxes. Bumpy day with a lot of wind, what a workout!  Also got a very thorough flight review with the same instructor. It was more intense than the previous several reviews put together.  Overboard, but I really needed a good stretch.

Next thing for 2020 is add a couple G5s to the panel. That might go into January 2021.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, EricJ said:

2018 - Instrument rating completed.

2019 - Airframe maintenance certificate completed.

2020 - Powerplant certificate, assuming thing go as planned.   Might also get a multi-engine rating as a continuing strategy to avoid having to do a BFR.  ;)

2021 - Wealth and splendor.

As long as we're reviewing...

Got the Powerplant certificate, after the usual virus-related interference with school.   It was an interesting adventure, but it's done now, so I am a fully certificated mechanic with A&P ratings now.   I still don't know squat, but I have the cert.  ;)

Also got the MEI while we were off waiting for school to restart, so another BFR has been successfully avoided.  So now I'm a PPL IR MEI and still really don't feel like I know what I'm doing, but I have the certs. 

2021 goal is still in place.   Still working on it.  ;)

• Like 1