Want to play a game?

INA201

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd like to fly as soon as possible so I'm not waiting for stuff that isn't STC'd today, and frankly who knows when it will be available.

Stec3100 Autopilot
Aspen PFD/MFD
Avidyne IFD540/440 stack
L3 NGT9000 remote
GDL69a
JPI EDM-900
Panel mount compass

Did I overspend? I might have. 

Not to be a pain in the .... but technically the 3100 would keep you on the ground a little longer in a Mooney aircraft. ;)

Edited by MIm20c

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the stuff in the plane. But when I get into a 135 charter and see what they are flying with, got to make you wonder if things are upside down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When my dad looks at just the information on my tablet compared to what he had in the 80's flying HC-130's around Alaska he is amazed.

• Like 1

I’ve noticed in many of the used listings a large PFD commands a healthy premium. For this reason any future panel redesign will include a 10 g3x as a building block. 

I guess I’m lame but at three AM when my kids are up coughing I’ll bring up the FS listings and plan out my next panel design. I don’t care what the planes currently have the very first thing I do is shoehorn in a large pfd and make sure a WAAS navigator is driving it.

PMA450B

IFD550

IFD540

NGT9000R- controlled by the 550

MVP50 Engine Monitor

MD93 Clock/USB Charging

Aspen 2500 MAX with Syn Viz/ADS-B and AOA Unlocks or 2000 Max if using G5 (See Below)

iPad Mount on RH panel with IFD100 App for added Situational Awareness

AP Options- GFC 500 with G5 for feeding the AP only or TruTrak (When Available) or S-Tec 3100

Just my less than 2 cents worth

And have plenty of money left for fuel and drinks when we are done with it.  

Edited by Baker Avionics
Misspelled word
  • Like 2

PMA450B
IFD550
IFD540
NGT9000R- controlled by the 550
MVP50 Engine Monitor
MD93 Clock/USB Charging
Aspen 2500 MAX with Syn Viz/ADS-B and AOA Unlocks or 2000 Max if using G5 (See Below)
iPad Mount on RH panel with IFD100 App for added Situational Awareness
AP Options- GFC 500 with G5 for feeding the AP only or TruTrak (When Available) or S-Tec 3100

Just my less than 2 cents worth

And have plenty of money left for fuel and drinks when we are done with it.  

Do you really need the MD93, I assume Aspen has a timer/clock and the 450B has a USB charging port.

Tom

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

At this point I'd wait for the Dynon HDX autopilot to be certified for the Mooney and go that route (https://www.dynoncertified.com). I'd add an Avidyne FMS and a PS Engineering Audio Panel. I'd save the remaining $35 - $40,000 in reserve for engine, prop and fuel tanks expenses down the road.

You think you can do something like this with the 440 driving the Dynon for 60k? That would be pretty reasonable if it’s possible compared to the Garmin set up. Dynon has had a lot of practice but Garmin has a really good reputation. What’s a G3x installed price look like? 

B731E441-45C7-48F9-A047-F1C8AB22A081.jpeg

43 minutes ago, INA201 said:

You think you can do something like this with the 440 driving the Dynon for 60k? That would be pretty reasonable if it’s possible compared to the Garmin set up. Dynon has had a lot of practice but Garmin has a really good reputation. What’s a G3x installed price look like? 

B731E441-45C7-48F9-A047-F1C8AB22A081.jpeg

I'm going to say yes even with a little left over, but let's hear from a Dynon dealer . . . . @Jesse Saint 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I'm going to say yes even with a little left over, but let's hear from a Dynon dealer . . . . @Jesse Saint 

@LANCECASPER, You definitely can for sure!  The Dynon isn't too terribly expensive and will have plenty left over for other things.  We are in the process of 2 currently between Aspen and TT systems on PA28's.

Edited by Baker Avionics

59 minutes ago, siu1526 said:

I had issues in the past with FS510, never had an issue with 210.. That just my two cents.. I’m sure there’s better equipment out there, but i like Garmin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what issues with the 510? seems to be one of the few Garmin products that I have to call tech support about

13 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

@LANCECASPER, You definitely can for sure!  The Dynon isn't too terribly expensive and will have plenty left over for other things.  We are in the process of 2 currently between Aspen and TT systems on PA28's.

Let’s say you went all Dynon with engine monitor, autopilot, 10” screen, ADSB, audio panel, Avidyne 540, Avidyne 440 on one hand.

How would the pricing compare to the GTN750, GTN650, remote audio, GFC500, GTX345, G3X setup with Labor etc? 

32 minutes ago, INA201 said:

Let’s say you went all Dynon with engine monitor, autopilot, 10” screen, ADSB, audio panel, Avidyne 540, Avidyne 440 on one hand.

How would the pricing compare to the GTN750, GTN650, remote audio, GFC500, GTX345, G3X setup with Labor etc? 

probably 20% more. the labor involved is the same. its just a different product. the garmin will get you that same 10 to 15% premium when you decide to sell.

what issues with the 510? seems to be one of the few Garmin products that I have to call tech support about

We had a weird glitch with the data transfer and after 30 minutes or so it would disconnect the iPads, we try multiple devices and it would still do it. Garmin first said it was do you overheating (it a hit and miss with their tech support sometimes) but i believe it was fixed after a firmware update.. Never saw the airplane again. Now that being said i really can’t judge a product base on one bad experience, im sure they are great. I personally have a FS210 in my aircraft and i really like it, so i’m mostly going with my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, INA201 said:

Dynon- $30k installed with engine monitor w/o AP (high side, all options to include Syn Viz, blah blah blah)

NGT9000R- $7k installed

PM450B- $3500 installed

Avidyne IFD540 and 440- $30k installed

TruTrak/AeroCruze 100- $11.5k installed

$82,000.00

GTN 750 and 650- $30k installed

FlightStream 510- $1500

GMA35c- $3500 installed

GFC500- $13k installed (2 Axis)

GTX345- $7500 installed

G3x- approx. $20-25k installed (Depending on options, hard to estimate on specifics)

$80,500.00

I believe the other units were referenced, as far as pricing is concerned, earlier in the thread.

It really depends on how much you are getting your equipment for.  Now, the Dynon has a built in ADS-B system(if you wanted to use it's integral one), you seemed to also have left out the WiFi and BT capability for the GTN series as you would like to have that because you are trying to upgrade and get maximum capability out of your investment.  Your functionality in the comparing Audio Panels are unequaled because the PM450B is far superior.  Further, the installation labor is virtually identical so it is a wash, really.  So, which will have better functionality, better priced and are better units overall? Well, PS Engineering are the best for Audio Panels, hands down because it is what they do.  That IS Mark's business and has been for decades.  Dynon has been doing the Avionics Suite for a long time as well in the Experimental market and their price point for what they offer is phenomenal.  ADS-B L3 has been doing Traffic and Weather better than anyone else back when their units were BFG.  Again, like PS Engineering, they are the best in that market because it is what they do.  Now, GTN or IFD?  Well, again, my opinion is if you want a top of the line BASIC GPS, go with Garmin, they are the best GPS on the market and always have been.  However, I will preface that by saying we are talking about FMS systems in this case and if you want a better FMS, Avidyne leads the way on this, hands down, once again it is what they do best!  Not to mention the IFD series comes out of the box with Synthetic Vision, WiFi, Bluetooth and FLTA (Forward Looking Terrain Awareness) all for no extra charge and usually are less than the GTN series.  Also, think of the 2 options given here as one is like Apple (Garmin) and the other is like Microsoft (The others).  They all play nice together and with pretty much anything.  Taking NOTHING away from Garmin, they are getting pretty proprietary and you are being forced to get units that ONLY have their branding on them like iPads and MacBooks. While they are good at what they do, nothing about them is warranted to put them head and shoulders about anyone else because there is really no concentration on anything of theirs anymore.    Although the GFC500 is a really good AP, but can ONLY work with a G5.  How does that make sense?  If you purchase a TruTrak or an S-Tec, you have choices.  That is huge, in my book.  

I have customers that love Garmin and customers that love Avidyne and others.  All of them are right and I agree with them and their choices because as long as they are educated, they need to decide what is best for them.  I am glad to offer them whatever they decide.  The above, though, are just my opinions and reasons behind them. FWIW.  Please no throwing of rotten tomatoes, just giving my 2 cents here!!!! Go easy on me! LOL

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

At this point I'd wait for the Dynon HDX autopilot to be certified for the Mooney and go that route (https://www.dynoncertified.com). I'd add an Avidyne FMS and a PS Engineering Audio Panel. I'd save the remaining $35 - $40,000 in reserve for engine, prop and fuel tanks expenses down the road.

It depends on the mission. If you're going to bore holes in the sky VFR, buy slide-out used replacements for everything in the panel for less than $5000 and fly happily ever after and find something else to spend the $95000 on.

Or you could go ahead and get engine Dynon Monitor, ADSB,  with a PS Engineering 200B Audio panel with com radio.   Move one of the old radios down in the panel.  Then add the Dynon autopilot added in a couple years when they certify it. and have 50K left over to buy gas with.

18 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Or you could go ahead and get engine Dynon Monitor, ADSB,  with a PS Engineering 200B Audio panel with com radio.   Move one of the old radios down in the panel.  Then add the Dynon autopilot added in a couple years when they certify it. and have 50K left over to buy gas with.

You still need a certified WAAS GPS with the Dynon (Avidyne, Garmin)

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

I believe the plane, as stated in the original post is everything is basically on point. If the rest of the plane is in good shape, deck the friggin halls and rock around the proverbial tree folks!!!

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would not wait for Dynon, Avidyne, or Trio, or any manufacturer’s promises of certification, especially with autopilots. They all fail miserably to keep their promises.

Tom

So, just to make sure I understand and I am truly not trying to undermine your thought here, but you think whatever is available now, go for it!? I understand your point and it is very well taken, but just buy what is available now no matter what is on the horizon? Then why have these types of discussions and why have research of the newest things coming out soon? Sure ALL manufacturers disappoint, it's just to/on what are they going to disappoint on? There is actually good things on the horizon in the new year. This part of our industry is going to be turned on it's head if people make educated decisions because now they will have more choices. Whichever way they choose, it's a good thing all because they will have more precise and bast knowledge to make a better decision for them and not be minions because of a household name like when retired folks shop at Costco to save a buck but come home with 40 lbs. of beef that they process into freezer bags that gets freezer burn because they couldn't eat it fast enough or they give away their other 2 bags of Cheerios to their brand kids because it may go stale before the year 2036.  

"Satisfaction right now" shouldn't be a reason to our reason to purchase units for airplanes. "Have patience, educate and prepare" is what we promote here at the shop. 

Good on ya!

4 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would not wait for Dynon, Avidyne, or Trio, or any manufacturer’s promises of certification, especially with autopilots. They all fail miserably to keep their promises.

Tom

It's fine to shoot down ideas, but what is the alternative.  Installing a Legacy system?

• Like 1