Want to play a game?

INA201

Ok, not global thermo nuclear war, Isaac. For those who know the War Games reference.  
Anyway, we MS guys and gals each bought this J with a panel that happens to have all instruments inoperable and unserviceable.  Everything else about this plane is perfect, with new paint, new interior, and no squawks.  We have $100,000 to spend on getting the panel up to date.  Where do we start and what’s the best clean slate option to make it the perfect panel with a $100k limit? In lieu of voting we can tally up the number of chime ins for certain avionics and interpolate on what the panel would be based on our collective input. 

952D8A32-361B-42AE-A15D-7918258E64E8.jpeg

• Like 1

Glass panels are almost religious in nature. Each of us has a personal relationship to them, as part of the plane.

The certified systems all work good and they are all extremely capable. The choice is for layout, preference to information output and appearance. The capability is pretty much the same . 

They all lose half the value on installation so your $100,000 input will only raise the value of the plane by $50,000

• Like 2

If i had 100K to spend on my panel i would go with Dual G3X Primary 10” MFD 7” with engine monitoring option, Dual GTN’s #1 750 #2 650, Remote mount audio panel, Remote mount GTX 345, Flight stream 210, GDL69 for XM weather and radio, and Garmin autopilot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

The capability is pretty much the same

you’re exactly right...

If the OP does nothing to the panel but adding a waas GPS and ads-b transponder (say.. roughly 10K in total for a used 430W and KT-74, which includes install).... they will *legally* be able to fly to all the same capabilities as someone that does spend 100K on their panel (full garmin rig- autopilot, transponder, PFD, mfd).

some will argue that the extra 90K of investment is worth it.  Some will argue that it is not.  But the fact remains, both aircraft will be treated the same by ATC. (M20P/G)

Edited by M016576
  • Like 2

Oh... and if someone gave me 100K and said “invest this 100K in your panel”... I’d sell my Missile for 150K, and buy a bravo or 252 with encore upgrade (for big time U/L upgrade) and buy that... then pocket the remaining 30-50K, as those planes would probably already have a nice avionics suite!

• Like 2

Dual G5 + 4 servo GFC 500  $30,000

GTN650 $15,000

BT Audio Panel/Intercom $3000

Either JPI or EI primary capable engine monitor $8000

Cies Foats $2000

GNC 255 Nav/Com  $8000

GTX345 $6000

AV30 for use with the GNC 255 $4000

That's $76,000 installed which leaves me $24,000 for miscellaneous pieces and LOTS of gas.

At this point I'd wait for the Dynon HDX autopilot to be certified for the Mooney and go that route (https://www.dynoncertified.com). I'd add an Avidyne FMS and a PS Engineering Audio Panel. I'd save the remaining $35 - $40,000 in reserve for engine, prop and fuel tanks expenses down the road.

It depends on the mission. If you're going to bore holes in the sky VFR, buy slide-out used replacements for everything in the panel for less than $5000 and fly happily ever after and find something else to spend the $95000 on.

• Like 4

I'd like to fly as soon as possible so I'm not waiting for stuff that isn't STC'd today, and frankly who knows when it will be available.

Stec3100 Autopilot
Aspen PFD/MFD
Avidyne IFD540/440 stack
L3 NGT9000 remote
GDL69a
JPI EDM-900
Panel mount compass

Did I overspend? I might have. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Oldguy said:

I was afraid of that.

It does bring up the question of whether we have all gone mad. All of the local avionics shops are throwing in 50 to 100 AMU panels in planes. Is the mission to see if we can spend all of our kid's inheritance? (I'm trying).

I am happy that I was in a financial position to do the upgrade, but then I think back to the 22 years I flew my plane without all this stuff. Am I any safer? Either way, it sure looks purdy in the plane.

• Like 3

It does bring up the question of whether we have all gone mad. All of the local avionics shops are throwing in 50 to 100 AMU panels in planes. Is the mission to see if we can spend all of our kid's inheritance? (I'm trying).

I am happy that I was in a financial position to do the upgrade, but then I think back to the 22 years I flew my plane without all this stuff. Am I any safer? Either way, it sure looks purdy in the plane.

It’s about enjoying the plane, if it makes flying more enjoyable, and you don’t have to resort to eating dog food, what’s the problem?

If you going to try to justify spending 50-100 AMUs, use the same justification you used to buy the plane in the first place: I want it!

Tom

• Like 2

It’s about enjoying the plane, if it makes flying more enjoyable, and you don’t have to resort to eating dog food, what’s the problem.
If you going to try to justify spending 50-100 AMUs, use the same justification you used to buy the plane in the first place: I want it!

Tom

Don’t get me wrong, I love the stuff in the plane. But when I get into a 135 charter and see what they are flying with, got to make you wonder if things are upside down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1