The Old girl gets a new dress

MooneyTunes

15 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

I have been trying to get ahold of someone  There to do the same. 

pricing?

Better get your name in the hat soon. Hawk is BUSY. Are you dialing the right #? I’ve never had trouble getting a hold of someone there. Joe is pretty good at getting back to you with answers to any questions that you may have. Good luck.

Edited by MooneyTunes

• 1 month later...
Are you doing it yourself?  The picture looks like it’s in a T hangar.
Clarence

It is my T, but no they are on my field. They just put it back after initial stripping. That was just the first step, since you don’t know what you have until you “take the dress off”. I knew I had at least 1 spot of hangar rash that was poorly repaired, and didn’t know if I had any others.
I did notice the pitot tube bracket rusts easily, It looks like common steel, I will need them to take special care with it.
I also noticed that the stall strips have paint issues as well, I’ve checked other Mooneys, especially by the screws, I assume it’s because of dissimilar metals?

[mention=11849]ArtVandelay[/mention]  they need to remove the:-

1. stall strips - corrosion hides behind them
  2. vor aerials - as above
  3. wing end fairings
  4. flight controls 
  5. make sure they have got ALL the old paint off EVERYWHERE - including inside door frames
  6. The stripper is fully neutralised
  7. she is fully washed of all chemical agents and left to completely dry
  8. then the important. Part, go over the airframe with a toothcomb, find every “grey” (ie loose) rivet, bit of corrosion and get them fixed.
otherwise you are just paining over the cracks and are effectively wasting your money.

i did mine in 2016-2017, search obal refit for tips if you want them.  Happy to help, it is certainly a learning experience.

Andrew

Thanks,

1. See above

2. Mine are hidden

3. This was the first step, they haven’t touch all the non metal parts, etc

4. They washed it, then put it in my hangar. The paint you see is either non metal pieces or was under some tape, which I needed to pull off to get inside.

Just the first step, more to go

Chip does pretty good work but be certain to go over the paint job as each color goes on. They tend to have more runs than they should. I think it's due to the lighting in the hangar, making it hard to see well. I am also an expert high end automotive and aircraft painter, and I evaluated his shop before finally sending a friend's Cheyenne 400 to Foster's in Lakeland. There was also more dust in the paint due to unclean conditions around the hangar air intake system, which ends up in the paint job.

Edited by philiplane

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

@ArtVandelay  they need to remove the:-

1. stall strips - corrosion hides behind them
  2. vor aerials - as above
  3. wing end fairings
  4. flight controls 
  5. make sure they have got ALL the old paint off EVERYWHERE - including inside door frames
  6. The stripper is fully neutralised
  7. she is fully washed of all chemical agents and left to completely dry
  8. then the important. Part, go over the airframe with a toothcomb, find every “grey” (ie loose) rivet, bit of corrosion and get them fixed.

otherwise you are just paining over the cracks and are effectively wasting your money.

i did mine in 2016-2017, search obal refit for tips if you want them.  Happy to help, it is certainly a learning experience.

Andrew

Hawk does all that. They are VERY familiar with Mooneys. Right now Hawk has 4 Mooneys going through the process.  

15 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’m at Chips(KFPR). I never heard back from Hawks, in the end, they were all the same price. For example Mesa was a little cheaper, but they have a 10+% sales tax, where Florida has none on aviation maintenance.

What was the ballpark price?  I'm dying to get mine properly painted but I want to gamble on the stock market a bit to fund it...need a target...expecting $15k to $18k at this point.  So, $20k...

Cliff

What was the ballpark price?  I'm dying to get mine properly painted but I want to gamble on the stock market a bit to fund it...need a target...expecting $15k to $18k at this point.  So, $20k...
Cliff

Your range is correct, some include 8 hours of body work, some 16 hours. Actual quote depends on whether you use metallic paint, colors you use (reds are more expensive) , # of colors, if you want the gear disassembled and painted vs touch up, etc etc. That’s why generic quotes are useless.
  • Thanks 1

Vinyl registration marks make the most sense, they’re easy to change if you sell your plane to another country.  No airplane is forever and you will eventually sell it.
Clarence

True, but then it’s their problem. ;-)
I will ask about vinyl numbers, it’s worked well on my boat.

I asked about repainting numbers...it was going to be several AMUs.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Hmmmmm....... you must have used the same paint shop I did !! :(

Quoting myself :lol:......I must say, regardless of the waiting, all paint jobs (3) from the shop I used (ArtCraft, SMX) were absolutely gorgeous!  I hope the same for you Mr. MooneyTunes. :D