ADS-B Waiver

Bob - S50

For those who were wondering about flying in 'rule' airspace after 1/1/20...
ADAPT Form Info

And importantly...

“How many times can you use ADAPT? According to AOPA’s guidance on the matter, it’s not likely to be unlimited. The FAA created ADAPT as an interim measure to allow non-conforming aircraft a way to get to a location where they can be equipped and for those aircraft with installed but inoperative ADS-B Out systems to get repair service.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And importantly...

“How many times can you use ADAPT? According to AOPA’s guidance on the matter, it’s not likely to be unlimited. The FAA created ADAPT as an interim measure to allow non-conforming aircraft a way to get to a location where they can be equipped and for those aircraft with installed but inoperative ADS-B Out systems to get repair service.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of us who have been flying for a while, years ago, the FAA was pretty active when you had an issue with your Mode C transponder. I was dealing with a flaky BK unit and received a couple of letters from the FAA indicating they were aware I was having an issue and wanted verification in writing that it was addressed.

I suspect with the transparency that ADS-B out has, they can do an even better job of tracking the number of exemptions granted for a specific plane. What remains to see is the grace period they will allow to comply. In my neck of the woods, shops are booked into next year with many being ADS-B related. I think they are at least willing to allow exemptions until the shops can get caught up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

FYI, here is now that is handled in the part 121 world:

An airline cannot function (very well) without being able to fly with things that are inoperative (safely) under the provisions of an FAA-approved Minimum Equipment List.

I just got a bulletin adding ADS-B to the list of things that can be inoperative. If ADS-B is out, the flight dispatcher has to coordinate with ATC ahead of time and get the OK before each flight. The specifics of what they do are opaque to us pilots. But I cannot see a situation where that would be denied, grounding the airplane where ever it is (perhaps halfway across the country from the nearest maintenance base). You keep on going, hauling revenue, perhaps for several days until the plane and parts are in position to get the maintenance done.

Edited by Immelman
  • Like 1