Well not a great flight but a good end

Yesterday I decided to go flying after a long time... (to much work). I should have noticed that if one thing is wrong you should not fly... my gut said no, today is not the right day... although weather was perfect and wife had suggested that I should go flying!!!

I start the engine and fuel flow shows 0.... well just the fuel flow meter must have gotten disconnected. Not a big deal!

The GTN did not update correctly... well it is a wonderful VFR day not an issue. The AOA is not working... well not on the MEL. But I should have listened...

So I taxi out and lift off climb out and raise the gear... instead hearing the usual noise... I hear the gear motor for a moment and a load click! Nothing !!!! First reaction fly the plane... second navigate let’s get out of the pattern and last communicate.

Troubleshooting, let’s put back the breaker and see what happens... nothing... ok is the gear up or down? Gear up light is out... so (mistake: did not check the floor indicator). I guess it is up. I started thinking about insurance etc... but then let’s care about those issues later,now I just have to get back on the ground in one piece...

So, manual gear extension... got a green and back to land... thank you God (I promise to be a better person), not nicest landing in the world, but at least I was back.

Any ideas what the problem might have been???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

You must have been naughty this year.  Somebody give you a box of gremlins for Christmas?

Sounds electrical for sure.  Maybe a rodent got in and was nibbling on wires?  Oooo don't want to think about this one.

Was the alternator charging?  Low voltage maybe the culprit here.

• Like 1

If you got a green then you did not follow manual gear extension procedures.   Upon your review you will find that pulling a breaker is important step in the process.   Standard stuff with electric gear.  Is lube all 30 grease zerts in the gear,  replace the gear breaker, pull and lube the gear actuator.    

• Like 1

If you got a green then you did not follow manual gear extension procedures.   Upon your review you will find that pulling a breaker is important step in the process.   Standard stuff with electric gear.  Is lube all 30 grease zerts in the gear,  replace the gear breaker, pull and lube the gear actuator.    

Perhaps that’s true with some older models, but definitely not on modern Mooney’s. The relays and lights are on different CB’s than the actuator which is the only CB you want to pull. Plus you really want to see the light, when you have it, to ensure you have the right amount of compression on the gear springs - otherwise not hard to overdue it and start bending things.
What year/model of yours doesn’t have the lights on it’s own circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Perhaps that’s true with some older models, but definitely not on modern Mooney’s. The relays and lights are on different CB’s than the actuator which is the only CB you want to pull. Plus you really want to see the light, when you have it, to ensure you have the right amount of compression on the gear springs - otherwise not hard to overdue it and start bending things.
What year/model of yours doesn’t have the lights on it’s own circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a good point as there is a 2 amp gear warning breaker and a 15 amp Landing gear breaker.  My point was to pull the landing gear breaker.   I have always decided that if you have electrical problems with the gear and are switching to manual, then nothing electrical should be considered reliable after that.   That is why there is a line on the floor indicator.  and it is adjustable and should be adjusted to point out where the proper gear down and locked is shown.   

42 minutes ago, Yetti said:

You make a good point as there is a 2 amp gear warning breaker and a 15 amp Landing gear breaker.  My point was to pull the landing gear breaker.   I have always decided that if you have electrical problems with the gear and are switching to manual, then nothing electrical should be considered reliable after that.   That is why there is a line on the floor indicator.  and it is adjustable and should be adjusted to point out where the proper gear down and locked is shown.   

I agree with the floor indicator, but you should also have the normal green light with manual extension if possible (1968 F).  I just did my annual and did the manual extension.  Got through 20-30 cranks, floor indicator looks about right, no green.  IA under the plane says, give it a couple more, not quite there... three more cranks, green light comes on.  All is well.  Floor indicator is like measuring millimeters with a yardstick.  I’d trust it if it’s all I had, but the green should also work if there’s power in that circuit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

I just did my annual and did the manual extension.  Got through 20-30 cranks, floor indicator looks about right, no green.  IA under the plane says, give it a couple more, not quite there... three more cranks, green light comes on.  All is well.

Wow, my C is 52 turns of the handle from Up to Down . . .  Is yours really so few?

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Wow, my C is 52 turns of the handle from Up to Down . . .  Is yours really so few?

I do have the newer (slower) gears... but to be honest, I lost count.  It was a lot.  I doubt I would remember to count in flight.  Luckily both indicators worked!:)

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

I do have the newer (slower) gears... but to be honest, I lost count.  It was a lot.  I doubt I would remember to count in flight.  Luckily both indicators worked!:)

In flight is how I learned, during transition training, either the 1st or 2nd flight. Only had to crank it down once for real, when I had electrical failure on a VOR-A approach with CFII, just after breaking out. Being partially extended, I only managed 12 turns. At times like that, you really pay attention. But the floor indicator said they were down . . . .

• Like 1

Imagine you updated database and fix your fuel flow. The issue with gears would not go away just magically. You would still deal with the same issue in flight. We just have to be ready and fly our airplanes. Well, maybe we should not if you aim into an IMC, that’s too much to worry about 

• 2 weeks later...