430W Terrain failure

bdavis171

I recently attempted to update both my Nav and Terrain cards through Garmin.  When I flew last the following error message was shown.  "Terrain has failed.  Airport terrain database integrity error."  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!  

IMG_20191221_125319.jpg

19 minutes ago, bdavis171 said:

It is.  I know it appears as though it isn't. I left the handle out as I had tried to re-seat it multiple times.  

A couple of thoughts. First, make sure the download is the correct one. You shouldn't be able to download the TAWS version or you are attempting to load a non-TAWs version on a TAWS unit. Either way, just verify the database is correct. The second thought is that you did get a corrupted download. Try reloading the database onto the card. I can't remember if Garmin makes you call them to reactivate a download.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bdavis171 said:

I did attempt to reinstall the database, but the problem remained.  I assume the database is correct as I went through Garmin's website and the app when the cards were docked with my computer.  

I am wondering if you got a corrupt card. Do you have a second card or can get your hands on another one? I know I was getting an error on my GNC-255B. Wouldn't let me load the Com databases. Garmin figured out that somewhere along the way the serial number of my unit got changed. Hope it isn't one of those oddities.

• Like 1

The cards do fail, and commonly right after re-installing the card after updating. If the card is still good though, you'll be able to re-write the database to it on your PC. If its failed, you'll get errors trying to do so. If you need a new card, Jepp was the only source back when I was still using these years ago. Garmin support can help you get it sorted out pretty quickly.

Incidentally, over the decade I used these, I never once updated the Terrain database. Nor did I know anyone that did. Scorched earth just doesn't change enough. But then Garmin started offering bundles of databases when the GTN's came out, and that's when folks started updating terrain. But Navdata is really all you need till you go to the newer GTN's.

Edited by kortopates

11 hours ago, bdavis171 said:

I recently attempted to update both my Nav and Terrain cards through Garmin.  When I flew last the following error message was shown.  "Terrain has failed.  Airport terrain database integrity error."  Has anyone experienced this before?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!  

IMG_20191221_125319.jpg

I had this happen 2 days ago to my aviation database for my 530W. My computer somehow restarted during the database installation. When it came back up and I tried to reinstall, I got the debase integrity issue. Haven’t solved it yet but was told to call Garmin and they can issue a one time license to reinstall the same database on the card again. Of course they are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I must wait. I hope with a new database cycle on Jan 2, it won’t be an issue. 

21 hours ago, kortopates said:

The cards do fail, and commonly right after re-installing the card after updating. If the card is still good though, you'll be able to re-write the database to it on your PC. If its failed, you'll get errors trying to do so. If you need a new card, Jepp was the only source back when I was still using these years ago. Garmin support can help you get it sorted out pretty quickly.

Incidentally, over the decade I used these, I never once updated the Terrain database. Nor did I know anyone that did. Scorched earth just doesn't change enough. But then Garmin started offering bundles of databases when the GTN's came out, and that's when folks started updating terrain. But Navdata is really all you need till you go to the newer GTN's.

I believe the terrain database also includes obstacles as well.  With the occasional new tower popping up here and there, it’s wise to have something onboard that has updated information on obstacles that just happens to have an update on terrain included.

34 minutes ago, cbarry said:

I believe the terrain database also includes obstacles as well.  With the occasional new tower popping up here and there, it’s wise to have something onboard that has updated information on obstacles that just happens to have an update on terrain included.

Obstacles is a separate database.

2044264473_ScreenShot2019-12-25at11_05_26AM.thumb.png.cddd88b0c334846ace2f7a7f4777be6e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obstacles is a separate database.
2044264473_ScreenShot2019-12-25at11_05_26AM.thumb.png.cddd88b0c334846ace2f7a7f4777be6e.png

There is also another one called the base map. It hasn’t been changed in a few years although Garmin did provide an “enhanced base map” after the government issued base map for the Garmin Pilot app. I think they use the enhanced stuff in their dynamic maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

As someone who wrecked two cards (the Nav and Terrain:angry:), IF you can reprogram without errors using your PC then the cards are probably okay. After they were destroyed, the PC would NOT program them.

(The cards ain't cheap; even used!).

Good luck!

Update: For my airport integrity database error I was able to email Garmin support and they reset my database download so I could read-download the airport database again. Might want to try this for the terrain one as well. I had the same integrity issue come up but for airport database instead.