Screwed up my JPI 700 K factor

DonMuncy

I was (still am) having trouble getting my JPI 700 to download flight data. I talked to the JPI folks and they suggested "resetting" the instrument back to its original settings, and if that didn't fix it, it would need to go back to them for repair. Their directions for the reset were insufficient for my competency level, and in my blundering around, I managed to screw up the JPI K factor, without knowing where it started. Does anyone know what the starting K factor should be. I realize it needs to be fine tuned to be highly accurate, but I need a place to start. I'm pretty sure the cruise fuel flow setting of 60 gph is not quite right.

I was (still am) having trouble getting my JPI 700 to download flight data. I talked to the JPI folks and they suggested "resetting" the instrument back to its original settings, and if that didn't fix it, it would need to go back to them for repair. Their directions for the reset were insufficient for my competency level, and in my blundering around, I managed to screw up the JPI K factor, without knowing where it started. Does anyone know what the starting K factor should be. I realize it needs to be fine tuned to be highly accurate, but I need a place to start. I'm pretty sure the cruise fuel flow setting of 60 gph is not quite right.

Don - the k factor value should be written on the fuel transducer. It will look something like this (red box). Look for something that has fuel lines going in and out of it:

be87f09ef86998da8b049b622371b5e8.jpg

If there is no number on it, just put a value in like 29.00 and then do at least 3 flights burning at least 10 gallons. Use the formula in the manual to calculate the new k factor.

I have made a sport of perfecting my k factor. The line guys hate it when I saw I will need 19.2 gallons and they put 19.1 in. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you bought it and have the serial number for your monitor, you could also call JPI.  They were able to look mine up when I was trying to figure out if the avionics shop had configured it or not.

It is correct that it is also supposed to be on the transducer - if you can get to the tag in a readable orientation.

Edited by hypertech
  • Thanks 1

If you have a Red Cube FT-60, the same as maurauder posted, the K-factor is 68,000. When I had the FT-60 installed years ago I programmed the JPI-700 with that value and never touched it again. To this day the fuel used display is accurate to within a few ounces.

• Thanks 1