To upgrade or to spend...

chriscalandro

Mission, mission, mission.  

If the C fits the mission, then great.  If another model, get that.  If you wind up with a Mooney, get the corrosion inspection done to make sure she's a keeper.  Then make it yours.  That is the path that my co-pilot and I are on.  

In the case of our C, we've done panel redo, tank reseal, corrosion protection, ADS-B install, interior renovation.  New shock disks coming next month, then 201 windshield and new paint sometime in next 3 years.

We all spend more time fighting headwinds than loving tailwinds...   Do it in something you enjoy being in.

The new Garmin WAAS GPS have had the effect of making used 430Ws less expensive!

My 2¢ worth.   Happy Holidays to all!

I agree it is all about mission.  My first Mooney was an E model that had 2 Navcomms and a transponder for avionics.  It perfectly suited my VFR, 0.1 AMU Hamburger mission. Once I got my Instrument Rating and started flying 500+ NM trips for business I upgraded to a K model with an approach certified GPS, a 2 axis autopilot, Strikefinder etc and extended range tanks.   That suited my new mission.

I think many categorize the c to ____ upgrade to be major because they are also jumping into a more modern panel and newer interior/exterior bits. Three years ago I made sure my purchased C had the panel I wanted to fly. Now with a $4k E5, a $4k 175 gps, and a $5k trutrak basically available. I can’t really see that as a driving force any more. 

5 minutes ago, Ron McBride said:

Whatever plane you have, in today’s world, new avionics will be outdated in 10 years.

I put a 430W, Stec 30, etc in my F about 12 years ago, now they are getting old, not obsolete, but do they have another 10 years in them for IFR?

12 years ago, the stec 30 was already 10ish years old and the gns430 was about 7 years old. The gtn series came out in 2012 and are still the top gps boxes. I think outdated in 10 is pushing it. Id say it take more like 20 to 25 years to see really outdated stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ron McBride said:

Whatever plane you have, in today’s world, new avionics will be outdated in 10 years.

I put a 430W, Stec 30, etc in my F about 12 years ago, now they are getting old, not obsolete, but do they have another 10 years in them for IFR?

That's what I've got in my F and I don't see them becoming obsolete until GPS is changed to where the 430W can't interpret the satellite data!  Heck, I still shoot ILS approaches...seems that technology goes back to 1929, IIRC:D

12 years ago, the stec 30 was already 10ish years old and the gns430 was about 7 years old. The gtn series came out in 2012 and are still the top gps boxes. I think outdated in 10 is pushing it. Id say it take more like 20 to 25 years to see really outdated stuff.

I agree. I have an STEC 60-2 that I installed in 1998. The same autopilot today can be purchase. Even the “antiquated” 430 still performs the same basic functions my 650 can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 12/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, chriscalandro said:

So, I can spend the 20k on gps and have an ifr platform, or sell it, and for about the same money get into a J, or step up and get something faster. Both those options end up with an airplane I don’t know as well as this one, or what to expect from coming maintenance. 

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Caveat that with the ability of the devil you know to execute your mission. And today's "nice" or "nice enough" avionics are tomorrow's upgrade opportunity, regardless of the platform. So far I haven't said anything new for this thread, just concurrence with the above Mooneyspacers.

My ownership experience is different than the situation you find yourself in, but has some similarities. When I bought my airplane 3 years ago I had clearly defined my mission prior to commencing my search and quickly narrowed my choices to two airplanes.

The first airplane was a 1979 M20K owned by an acquaintance, was meticulously maintained and had a state-of-the-art panel from about 20 years ago and a mid-time engine. Original paint and interior in good condition. It needed nothing soon.

The second airplane was a 1989 M20M recently rejuvenated inside and out, both mechanically and cosmetically, had 600 hours SMOH, and was the personal airplane and pride and joy of the owner of the maintenance shop that several of my friends used religiously, endorsing his character as beyond reproach. And other than the addition of a GNS430 (non-WAAS), the panel was essentially stock from 1989 but had been overhauled and meticulously maintained.

The second airplane was $20K more than the first, and is the one I chose. I chose it in part because I had befriended the owner and knew he would make anything right that I discovered wasn't right. That proved true in the first months of ownership - and is somewhat equivalent to "the devil you know". The panel was/is my canvas for my forever airplane panel. And I have the benefits of the M vs K, which includes TKS in this case. For me it was an easy choice, even with the additional O&M costs of the M. After three years I'm very pleased with my choice. I will be putting a substantial amount of money into this airplane over the next two years to make it exactly the airplane I want, because it is exactly the airplane I need.

How this relates to your situation: If your current airplane meets your mission short of some avionics upgrades and is an airplane you have mechanical confidence in, hang on to it and make it the airplane you want it to be. If there are other factors driving you in a different direction, apply some rudder and go in that direction with a different airplane.

Christmas day thoughts from a fellow Mooniac wishing you the best.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 4