JPI FuelScan 450 erratic: ISSUE RESOLVED

PeytonM

I have seen a few of these installed, and what does work on NPT threads is Permatex Aviation sealer. It is non-hardening, and it does dissolve in fuel so it doesn’t find its way to some critical component and cause  problems.

Teflon tape is a big offender in this regard, it somehow finds its way into a fuel injector or into a main bearing passage, starving or for oil for oil, or the vacuum pump causing failure, either way it’s gotten a few people killed. If it doesn’t get you the first time, then shreds of it remain behind after reassembly the second time and that’s when it gets you, but either way the stuff is a time bomb. 

• Like 2

I did the following experiment today. At cruise with the JPI 450 jumping wildly, I gradually reduced speed. At around 120KIAS, the JPI started reading correctly! I brought the power back up and the JPI started jumping around like Jack Flash around 130KIAS. I also noticed when I slowed for approach to landing, it read correctly. 
I guess it’s a loose connection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeytonM said:

I did the following experiment today. At cruise with the JPI 450 jumping wildly, I gradually reduced speed. At around 120KIAS, the JPI started reading correctly! I brought the power back up and the JPI started jumping around like Jack Flash around 130KIAS. I also noticed when I slowed for approach to landing, it read correctly. 
I guess it’s a loose connection. 

From your description, it sounds more like it is fuel flow related which would implicate the transducer.

In my experiment above, after I slowed the airplane, the fuel flow decreased as you would expect and the readings stabilized in the 8-9 GPH. I then applied WOT; the fuel flow immediately increased to the expected flow, and the JPI reading was stable.  As the plane accelerated through 130KIAS, the JPI reading became erratic again. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RESOLVED: after replacing the transducer, shaking down the wiring, our last resort was that the instrument itself was the problem.

JPI provided a loaner FS450 instrument, and we installed that Wednesday. I flew Thursday and the readings were perfectly stable; problem solved!  JPI will repair my instrument for flat $100.  Thank you to Tim and JPI staff for their patience and support.

I especially want to thank David (sabremech) for the hours he put into this project. 

BTW, the software now reports %horsepower (??) on the FS450 during its read-out sequence.  My 19 yo FS450 did not offer that, and frankly, I’d like to turn it off.  Any ideas?

Also, JPI checked out my old transducer, and it’s fine (of course), so I also have an extra transducer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting Pirep, Peyton.

See If there is an updated manual to go with the new software that comes with the instrument...

JPI may have a few things that can be toggled on/off in a set-up menu... somewhere...

%hp is really good for LOP... while LOP... not so accurate for ROP...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

JPI found a bad connector on the instrument; it’s on it’s way back to me.

Fortunately, my own instrument does not have software with “%horsepower,” so I won’t need to worry about that. (I was seeing 81%H at 6000ft,  8°C, 24x24, 10.8 GPH on the Loaner FS450; I don’t think that’s possible.)

• Like 2

JPI found a bad connector on the instrument; it’s on it’s way back to me.

Fortunately, my own instrument does not have software with “%horsepower,” so I won’t need to worry about that. (I was seeing 81%H at 6000ft,  8°C, 24x24, 10.8 GPH on the Loaner FS450; I don’t think that’s possible.)

There’s a HP constant (conversion factor) that needs to be set.

• 1 year later...

Resolved, again. I spoke too soon, and the problem returned soon after my post in March, 2020: wildly variations of fuel flow, from 0 to over 100GPH! After several instrument display exchanges, and multiple emails and conversations with JPI TechSupport, I went into pandemic mode, and I gave up.

A few months ago, I reengaged Tech Support, and they advised that the last step was to replace the wiring harness, including the connector. Although David had wrung out the wiring, I was willing to try anything. Earlier this month, David replaced the old wiring harness with the new one provided by JPI. I am pleased to report that after a dozen flights totaling over 2500 nm, I can report that the JPI FuelScan is working perfectly! There must have been an issue with the original wiring or connection that could not be detected with a static evaluation.

My interactions with JPI during the course of more than a year were outstanding and I would hold them as the model for customer service. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I called and emailed them and they always treated me with respect and patiently offered troubleshooting ideas in a timely fashion, and much of that was during a pandemic! Finally, I want to thank David for his patience and professionalism in helping me resolve this issue. 

• Like 1