1977 M20J 201

Brother Issac

1977 M20J 201

Airframe 3200 TT.

Engine 200hp Lyconing 1200 SMO

** Always hangered. Well-maintained!

Fuel tanks 58 gal. usable [ rubber fuel bladders retro-kit]. No Leaks!

1200 Engine SMO

Exterior 8 Interior 7

Basic Radio and Avionics: HSI, Older King Radios, DME, Dual VOR, Auto pilot

IFR Certified

In today's somewhat depressed market: "what would it sell for today"?

Randall

Edited by randall stevens
missing a word

Welcome aboard Brother...

Lets consider your previous ownership experience...

And combine it with the economic realities of 2012 and compare that today...

And see where that nets out...

What year did you buy your plane?

If it was 2007... select A

If it was after March 2008... select B

Today’s market is very much like 2007, but without the impending doom of high interest rates, high unemployment, and economy crushing autocatalytic storm home repos...

A) 2007 and prior... really nice Js were selling in the 150amu bracket... 100 AMUs would net an ordinary J.

B ) After the Great Recession prices dropped tremendously.

Fortunately, today... we can report more stable prices, elevated back to where they were a decade+ ago... with no additional inflation added to the price as would be normal...

Let’s say you sold your J to you favorite brother back in 2012...  he took care of it as if it were a family heirloom...

Airplane prices generally bottomed in a minor recession echo in 2011...

Prices stayed low for a couple more years... as they didn’t trade hands at all...

Things have improved in the economy... Unemployment rates are at all time lows... economic expansion is low, but strong, accross the nation, as global economic expansion continues in a positive direction as well...

Also important... inflation is at a pretty tame percentage rate as well...

So if you bought your M20J in 2007, sold it to your favorite brother in 2012, he took care of it well, and sold it back to you at current market values...

He will be selling you your plane for what you paid for it back in 2007...

buying it back from your favorite brother is going to be expensive... unless you are his favorite brother... then everything will be OK...

The Good news... the Mooney Market is about where it was 13 years ago... and interest rates are at rock-bottom rates...

The Bad news... you sold your J when the market was pretty depressed for a myriad of economy related issues...

As far as pricing goes... we have an MSer that has written a pricing guide for all things M20 related... his name is Jimmy... he can be found at @jgarrison...

He offered to share his pricing guide a while ago...

Last I spoke with Jimmy was over the summer... things change incredibly slowly... but they do change...

Best regards,

-a-

I sold my 1977 M20J 201 approx. 8 yrs. ago. with 2200TT on airframe & 200 smoh on engine. What do you think I could I buy it back for [given it has approx. 3200TT airframe, 1200 smoh on engine, good two-blade prop, and all AD's up-to-speed]?

FYI, TT has almost no affect on price unless it is abnormally high due to being a rental/training plane. For most experienced owners, a plane that’s actively been used is more desirable than a hangar queen with low hours.

I think $85K is a good guess as well.

Tom

The price valuation tool in the Mooney flyer was based on another tool... that is no longer being updated the same way as it used to be..?

Not sure if that will come back online...

We have a contact for the MooneyFlyer people around here somewhere as well...

Best regards,

-a-

Any squawks that will be revealed in a prebuy?

We need some pictures

There are so many factors.

If it’s perfectly clean, squawk free, damage free, no dents or dings, corrosion free, everything functions, etc. you may fetch more than $85k. 

I would put out more information and let everyone give more knowledgeable feedback.  This is up to you.  You may not want to be at the mercy of MS. :)

Nobody has mentioned that 4-letter (plus a hyphen) word - ABS-B.

I did not see any mention of any GPS nor ADS-B Out capability. While that may not hurt the price too much, it may affect how quickly it can be sold after 1/1/2020. Avionics shops are still slammed with work, buyers will likely want to fly a plane they buy, and not having ADS-B Out my give an easy reason to pass on the plane.

Does @jgarrison or anyone else on MS in aircraft sales have any thoughts about not having ADS-B Out will affect selling a plane after the new year?

1 minute ago, Oldguy said:

I did not see any mention of any GPS nor ADS-B Out capability. While that may not hurt the price too much, it may affect how quickly it can be sold after 1/1/2020. Avionics shops are still slammed with work, buyers will likely want to fly a plane they buy, and not having ADS-B Out my give an easy reason to pass on the plane.

Does @jgarrison or anyone else on MS in aircraft sales have any thoughts about not having ADS-B Out will affect selling a plane after the new year?

Some of us don't need it . . . .  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I don’t see how you can use a Mooney as a cross country plane without ADSB in 2020, if it’s a Cub, yes, but a J?

Tom

You would just have to stay below 10,000' MSL and fly around Class C airspace and outside the Mode C veil of Class B airspace.  You can even file IFR without it.

Not worth it to me, but to each their own...

• Like 1

You would just have to stay below 10,000' MSL and fly around Class C airspace and outside the Mode C veil of Class B airspace.  You can even file IFR without it.

Not worth it to me, but to each their own...

You’ll have trouble flying IFR on the west coast and staying below 10000’. And you’re not flying to Mooney Summit next year without ADSB. It’s possible to do without it, but it may limit your options.

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

You’ll have trouble flying IFR on the west coast and staying below 10000’. And you’re not flying to Mooney Summit next year without ADSB. It’s possible to do without it, but it may limit your options.

Tom

Not necessarily.  As long as you are less than 2500' AGL you can fly above 10,000' without it.  And most of the routes I fly out west can be flown below 10,000' anyway.

5 hours ago, Oldguy said:

The dilemma will be whether to install what you want and within your idea of budget vs. what the market will prefer. The old days were easy (by old I mean the start of this millennia). You had to have a GNS-430 in the plane or you couldn't sell it. My advise when talking to the MAPA conventions back in 2002-2005 was that you might as well get one installed because you are going to pay for it when you sell it anyway, so why not get some utility out of it in the mean time. The complexity and depth of avionics has thrown everything out of whack and the latest is ADS-B. In theory, a plane should probably be discounted $2,500 - $3,000 for not having it. But the reality is that it will probably run between $5,000 and $10,000 because you are going to be at the mercy of a buyer's 'wish' list vs. a practical solution (ADS-B out only). Smart money will go ahead and get something installed.

• Like 2