Landing Light Switch

drstephensugiono

Bummer...

Stephen, Do you want the long detailed story...

or briefly...

Last known status...

The fifty cent pieces of plastic are not sold separately...

So to replace the plastic pieces, you get to purchase the whole switch...

The easiest way to purchase the right switch is through your local MSC...

The next easiest way is to use Lasar as your local MSC... Dan at Lasar is THE Mooney Parts guru...

A better price can probably be obtained by buying it through Aircraft Spruce, with additional work supplied by you...

Either way, be sure to supply as much info as possible to avoid mistakes in amp ratings and switch cover color.

Alternates...

There are a few people around here using 3D printed pieces that make a pretty good alternative.... unfortunately, that was for the full size switch cover, not the half sized one...

The switch covers are essentially injection molded ABS parts with an undercut to hold them in place... snap on/snap off... you might be able to get the old one off and the new one on without removing the whole switch from the panel...

PP thoughts only, not a parts sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Bummer...
Stephen, Do you want the long detailed story...

or briefly...
Last known status...
The fifty cent pieces of plastic are not sold separately...
So to replace the plastic pieces, you get to purchase the whole switch...
The easiest way to purchase the right switch is through your local MSC...
The next easiest way is to use Lasar as your local MSC... Dan at Lasar is THE Mooney Parts guru...
A better price can probably be obtained by buying it through Aircraft Spruce, with additional work supplied by you...
Either way, be sure to supply as much info as possible to avoid mistakes in amp ratings and switch cover color.

Alternates...
There are a few people around here using 3D printed pieces that make a pretty good alternative.... unfortunately, that was for the full size switch cover, not the half sized one...
The switch covers are essentially injection molded ABS parts with an undercut to hold them in place... snap on/snap off... you might be able to get the old one off and the new one on without removing the whole switch from the panel...
PP thoughts only, not a parts sales guy...
Best regards,
-a-

Thank you so much for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Theres another post on here where the guy upgraded some switches and they look great. If they are 24v compatable, i might try to install them. If not im going to keep them. Anyhow ill have an answer in the next 2 or 3 weeks, since my panel goes for upgrade on the 6th.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Theres another post on here where the guy upgraded some switches and they look great. If they are 24v compatable, i might try to install them. If not im going to keep them. Anyhow ill have an answer in the next 2 or 3 weeks, since my panel goes for upgrade on the 6th.

I thought your switches were up above?  Not sure you’ll be able to fit the other type of switch in that location. 

Hmmmmm...

Fancy new switches... Leads to...

New CB layout to match... Leads to...

Re-organized main and secondary bus bars... Leads to...

Dual alternators... Leads to...

Vacuum-less instrument, modern instrument panel....! Leads to...

a multi-color screen extravaganza... with built in electronic safety levels...

MS is both informative and can help you spend your child’s inheritance....

All I really wanted was a fifty cent switch cover... MS convinced me to get a couple GTNs, a new AP, and a great PFD...

:)

-a-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you still have the piece I would carefully JB Weld it back in place. If you have LED Landing lights installed, since they draw so little,  I would just leaving the switch “on” until you find a replacement.

343c1a7ff477a6bf825ad9859397c682.jpg

JB Welding it with the new jb weld plastic but the stupid thing doesn’t set hard!!! . Must be old when I bought from auto zone!!! I removed the pin holding the 2 split toggle and going to use it again or just use/cut a pin from a same diameter rivet to replace it.

The poor design of the toggle is thin plastic!!! Being a dentist I could’ve designed better!

343c1a7ff477a6bf825ad9859397c682.jpgJB Welding it with the new jb weld plastic but the stupid thing doesn’t set hard!!! . Must be old when I bought from auto zone!!! I removed the pin holding the 2 split toggle and going to use it again or just use/cut a pin from a same diameter rivet to replace it.
The poor design of the toggle is thin plastic!!! Being a dentist I could’ve designed better!

Original JB Weld, not the quick set, is still the best.

Original JB Weld, not the quick set, is still the best.

There is a J-B Weld product specifically for plastics. If it isn’t working, the temperatures may be wrong for it. Ask me how I know...

https://www.jbweld.com/product/plasticweld-epoxy-putty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

47 minutes ago, drstephensugiono said:

343c1a7ff477a6bf825ad9859397c682.jpg

JB Welding it with the new jb weld plastic but the stupid thing doesn’t set hard!!! emoji35.png. Must be old when I bought from auto zone!!! I removed the pin holding the 2 split toggle and going to use it again or just use/cut a pin from a same diameter rivet to replace it.

The poor design of the toggle is thin plastic!!! Being a dentist I could’ve designed better! emoji51.pngemoji15.png

Being that you’re a dentist, why wasn't composition resin one of your first thoughts?

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

There is a J-B Weld product specifically for plastics. If it isn’t working, the temperatures may be wrong for it. Ask me how I know...

https://www.jbweld.com/product/plasticweld-epoxy-putty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Either that or not enough hardener made it into the mix.

• Like 1