G3X/Stec 55 Compatability?

John Mininger

I’m considering a panel upgrade in 2021. Hopefully after the avionic shops work through their backlog of ADS-B installs and the lead times are somewhat less than 6-9 months.

I’m considering either two G5s, or a G5 AI and a 7” G3X. I already have a G5 in AI configuration. I’m leaning towards the G3X/G5 combo, but I’m getting some conflicting information as to whether the G3X is compatible with the S-TEC 55 autopilot (Not a 55X, but with the separate ST-901 GPSS button). I know the G5 HSI, along with the GAD 29B is compatible with the S-TEC.

Does anyone out there know if the G3X, with or without the GAD29B is compatible with the S-TEC 55 autopilot?

Thanks

32 minutes ago, Nippernaper said:

Well, I know it's compatible with an STec 30. Can't imagine it wouldn't work with the 55 as well. Won't be fully integrated like a GFC 500 would be, though. Do note that with a non-garmin autopilot, you can only have one nav source feeding the G3XT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the G5. Not g3x. Youd still be able to have multiple sources. The G3X would also work but you would need to keep the turn coordinator. What some people have done is put the turn coordinator behind the panel, for a cleaner look since youd need to have a g5 backup anyway. The turn coordinator is to stec what the KI256 is to bendix king autopilots. Thats how it knows its up or down.

Edited by Niko182

20 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Thats the G5. Not g3x. Youd still be able to have multiple sources. The G3X would also work but you would need to keep the turn coordinator. What some people have done is put the turn coordinator behind the panel, for a cleaner look since youd need to have a g5 backup anyway. The turn coordinator is to stec what the KI256 is to bendix king autopilots. Thats how it knows its up or down.

I read that on a Cirrus forum, and my avionics guy said he could do that in my Mooney, too.  Mine is for an stec50. 

Many turn coordinators/gyros that are used for APs end up elsewhere in the plane... when not being used as a visual indicator...

Behind the panel is pretty good for not needing to extend wires and other connections... use extra caution how it gets physically held in place... and oriented...

My 65C’s had its wing leveler gyro in the tail... never could see it operating while flying the plane... but you could hear it slow down as the step extended, while exiting the aircraft...

Nice to know it’s working somehow if you are going to rely on it to do its job in IMC....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... 

Best regards,

-a-

G3xt as well. Check out the thread over in the avionics section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, rcwagner said:

I am having a STEC 55X installed with two G5s and a GAD29 in my Mooney right now.  I pick it up later this week.

I'm curious. If you're having a 2 axis autopilot installed (maybe plus auto trim servo), why not the GFC 500?

• 6 months later...

I installed two G5 on my Turbo Arrow IV Stec55x and ST360 altitude preselect but the preselected altitude and the rate of climb are note acquired by th G5's.

The Stech 55x is indicated as a compatible autopilot on the G3X installation manual but, nothing is said if the compatibility is referred to the all functions.

If You have info's please let me know

I installed two G5 on my Turbo Arrow IV Stec55x and ST360 altitude preselect but the preselected altitude and the rate of climb are note acquired by th G5's.
The Stech 55x is indicated as a compatible autopilot on the G3X installation manual but, nothing is said if the compatibility is referred to the all functions.

I’m far from an expert, but based on reading through the g3x touch manual when having it installed with an stec30, the only interface is the one-way navigation and heading signals from the g3x to the autopilot. If you want a fully integrated system, that only works with the Garmin autopilots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 6/25/2020 at 10:55 AM, Piergiorgio said:

The question I have is if the FD and altitude preselect works on the G3x, like on the Aspen in combination with the stec55x