Icy landing

larrynimmo

I landed a Cirrus SR22 recently during a snowstorm at night on a snow covered runway during during a part 91 commercial op (mid December).  I was ready to add power and take off in case winds blew me off center line or caused me to weather vane as braking action was compromised and it's a free-castering nose gear with differential braking only after the rudder is no longer effective!

Everything worked out fine, but boy that walk from the airplane to the FBO was treacherous!  

The runway was covered in fresh snow and the tower asked me after touchdown to report braking action.  The PIREPs from this type of reporting are inconsistent in accuracy, but still worth noting and listining for. 

Winds were blowing a quartering tail wind 10 minutes prior to landing, however the front had passed by the time I was on the approach and winds were calm on final and touchdown.  They had picked back up a bit during takeoff about a half hour later.

-Seth