Failing Attitude Indicator

hnorber

2 hours ago, hnorber said:

Jerry:  I'm assuming that I need a back-up battery with this?  I'll talk to my avionics shop today to confirm that it's compatible.

You don’t need a battery backup if you have another vac driven AI installed in the panel. The only dual bus systems were installed in the 2003 DX models and up.  Otherwise a electrical short in the system will remove the AI, HSI, and turn coordinator at the same time.  

On 12/19/2019 at 1:37 PM, elimansour said:

I am facing the same situation.  My KI256 (part of a KFC150 installation) is starting to go and is now taking 10+ minutes to erect. I have swapped with a loaner KI256 for the time being while I explore options.  After looking at the options (including OH the KI 256 for ~3AMU), I am thinking of getting an Aspen PFD Pro Max /EA 100 for now and upgrading the KFC150 to the Aerocruze KFC230 down the road.  The Aspen seems like a reasonable way to upgrade to glass without breaking the bank and also without drastically and expensively changing autopilots and from what I have read, seems to interface with the KFC150 (using the EA 100) nicely).  I could be wrong but I think that the G5 apparently will not be able to drive the FD /AI for the KFC 150 and would require the retention of the KI256 (necessitating an OH) - this would make the G5 a good option if looking to upgrade to the GFC500 autopilot.  

Is the aerocruze actually available from dealers yet?

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

Is the aerocruze actually available from dealers yet?

1 hour ago, elimansour said:

I have not started looking yet but have heard they may be  - I’m hoping the KFC150 will keep working until they become more available.

@PearceBK has said they are currently available, but like a few others, I am waiting until they are approved with the Aspen(s) I have in the panel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PearceBK said:

@Bravoman The AeroCruze 230 is available right now, and compatibility with the G500 TXi was just added to the STC prior to the new year. I can put you in touch with the sales manager for the Atlanta area as well, if you want. 

Happy New Year, 

Steve  

@PearceBK Steve, 

Who covers the Denver area? I'd love to make contact and stay in touch. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 230 as soon as it learns to speak Aspen.

He might like a ride in a pretty nice 252 :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 11:53 AM, gsxrpilot said:

@PearceBK Steve, 

Who covers the Denver area? I'd love to make contact and stay in touch. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 230 as soon as it learns to speak Aspen.

He might like a ride in a pretty nice 252 :D

Just you a PM with the info. 

I'm sure he wouldn't turn down a ride :D

Cheers, 

Steve

All I can say is that if I had it to do over again, I would have sent out my original attitude indicator and had it rebuilt and continue to use it for autopilot stability...even if you add a g5 or an aspen product...it just a costs way to much to interface with legacy analog autopilots.  Within a year or two you will have lots of choices of new full function autopilots that more easily can be controlled by digital glass...just my 2 cents

larry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@PearceBK , I have a M20J with a KAP 150 + KG 258 connected to an Aspen EFD 1000 + ACU

What I'd like to do is replace the KAP 150 computer with the AeroCruz 230, and replace the KG 258 with the Aspen PFD + EA100

Are there any technical issues with this, and when might such a configuration be available?

Some of the legacy components (Manual Electric Trim and A/P disconnect switches, for instance) are difficult to source and/or very expensive. Is BK doing anything about that for upgrade installations?

Thanks,

Skip

On 1/24/2020 at 3:02 PM, PT20J said:

@PearceBK , I have a M20J with a KAP 150 + KG 258 connected to an Aspen EFD 1000 + ACU

What I'd like to do is replace the KAP 150 computer with the AeroCruz 230, and replace the KG 258 with the Aspen PFD + EA100

Are there any technical issues with this, and when might such a configuration be available?

Some of the legacy components (Manual Electric Trim and A/P disconnect switches, for instance) are difficult to source and/or very expensive. Is BK doing anything about that for upgrade installations?

Thanks,

Skip

The Aspen + the EA100 will talk to your KAP 150 now just fine - I have Aspens + the EA100 + an ACU2 talking to my KFC150, which is a KAP 150 with a Flight Director. I don't believe the AeroCruze 230 will talk to the Aspens directly as of yet even with an ACU 1 or 2.

Keep letting King know you want the AeroCruze to be compatible with the Aspen, a lot of us want this.

• Like 2

This was posted on Beechtalk yesterday @PT20J

Hi Folks, 

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am leaving BK. 

I appreciate all the honest feedback that has been provided on BT, it's been a ride. 

Andrew Barker will be taking my place, so BK will still have a presence on BT.  

Cheers, 

Steve (Pearce)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Aspen + the EA100 will talk to your KAP 150 now just fine - I have Aspens + the EA100 + an ACU2 talking to my KFC150, which is a KAP 150 with a Flight Director. I don't believe the AeroCruze 230 will talk to the Aspens directly as of yet even with an ACU 1 or 2.

Keep letting King know you want the AeroCruze to be compatible with the Aspen, a lot of us want this.

Thanks. I understand about Aspen compatibility with the BK autopilots. My issue is that I would really like the flight director which I don't have now and it doesn't seem to me to be a good idea to put more money into the legacy BK autopilot. It's working fine now (though it's a little sloppy on localizer capture) but I'd like to replace it if it acts up with something better. The GFC 500 is an option, but the amount of stuff I'd have to rip and replace makes it a poor investment for a 25 year old airframe. I'm not in a big hurry. In tech we have a saying about early adopters: The pioneers get the arrows! Best to let BK get the bugs out and the installation shops get some experience with a new product.

I will keep on them, but as evidenced by @amillet's post, the players keep changing :) Part of the reason for my post was to judge how responsive BK would be.

Skip

Edited by PT20J

• 4 weeks later...

I had a similar issue, so I had the A/I overhauled, only to learn about Garmin's new GI-275 a few weeks later.  Hindsight, I'd have gone GI-275 all the way!!!  It interfaces with my KFC-150 plus I could eliminated my entire vacuum system.  When my freshly O/H'd A/I burps, it's outta there!

22 minutes ago, Jsavage3 said:

I had a similar issue, so I had the A/I overhauled, only to learn about Garmin's new GI-275 a few weeks later.  Hindsight, I'd have gone GI-275 all the way!!!  It interfaces with my KFC-150 plus I could eliminated my entire vacuum system.  When my freshly O/H'd A/I burps, it's outta there!

I say sell your freshly overhauled King KI-256 A/I with paperwork while it's worth more than it will ever be and go for the GI-275 now.

• Like 4