Someone is using my N Number!

M20F-1968

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

I learned to fly in N-registered aircraft in Germany, where everything else is D-(four letters).   Even "foreign" aircraft from elsewhere in Europe are all letters.   So it was normal there, too.

One side effect of that is when I use my entire call sign for initial contact I almost always say the leading "November" as well, since that still seems normal to me.   Give me another ten years and I'll probably get rid of that.  ;)

I have an experimental with a 3 digit call sign.  I now always start my initial contact with ATC with "November" and my 3 digits.  I've been chided to many times for not giving my full call sign.  :)   It's also common to find my "N-number" show up in Flight aware for flights I have never made (and in parts of the country I have not visited).  I've always assumed ATC simply picked up flight following and used the last 3 digits for convenience.

That said, I have always wondered when the FAA would send me a notice for some violation due to a tail number mistake.  To date, I have not had that happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisk said:

I have an experimental with a 3 digit call sign.  I now always start my initial contact with ATC with "November" and my 3 digits.  I've been chided to many times for not giving my full call sign.  :)   It's also common to find my "N-number" show up in Flight aware for flights I have never made (and in parts of the country I have not visited).  I've always assumed ATC simply picked up flight following and used the last 3 digits for convenience.

That said, I have always wondered when the FAA would send me a notice for some violation due to a tail number mistake.  To date, I have not had that happen

There are currently reports of pilots being charged landing fees that have overflown airports. Evidently linking back to a 3rd party vendor using ADS-B to gather the information.

Flight Aware is the most inconsistent utility I've seen.  At least for me......  I've taken several flights with "Flight Following" that was never captured by Flight Aware.  I am assuming with ADSB the data tags should be automatic, or the controller should have the N number in front of them to type it into the system.  This system has a LONG way to go!  I've also had several flights in which a Ghost aircraft was damm near on top of me.  I have the GDL88 coupled to the 530.  When I called Garmin I was told it was data packets from a previous aircraft on the same route that was never deleted from the system.   Make sense.....  Just not a complete accurate solution....

Rick

Flight Aware is the most inconsistent utility I've seen.  At least for me......  I've taken several flights with "Flight Following" that was never captured by Flight Aware. 

IFR always captured.
FF I think depends on how controller enters it into the system.
You need to turn on “position flights option” to get pure ADSB flights (no FF).

Tom

49 minutes ago, Releew said:

Tom,

Is that an option in the Flight Aware  utility, Firmware of the GDL 88, or in the Garmin 530W?

I've never heard of this before....Thanks

Rick

Position only flights check box... is the flight Aware method to allow you to see your own flights...

I can’t remember what it means or what it does...

But I’m not the only one... as we discuss this topic annually...

Click the box once... and it seem to make the site work like you would expect... :)

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/20/2019 at 9:37 AM, gsxrpilot said:

So someone's out using my N number today... and it's still attached to my airplane. @Denver98 and I have worked out an arrangement and he's out flying the Mooney today. :D

Yep!  Took my Dad flying for the first time in 25 years.  It’s been a tough year for him but he really enjoyed himself.  He’s the reason the aviation bug bit me at 5 years old.  It’s something he’s very proud to tell anyone he can.  :) 

C0C0010A-484D-42CD-A7F5-BB1315353186.jpeg

1FD17E75-3440-4D4E-A0A9-A6F1A04C8112.jpeg

• Like 2

hey Denver!

Consider doing a cut and paste of your post....

in the today’s flight thread...

Add a pic of Dad if you got one...   :)

I am here because my dad left a book out on a table.... titled... Anyone Can fly... by Jules Bergman...

Wish he left me a book about designing aircraft... :)

I have long since lost most of my memory skills.... but that one got stored in a different place...

https://smile.amazon.com/Anyone-Can-Fly-Jules-Bergman/dp/038502830X/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_8217842112?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

Best regards,

-a-

If looking for the today’s flight thread.... go here... 

Best regards,

-a-

From FlightAware's FAQ page:

What is a position-only flight? 

A position-only flight is a flight for which FlightAware has not received a filed flight plan, for example a VFR flight. In those cases, if we receive position reports via ADS-B or another source, the flight can be trackable as a position-only flight.

Note that position-only flights are by nature less accurate, since FlightAware has not received a filed origin, destination, or route, and the aircraft may enter and leave areas of coverage throughout the flight.

Interesting...

Many of our flights don’t have originations and completions at a controlled field... so they appear to start and stop in the middle of an actual flight based on altitude of radar coverage...

ADSB-out seems to help with my flights being tracked lately...

Is there a way to tell if flightaware is using our ADSB-out?

Or is something else allowing the flights to be picked up more lately?

I probably need to run a PAPR report.... to make sure...

Best regards,

-a-

On 12/21/2019 at 10:36 PM, Denver98 said:

Yep!  Took my Dad flying for the first time in 25 years.  It’s been a tough year for him but he really enjoyed himself.  He’s the reason the aviation bug bit me at 5 years old.  It’s something he’s very proud to tell anyone he can.  :) 

C0C0010A-484D-42CD-A7F5-BB1315353186.jpeg

1FD17E75-3440-4D4E-A0A9-A6F1A04C8112.jpeg

The wingtip on that plane looks unique and suspiciously familiar.....

• Like 1