'79 J panel re-do (Garmin)

kris_adams

Huh? I had my Aspens flush mounted after being panel mounted for a couple of years. It is the same form factor. Just recessed.

A 1” peg won’t fit into a 1” hole,the hole must be slightly bigger, say 1.01” plus the backing bracket behind it. Garmin mentions this with G5 installation, that some modification to the backing bracket maybe necessary, like grinding edges of the bracket down. But that has limits of course. Look at your panel, the screw at the top left and right is probably securing the backing bracket, you could not have a avionics butting up against it. It’s not much, but if space is tight?

Tom

12 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The problem with flush mounting, is it requires a little more room, so if tight on space....

Tom

Yep.  I have a reasonably laid out 6 pack which is currently being converted to 2xG5s.  The avionics shop did all the measurements and said the flush mount brackets would not fit between the existing instruments on either side.  My panel is one piece all the way across.  No way I’m redoing the entire thing just to flush mount!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Yep.  I have a reasonably laid out 6 pack which is currently being converted to 2xG5s.  The avionics shop did all the measurements and said the flush mount brackets would not fit between the existing instruments on either side.  My panel is one piece all the way across.  No way I’m redoing the entire thing just to flush mount!

You could probably create a one piece flushmounting system that mounts from the top of the AI and the bottom of the HSI. That wouldnt take anymore place on the X axis of your panel considering it would be the same size as the G5, width wise.

A 1” peg won’t fit into a 1” hole,the hole must be slightly bigger, say 1.01” plus the backing bracket behind it. Garmin mentions this with G5 installation, that some modification to the backing bracket maybe necessary, like grinding edges of the bracket down. But that has limits of course. Look at your panel, the screw at the top left and right is probably securing the backing bracket, you could not have a avionics butting up against it. It’s not much, but if space is tight?

Tom

What you are describing sounds unique to the G5. Looking at the picture below, the overhang of the un-recessed Aspen fits into the recessed opening. The hole may be bigger but the recessed hole is no larger than the overhang from the un-recessed unit.

982bf27cc45dc3d50deaee12cce9ce58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My avionics shop briefly tried to talk me out of flush mounting my instruments as well. Especially since I installed one of the first G5's and there wasn't even a flush mount kit available.

And while the G5 flush mount has mounting screws on all sides, there really isn't any reason to use all of them. We used a JPI flush mount kit and mounted it using three sides. It worked fine and saved on some of the space required. 

IMG_3803.thumb.jpeg.33b304676cbed29c5bd3a8e0e226b564.jpeg

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.885322edba025479798751ab5119769c.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

My avionics shop briefly tried to talk me out of flush mounting my instruments as well. Especially since I installed one of the first G5's and there wasn't even a flush mount kit available.

And while the G5 flush mount has mounting screws on all sides, there really isn't any reason to use all of them. We used a JPI flush mount kit and mounted it using three sides. It worked fine and saved on some of the space required. 

IMG_3803.thumb.jpeg.33b304676cbed29c5bd3a8e0e226b564.jpeg

IMG_2512.thumb.jpeg.885322edba025479798751ab5119769c.jpeg

your panel is going to look really nice once you get that second aspen unit installed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Answering a few questions/comments from earlier in the thread.

-We are definitely flush mounting the G5

-I'm pretty sure we're going to move the whiskey compass from the vertical brace above the panel to the right side which is angled towards the pilot

-We are "flattening" the left side of the panel to give more room for the g3x.  I didn't get a pic of it but it looks like you could do it to both sides of the panel if you want.  The Guardian ipad mount fits without changing the right side of the panel so we are good to go as is.

IMG_2107.thumb.jpg.cbf04e4209f1c55e3009a3412e31e5d2.jpg

Working with a test-fit panel.  Unfortunately we can't get the 750/430 and GFC500 in the center stack.  Putting it to the left of the stack (and right of the G3x requires the G3x to be slightly left of center.  I thought it would bug me but it seemed fine sitting in the plane.  I tend to sit slightly left of center for some reason anyway so it's pretty much centered on where I sit.  This pic also has sneak preview of my backlit switches.  4 of these are on B/O but they look amazing in another plane they recently finished.

@Kris_Adams Thought I’d add a few suggestions, hope you don’t mind. I’d seriously think about moving the display up slightly and to the right. The AP control could then fit down below the g3x. This would alleviate the tightness on the upper left corner that might interfere with the tube structure behind the panel. @PJClark ‘s panel comes to mind...2B30C5AB-A522-4C34-B5B6-9F79638F798A.thumb.jpeg.9c317aa8555ff00c61ca63932b9cf4fe.jpegDE6FB97A-3E3C-4BA0-B2E3-5237443F67AB.thumb.jpeg.d45a10f5aa4ad1e724865ba44798c6f7.jpeg

Edited by MIm20c

32 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

@Kris_Adams Thought I’d add a few suggestions, hope you don’t mind. I’d seriously think about moving the display up slightly and to the right. The AP control could then fit down below the g3x. This would alleviate the tightness on the upper left corner that might interfere with the tube structure behind the panel. @PJClark ‘s panel comes to mind...

This was an existing template that was already cut.  We're using it as a starting point.  I should have mentioned we've already decided to move the gear handles.  I wouldn't mind moving the g3x over and up a bit, but I like having the autopilot close at hand.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the overall solution so I don't know how often I'll be pressing buttons on it (autopilot).  My current AP is a century IIB with an STEC 30 altitude hold.  I primarily use it in cruise. 

Edited by Kris_Adams

@Kris_Adams 

FWIW, that's my panel @MIm20c posted above.  the GMC507 controller where you see it is about perfect for me--easy reach for my right hand, easy to see everything.

I put two switches to the right of the controller for easy reach:  Prime and Low Boost. The rest are pretty much in their original M20K locations, minus the pitch trim switch (eliminated by GFC500) and one other I can't recall was also redundant after my install.

I use the heading knob on the GMC507 to move the heading bug on the G3X--completely natural, no craning of the neck, easy to see everything. I select AP modes generally on the controller by touching the buttons, although you can also do it on the G3X by touching the autopilot bar above the PFD...that opens a window and all the buttons on the GMC are there on the right half of the g3X screen--touch and  you're done.  I tend to use the up/down button after selecting VS to set the Vertical Speed bug for descent. Not deliberate, I'm just doing what seems to have come naturally--I have about 20 hours behind the panel as of end of flying today.

Good luck with your layout...mine works great for me, has created natural habit patterns!  feel free to PM if you have questions about the whole setup:  it's awesome, you're gonna love it.

PJ

• Like 1

So I was impatient and called the shop, and they told me they were the aveo switches from Aircraft Spruce. After looking on the website, it was said that they are not approved for certified use. how does that work? field approval, or a minor change?

On 12/18/2019 at 10:25 PM, Ragsf15e said:

@Ragsf15e If you get the modified Slim profile Flush mount that @Aerodon makes (or cut one yourself), your G5’s should be able to be flush mounted in all but the tightest horizontal configuration.  The garmin recommended flush mount and the one available at some of the resellers / Stein has a border that will interfere with the adjacent instruments.  I had a similar CAD file to Don’s but I couldn’t find a water jet who would do a one off cheaper than the one he sells. 

one thing I had to deal with when installing dual G5’s in the OEM 77 J panel was minor panel surgery to remove vertical interference for non flush mounted installation.  That should not apply in your setup.  We certainly do have tight panels. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 2:44 PM, ArtVandelay said:

I would check the condition of your defroster hoses, now would be a good time to change them .

Definitely. I just changed mine - they were spraying rust all over everywhere when I turned the vents on.  40+ year galvanized wire exposed to outside vent air.  

So I was impatient and called the shop, and they told me they were the aveo switches from Aircraft Spruce. After looking on the website, it was said that they are not approved for certified use. how does that work? field approval, or a minor change?

Are they just switches or circuit breaker switches?

Tom