'79 J panel re-do (Garmin)

kris_adams

Hi Everyone,

We are deep into the panel (g3x, g5, gfc500, 750, 345r, gma35C, and a few other things). I figured it was time to start a dedicated thread.  All work is being done by Precision Avionics in Griffin, GA-who is becoming quite experienced at large-scale panel upgrades on our birds-they have 3 in the shop right now. I figure it's time to show some pics and organize this into 1 thread.  -KA 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

What’s you left panel layout going to be? I’ve played around with 10” g3x, g5, gmc 507, and jpi 900...it’s a tight fit, not sure if doable.

Tom

Still working out the exact layout.  I'm going with Garmin EIS so I'll be getting rid of my EI CGRs to save space and reduce "boxes".  On the left side, I'll have the g5, g3x,gfc500 new panel rocker switches, landing light pulser (selector), and I'm also getting a new panel dimmer control and I think that will be on the left side.  Seriously considering the panel mount compass as well now.

Center stack:  looks like all I can fit is the annunciator panel 750, and my current 430W.

Edited by Kris_Adams

The picture that really scares the crap out of me...panel3.thumb.jpg.06f06f1703e1f0e51200a3c585867b3d.jpg

Now would also be a good time to replace the engine control cables, since they are usually entangled with the wires that end up as a support for the cable ties.

If your cables are original, that makes them 40 years old.

Edit: also a good time to lose the ram air.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

Scotty did my Aspen 2000 MAX install.  I saw a mooney getting the 750, g3x, autopilot install.  Man, it looks sweet.  I'm sure your plane will, too.  BTW, what did you think of the EI engine monitors?

I'm not trying to start a JPI vs EI feud here but based on my personal EI experience, I would go with JPI if I were doing it again.  I really liked the CGR form factor, but I had quite a few issues including the units, EI probes (probably went through 10) and even had to send both units back to EI for some sort of upgrade only they could do (down for 5 weeks).  Even after that I still had a few nagging issues.  I really tried to give EI a chance to remedy the issue but given the wonderful things I heard about their support, I'm still underwhelmed.  I have a few other data points that are consistent with mine though I'm sure there will be people to stand up and say they (CGRs in particular) are great.  Tough choice certainly but I'd do something else if I could go back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Now would also be a good time to replace the engine control cables, since they are usually entangled with the wires that end up as a support for the cable ties.

If your cables are original, that makes them 40 years old.

Edit: also a good time to lose the ram air.

Tom

Think we did the mixture cable 2 years ago.  I'll check on the others.  Thanks!

What is there to gain with losing the ram air?  I know it only gives me 0.3 or 0.4" but I'm wondering if there is a bunch of weight to be saved or something else I'm overlooking.  Planning to have the plane painted in the spring so now is the time if I'm going to do it.

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

For those with Js (and maybe Ks), the far left side is angled towards the pilot, does anyone know if you can flatten it and give yourself more working room?

Tom

Oddly enough, with today's instruments, I'd prefer to have both sides lay flat to give more room.  I looked at it (non mechanic eyes) and it didn't look like something you can do without swapping panel brackets and pieces out.  I'll be back at the airport tomorrow and will look snap a pick if possible

Think we did the mixture cable 2 years ago.  I'll check on the others.  Thanks!
What is there to gain with losing the ram air?  I know it only gives me 0.3 or 0.4" but I'm wondering if there is a bunch of weight to be saved or something else I'm overlooking.  Planning to have the plane painted in the spring so now is the time if I'm going to do it.

I never saw 0.4”, was more like 0.1 or 0.2, could not tell from the old analog MP gauge.
The negative is it’s going to require maintenance at some point, when mine did I just removed it. Whatever boost in engine power is mitigated by the unaerodynamic hole in the middle of the cowling. One less thing to break. It may weigh a pound, my AP didn’t bother redoing the W&B.

Tom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rbridges said:

Scotty did my Aspen 2000 MAX install.  I saw a mooney getting the 750, g3x, autopilot install.  Man, it looks sweet.  I'm sure your plane will, too.  BTW, what did you think of the EI engine monitors?

Scotty is great!  Such a great craftsman and person.  Just love him and Wendy!!!  And we're from the West Coast!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Kris, most of the G5 installs I've seen are not flush mounted. Ugly, IMNSHO.

Garmin offers a bracket to do a flush mount. Well worth the few bucks extra... particularly in the great panel you're planning. 

I totally agree about flush mounting.  I plan to do that with my aspens when I get my panel rearranged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Kris, most of the G5 installs I've seen are not flush mounted. Ugly, IMNSHO.

Garmin offers a bracket to do a flush mount. Well worth the few bucks extra... particularly in the great panel you're planning. 

I'll verify that's the plan.  Thanks for the reminder Bob!

• Like 1