Strange ILS issue with Garmin G5

Hey everyone.  Noticed today that when trying to fly an ILS, there is no LOC or GS depicted on my G5 HSI in vloc mode.   It auto slews to the inbound course and changes to a green needle when the approach is activated in the 530W, however there is no CDI or GS indications.

The ODD part is that the autopilot and Flight director will fly the approach if APR is armed on the KFC150.

I am not well versed in how the 530w, the g5 and the FD/AP communicate... and unfortunately I do not know if this was ever working properly, I was told that it did, however I am not sure I can trust that the previous owner was correct.   Ive been flying RNAV WAAS approaches, but noticed this when fiddling with an ILS today.

Does anyone know what is going on?

3 hours ago, Emmet said:

Sounds like the GNS ILS output is not configured correctly

That is exactly what it is.  It needs to be set to a certain setting and maybe needs a software update as well.  They recently, a year ago or so, did an update to the 430W/530W to alleviate these issues with the G5s

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baker Avionics said:

That is exactly what it is.  It needs to be set to a certain setting and maybe needs a software update as well.  They recently, a year ago or so, did an update to the 430W/530W to alleviate these issues with the G5s

My 530w has had the update... Is it possible for the user to change a setting to fix this ?

out of curiosity .... do you get the VOR depicted ? or that's not depicted either ?

The VOR/LOC/GS signal comes from the same 2wires in GNS (ARINC429 NAV)

the output of the GNS port has to be set up and the Input of the G5 (easy to find in the tables of the G5 documentation)     

you need to enter the setups of both units - if you are not familiar how to do that, it is best left to the shop/installer  

On 12/17/2019 at 1:29 AM, Austintatious said:

Was this installed by a legitimate shop?

If it was you have to ask why this was not all checked out prior to it being signed off......This is a basic function of the G5 HSI that should have been checked.

I have seen this a lot in aviation.  I cant tell you how many times I have seen licensed mechanics change out landing lights, nav lights etc and just walk away and not even check to see if they work afterwards. I am sure it is done on larger components....A mechanic would change out a recognition light on a Lear and put back the hundred  screws that hold the housing and walk away.  At times you would check it and it would still not work and all that time wasted........but they are the experts.......

Good luck....Sounds like a configuration is needing to be addressed or some other "wire" needs to be hooked up......

On 12/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, Austintatious said:

Hey everyone.  Noticed today that when trying to fly an ILS, there is no LOC or GS depicted on my G5 HSI in vloc mode.   It auto slews to the inbound course and changes to a green needle when the approach is activated in the 530W, however there is no CDI or GS indications.

The ODD part is that the autopilot and Flight director will fly the approach if APR is armed on the KFC150.

I am not well versed in how the 530w, the g5 and the FD/AP communicate... and unfortunately I do not know if this was ever working properly, I was told that it did, however I am not sure I can trust that the previous owner was correct.   Ive been flying RNAV WAAS approaches, but noticed this when fiddling with an ILS today.

Can you send the configurations of the GNS530 and the G5 to me?

3 hours ago, Baker Avionics said:

Can you send the configurations of the GNS530 and the G5 to me?

mmm.. maybe... As stated I am not well versed in the 530w or G5 beyond using them to fly...  I dont have access to the aircraft right now, but when I do I will at the very least try to find the config screens and take some pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hold enter on the 530W during startup and scroll through.  Power off and power back using the volume / power knob to restart the unit.  Scroll through and take pics.  

For the G5 power down both units if a dual install.  Power up the primary unit (typically AI) while holding the multifunction button in.  Scroll through and take pics.  

if it’s not a config problem then the Airinc NAV leads need to be tested for continuity and correct pin placement.  

Here are some screen shots of my configuration for reference.  Note I am testing an interface for a GNC 255 and this got turned off for in accordance with the STC prior to return to service. So ignore the input 4 source on the G5 config page.  

19189B9D-A499-499F-B3BD-BB38E0A43C4A.jpeg

0B8EF882-D678-4870-B1F8-7B0FBA85A3F4.jpeg

3842E57A-FF66-44C7-9819-91A9975479E8.jpeg

04C51EC3-3891-40C1-8353-266EF953D1A0.jpeg

17D20F57-BF4A-42A1-9877-464A84A2FC85.jpeg

also the reason why your autopilot works in appr mode is because the L R deviation signals are sent directly from your GNS 530 to the autopilot computer.  Your G5 only touches the autopilot by serving as a replacement for heading source instead of your HSI.  GPSS is a trick the g5 software uses to emulate heading errors.  The GaD29 is a box that sends electronic hearing error signals to your autopilot to accomplish the above function and to translate airinc signals from your nav box to the can bus that your G5’s communicate over. 

clear as mud, right