IoTEP - Seeking cool weather pilots, part II

BrettKS

I've put together a how-to for the DIY type to make a cellular, internet-enabled switch to control your preheater from the comfort of your couch. I'm calling it IoTEP (Internet of things engine preheater). It is not difficult to put this together and requires tools and that the majority of you I bet have laying around! Total project cost is about $100, monthly cost is ~$3/month for the cellular service. This is a much less expensive alternative to the various commercial products available. The web app control has a basic on/off toggle as well as scheduling function based on a time. I'll be adding weather-based logic to it in the near future. I'd be happy to receive feedback on both the build instructions and website functionality.

Build Instructions

For those interested in discussion of a few other ways, check the original topic here.

wizlGzR.jpg

LNKjWLi.png

• Like 2

@BrettKS Okay, the build instructions request buying the parts through the links to help with the server cost, but I must be blind because I don't see any links for buying the parts. I only see the links for initializing the unit or getting the app through Apple or Google.

What am I missing?

TIA

8 hours ago, Oldguy said:

@BrettKS Okay, the build instructions request buying the parts through the links to help with the server cost, but I must be blind because I don't see any links for buying the parts. I only see the links for initializing the unit or getting the app through Apple or Google.

What am I missing?

TIA

EDIT:

Fixed a few links. I'll get the rest working throughout the day. If there is no link, an amazon search should yield you what you want!

If anyone is interested in a "kit" purchase for cost of parts, I have spare parts from my builds and could send them your way (same cost) so you don't have to buy everything individually.

Edited by BrettKS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

I love it! It’s 50% of the cost of a KaioTime kit. Does this system work on AT&T/T-Mobile 4G?? Would it be possible to make a Sprint/Verizon capable unit too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

I'm, using one that @BrettKS made for me as part of his trial group.  It works flawlessly now that I relocated it to an area of the hangar that gets reception.  As I understand it, it works on the AT&T LTE Category M1 which AT&T has committed to supporting through 2027.  

Correct, AT&T for now. Other carriers are possible but would require some hardware change. I'll have to look into the feasibility (economics) of it.