General quesiton from the hard of hearing!

Hi,

Having done my IR I am now thinking of doing the CPL (and hopefully at some point the CFI).  Problem is that I am completely deaf in my left ear.  Right ear is completely fine, but I believe this will preclude me from getting the Class 1 medical or am I wrong on this?

Any advice?

Thanks,

al.

Hello,

As I understand it, a CPL only requires a class II medical certificate.  Furthermore, a pilot may hold a CPL with a class III medical certificate but may not exercise the priviliges of a CPL (for hire, etc.) without the class II medical certificate. (see the first link below)

With regards to the CFI, a medical certificate is not required during certain types of flight training as long as the student pilot has a medical certificate and can act as pilot in command.  A CFI must have at least a third class medical certificate when the student pilot cannot act as pilot in command (private pilot training, hood training, etc.) (see the second link below)

So, as long as you're not planning on acting as a commercial pilot or an ATP, your class III medical certificate should be just fine.

Nishant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_certifications_for_pilots

http://www.askacfi.com/235/can-a-cfi-instruct-without-a-medical.htm

There is no difference in the hearing requirement/testing procedure for any of the three classes of medical certificates. None. If you can hear the AME talk softly behind you, you can get a 1st class if you want it. I can share the pages of the AME manual are.that cover this subject if anyone needs this.

The above is true for US FAA medicals. I have no knowledge of differences in the UK. However, be careful, because my AME thought there were differences, and I was in danger of having to get expensive audiological tests (or a hearing aid Tongue out). I had to point out to him what the requirements are.

Guest Anonymous

Quote: Piloto

I have seen a one arm female ATP pilot flying for the airlines. I don't think your one ear condition will impair you from getting a first class medical. In my 30 years of flying I have never seen or heard of

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.  I am looking at the FAA route rather than the JAA route as I know that the UK require a Class I for a CPL which means good hearing within both ears.   I thought that the FAA Class 1 was the same with a demonstrated max hearing loss at various frequencies in your better and worse ear.

Ultimately what I would like to do is offer aerobatic flight experiences in a Pitts S2A but wasn't sure of the route (at least I know the destination!). 

In the UK these are mainly sold as a flying "lesson" but I guess that as most of the punters would be newbies with no flying license.  With no class 1 I wouldn't be allowed to act as PIC so not sure which way to go...

First step I think i will be the FAA CPL and go and see what comes out of the medical......

Cheers,

al  :)

• 4 months later...

I have significant but far from total hearing loss in both ears. 

So, I have a SODA - a Statement of Demonstrated Ability - issued by the FAA via my AME.   It permits me to hold a Class II or III medical, and requires I use "hearing amplification devices" such as headsets or hearing aids when flying.     It might be possible to get a SODA for Class I, I don't know, I never tried.

Talk to your AME.  The SODA is issued once, and you present it at each medical exam.

Quote: jerry-N5911Q

I have significant but far from total hearing loss in both ears. 

So, I have a SODA - a Statement of Demonstrated Ability - issued by the FAA via my AME.   It permits me to hold a Class II or III medical, and requires I use "hearing amplification devices" such as headsets or hearing aids when flying.     It might be possible to get a SODA for Class I, I don't know, I never tried.

Talk to your AME.  The SODA is issued once, and you present it at each medical exam.