Not a mooney story, but cool night in aviation.

Austintatious

11 hours ago, Austintatious said:

Yeap, a G650... was doing Mach .88 BTW!

And when I saw the original picture, I figured it was “because you were inverted” or some crazy story like that.  I really had to think about what would be flying at that level.  FL51 is crazy.  That’s awesome!!! 

• 1 month later...

E8WL1tG.jpg?1

FL510 in G650ER S/N 6205 over Florida on it's "cold soak" flight. 

Interesting thread, as it addresses rapid cabin pressure loss also. I'm one of the very lucky people who has experienced multiple in flight outflow valve failures in a G-III at altitudes from FL410-450. Not good. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, cujet said:

E8WL1tG.jpg?1

FL510 in G650ER S/N 6205 over Florida on it's "cold soak" flight. 

Interesting thread, as it addresses rapid cabin pressure loss also. I'm one of the very lucky people who has experienced multiple in flight outflow valve failures in a G-III at altitudes from FL410-450. Not good. 

Question - I once heard that in some operations (airlines?) that when flying that high there is a sop that one of the pilots is wearing a mask at all times to mitigate a possibility of a rapid decompression and difficulty of a quick mask donning.  Is that true?

15 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

The world is flat.  That picture is a deliberate distortion by the Hollywood elite to fool real people in flyover states.

In flyover country, the world IS flat.  In fact, it's so flat I can see the curvature of the earth just by looking out our second story window!  Now that's flat.

• Like 2

Worst flat earth moment evar.   Last day of Ride the Rockies.   Salida to Alamosa.   The Telephone poles merged into the horizon off the edge of the earth.    Probably a 17 mph direct upwind as the wind was moving up the valley.   Mountains on both side.   Slight downhill.   Did not help.

image.thumb.png.071e06a5d8bb300452b3173268d2aeb5.png

My astronomy professor in college issued a challenge to the class that to this day was one of my favorite thought experiments.  Using only technology available to the ancient Greeks, come up with three ways to prove the earth is round.  Only two of us succeeded, have fun!

You guys need to watch "Behind the Curve" on Netflix.  It's a documentary about the earth being round.  It's a real eye opener.  Before I watched it I had no idea.  I was so shocked.  It kept my attention through the whole movie right on the edge of my seat.  Learning about the how the world was round in a way I had never seen before.  Guys, I hate to say it, but I really didn't know.  I had no idea there were that many dumb people in this world and that the congregated so regularly.  They prove again and again that the world is round!

Seriously.  It should be listed as a comedy instead of a documentary.  They design their own experiments to prove the world is flat and end up proving again and again that it's round.  The reactions on their faces are priceless.  I linked the trailer below.  There once was a clip on youtube of the best part of the show, but for some reason, it's been taken down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkWt4Rl-ns

4 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

My astronomy professor in college issued a challenge to the class that to this day was one of my favorite thought experiments.  Using only technology available to the ancient Greeks, come up with three ways to prove the earth is round.  Only two of us succeeded, have fun!

Oh come now - give me something harder.

In 240 B.C., the Greek astronomer Eratosthenes made the first good measurement of the size of Earth. By noting the angles of shadows in two cities on the Summer Solstice, and by performing the right calculations using his knowledge of geometry and the distance between the cities, Eratosthenes was able to make a remarkably accurate calculation of the circumference of Earth. Let's take a closer look at how he did it!

https://www.windows2universe.org/citizen_science/myw/w2u_eratosthenes_calc_earth_size.html

Essentially there was one day of the year that at (almost noon) the sun was so directly overhead that in a deep well there was no shadow even on the bottom.  So then at the same time at another location a hike away - the shadow was not at the bottom - so based on that not only can you conclude the earth is round, but you can even calculate the size of the globe, and they did to astonishingly high accuracy.  In 240BC.

Now if the professor had asked a harder question like prove Einstein's theory of general relativity using only the tools and methods available to the ancient greeks - I would be stumped.

Come to think of it - here's a good one - the ancient greeks had a way to prove that matter existed of atoms and they even had a way to measure the size of an atom, quite accurately.

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

My only question for flat earthers...”where’s the edge?”

Well could it be flat but infinite - an infinite plane?  Or maybe it is flat but then embedded in a periodic space with a discontinuity?

Or maybe there is an edge and its just past Uedgistan in Southern Europe?

13 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Oh come now - give me something harder.

OK, that's one... only two more to go. :D  Also remember, this was a question proposed to 19 year old kids before the internet was a thing.  Maybe I'm not the brightest, but it really challenged me to come up with three different methods on my own, which made it quite fun.

One of my three answers was basically the same as yours, but I'd never heard of Eratosthenes.  I said you could use a stick or a pole and measure the angle at two different locations on the same date and time.

• Like 1

So then at the same time at another location a hike away - the shadow was not at the bottom - so based on that not only can you conclude the earth is round...

Not necessarily true, if the sun was close, you’d have the same result on a flat earth because the light wouldn’t be basically parallel at both locations.

6 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

My only question for flat earthers...”where’s the edge?”

Watch "The Gods Must be Crazy", where the bushman takes the coke bottle (that was thrown out of a small airplane) to the end of the world to toss it back to the gods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

OK, that's one... only two more to go. :D  Also remember, this was a question proposed to 19 year old kids before the internet was a thing.  Maybe I'm not the brightest, but it really challenged me to come up with three different methods on my own, which made it quite fun.

One of my three answers was basically the same as yours, but I'd never heard of Eratosthenes.  I said you could use a stick or a pole and measure the angle at two different locations on the same date and time.

Ok, ok.  Well that one was historical and they actually did it and they did get a good measurement even.

Method 2 - watch a ship sail off to sea and watch the tall mast disappear gradually.

Method 3 - watch a sunset then ride a fast horse up a steep hill and watch it set again.  I did that in college with a Motorcycle in Berkeley - a motorcycle is fast enough.  You can even measure the earth again this way with knowledge of the altitude change and a stop watch.  You can sort of do it at the beach simply by crouching down - watch sunset and then jump up at the instant it disappears and see the sun again - Ive done that too.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

On a good clear day...

Sitting at the beach on cape cod...

Looking south towards Martha’s vineyard...

Parts of the island disappear behind the ocean...

Making it confusingly look like a few smaller islands...

The tall glacier built hills stand above the curvature, better than the low lands...

5 miles away, is probably not enough distance to notice the far away beach disappear....

20 miles away, whole parts of the island seem to be missing...

Old fuzzy memories of sailing around cape cod...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1