Poor man’s jet setting

larrynimmo

On Thursday at 1030 am I loaded up the ski equipment and flew about 180 miles to mount poconos...picked up an Uber ride to camelback mountain resort...purchased a season pass for over 65, and skied non stop for 2 1/2 hours and caught an Uber back to the airport so I could fly back during twilight....”flew my Lear jet to Nova Scotia..to photograph a total eclipse of the sun”

mooney freedom!

C9EBDAEA-B131-4799-8E43-58F6CA549B4F.jpeg

1E8995C1-FA1A-4198-AAB6-8C0F0F08F5F0.jpeg

0D8D24E8-B7C8-41C9-B13B-CFF6A99F8AA9.jpeg

3B134FB2-57E0-4A5C-8009-A54A308515A8.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about doing this many times!  Stowe VT is a 2hr jaunt for me, and Mt. Pocono is trivial. 

Good snow conditions and good flying weather for the non FIKI piston single crowd do not go hand in hand however :unsure:

Then there's the worry about runway conditions at a small field after the kind of snow dump that would otherwise make me want to fire up the plane and go.

The West Coast folks put us to shame though when it comes to skiing..  I'm sticking the plane in annual this morning instead and heading to Park City over the holidays...would love to take the M20C there instead of Delta, but it might not end well ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Larry,

any details you can share regarding the Uber and the distance from airport to camelback?

Something I’d like to explore more...

When that works... Rutland Vt is next...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

the distance to Camelback ski is about 10 miles or 20 minutes from Poconos Mountain Airport.  When I arrived last Thursday, airport staff debated lending me their courtesy car, but decided not to...only took a few minutes for uber to arrive and cost was about $20 + tip (each way)  neither vehicle had much space, but they had room for my new downsized skis (170 s)and equipment...both vehicles could have accommodated two skiers (or snowboarders)  I will also report back to you again after trip 2 which will be either Thursday or Friday this week.  this time I will be flying VFR for a much more direct route.  I have tried to fly  IFR on just about every flight...I do have my limits.

Im not adverse to doing a Vermont ski trip, but my mooney will be going into annual in January and my AP has his own list of long term repairs and anti-coroision mission on my near 40 year old bird. (and over 250 tach hours since last annual)

• Like 1

For comparison...

I flew up to Hunter Mountain and used a glider port... 1L5... nearly a decade ago... 

taxis up there were not a good plan...

Runway was 2,275... more than adequate for two people and a Long Body...

Looks like scheduling an Uber makes a whole lot more sense...

The glider port looked abandoned for the season... no signs of life...

Plenty of mountains... VFR only...

A friend was looking for something to do... weather was great... so we went...

Trying to do this with family... there is no skiing in IMC for my family...  :)

Thanks for sharing the details...

This would really make sense,  two people, equipment that fits, and a season’s pass.... hit the mountain ready to go...

my buddy brought his snow board... that fits in the Back of the O with plenty of space... (back seats folded down...)

Thanks again and best regards,

-a-

On 12/14/2019 at 10:27 AM, kmyfm20s said:

Did the same thing on the 9th. San Diego to Mammoth mountain. I call it my 5 to 5’s, leave the house at 5am and back in the house at 5pm. Nothing better than weekday skiing! 
975796B1-D3A1-4E2C-83D3-2817328DFBFF.thumb.jpeg.cf7897b5d090f95e0bd62d3c583c0b74.jpeg

6BE7E2D2-F443-4FE8-ABFF-4ADDC108072E.thumb.jpeg.ed69f1a30b82679033b6ffaea6d55c72.jpeg

2904223C-2065-4C87-A4DF-136EAE220976.thumb.jpeg.2d0a2df19983d6111daf804a50514095.jpeg

What was the cost of transportation from the airport to the ski resort? uber, taxi, local shuttle?  My son has an icon pass and was asking about flying to Mammoth.

6 hours ago, Jetrn said:

What was the cost of transportation from the airport to the ski resort? uber, taxi, local shuttle?  My son has an icon pass and was asking about flying to Mammoth.

There are a few options. Shuttle, cab and car rental. The shuttle used to be $15 per person each way. Cab was about $35 each way and car rental varies but could be as low as $50 for the day. I don’t know the exact amounts anymore because I have access to a friends airport car.  Call Hot Creek Aviation and they can give you better numbers. They are a very down to earth group of people. Uber has been limited up there but is getting better. If you want to store a car at the airport it’s $80 a month.

• Thanks 1

@ReconMax but even with our Mooney's from Texas we just can't fly up to the closest mountain top in the morning and be back home for dinner.   I have never calculated out the nearest mountain to ski, but it has to be 5+ hours in my bird.  Just looked up one of my favorite ski resorts Taos, NM and it is about 4:45 (Do not know if anything would be significantly closer)!  I have been wanting to fly to CO for a long weekend etc.

Edited by wcb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wcb said:

@ReconMax but even with our Mooney's from Texas we just can't fly up to the closest mountain top in the morning and be back home for dinner.   I have never calculated out the nearest mountain to ski, but it has to be 5+ hours in my bird.  Just looked up one of my favorite ski resorts Taos, NM and it is about 4:45 (Do not know if anything would be significantly closer)!  I have been wanting to fly to CO for a long weekend etc.

I'd like to go to Breckenridge. It's on my list for sure. No current imminent plans though. It would be cool to make a day-trip of skiing but, probably not in the cards for us Texas boys. If I made the trip, I'd probably want to be prepared to make a week of it.

19 minutes ago, ReconMax said:

I'd like to go to Breckenridge. It's on my list for sure. No current imminent plans though. It would be cool to make a day-trip of skiing but, probably not in the cards for us Texas boys. If I made the trip, I'd probably want to be prepared to make a week of it.

That is part of the reason about 1/2 the people on the slopes at breck are Texans.  We have to go for a week to make it worth while.

• Haha 1