DC TFR

markgrue

who is they? How much do you know so far?

this may help get you closer... until somebody in the know arrives...

This is probably a common question, so the search feature may reveal some practices...

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/22237-washington-dc/?tab=comments#comment-346927

Security and XPDR pass codes...

Check the charts for the not-so-temporary, giant, TFR around DC...

AOPA does a good job defining what is needed... inner ring, vs. outer ring...

There is an MSC in close so there are a few MSers with experience...

Then there are ways of getting into DC, from there...

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

who is they? How much do you know so far?

this may help get you closer... until somebody in the know arrives...

This is probably a common question, so the search feature may reveal some practices...

Security and XPDR pass codes...

Check the charts for the not-so-temporary, giant, TFR around DC...

AOPA does a good job defining what is needed... inner ring, vs. outer ring...

There is an MSC in close so there are a few MSers with experience...

Then there are ways of getting into DC, from there...

Best regards,

-a-

So far I know only what is on the Terminal area chart.  They being the FAA as noted on the TAC.  It says "Special awareness training required within 60 NM of DCA VOR-DME.  See description in atlantic ocean"  Tried faasafety.gov but it is down for maintenance

Mark

On 12/13/2019 at 10:28 PM, markgrue said:

So far I know only what is on the Terminal area chart.  They being the FAA as noted on the TAC.  It says "Special awareness training required within 60 NM of DCA VOR-DME.  See description in atlantic ocean"  Tried faasafety.gov but it is down for maintenance

Mark

Tipton is a nice little airport. You will need to complete the online SFRA training. First thing is to create a profile on https://faasafety.gov, then select the DC SFRA course.  I believe you need to print out a card that shows you've completed the course.

edit: their server is doing odd things right now...

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

I haven’t done it but I have all the requirements to do it. There’s a test and a background check if I remember correctly. 

you then need to file a VFR flightplan saying when you plan to go in or out of the airport. 

it’s not that big a deal. Just make sure to do the paperwork and flight plan. The test is easy. I keep the certificate with my airworthiness and registration. 

Edited by chriscalandro

3 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

I haven’t done it but I have all the requirements to do it. There’s a test and a background check if I remember correctly. 

you then need to file a VFR flightplan saying when you plan to go in or out of the airport. 

it’s not that big a deal. Just make sure to do the paperwork and flight plan. The test is easy. I keep the certificate with my airworthiness and registration. 

Background check is only for the MD3 airports in the FRZ (CGS, VKX and W32). Those airports require a background check, finger printing and a special pin for ingress and egress.

After meeting the requirements with the SFRA training, I recommend filing IFR instead of VFR.  It will simplify your process.  If nothing else, you will not get dropped by ATC as you approach the SFRA and then have to call the DC area ATC for the DC SFRA.   

• Like 1

Tipton is an easily-accessible GA airport just south of BWI and clear of the inner ring of the SFRA.  

Suggestion to file IFR is a good idea: That makes the flight like any other IFR operation to an airport located under Class B airspace.  

Don’t cancel until you are on the ground. Clearance delivery before departure via your cell phone is straightforward.  

The FAA training mainly covers VFR operations inside the SFRA, and the additional requirements of the “Maryland 3” airports. Little  of that applies to an IFR flight into and out of Tipton   

Thanks.  I will try again in the morning.  Perhaps it will be back up.

Mark

Flying inside the SFRA is no big deal. Get the training,file the plan, IFR is better. VFR plan will be require a special designation on the plan. You will need to get a transponder code assigned before departure or entry to the SFRA, don’t squawk 1200 inside it. The training explains it all. Make sure to stay away from the FRZ as that has much stricter requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went through the process to fly to the Maryland 3 airports. Needed to do the online training, submit my information for a security clearance, fingerprinted and a very brief interview on the phone. I have my eye on College Park. Used to fly there before 9/11. Conveniently close to the Metro which takes you to downtown D.C. IFR is the way to go,

9 hours ago, Dan at S43 said:

After meeting the requirements with the SFRA training, I recommend filing IFR instead of VFR.  It will simplify your process.  If nothing else, you will not get dropped by ATC as you approach the SFRA and then have to call the DC area ATC for the DC SFRA.   

Unfortunately I am not IFR rated.  It does not look terribly difficult but I see I will have to go west after departure so as not to overfly the FRZ.  It will add a bit to the trip but not terrible.  

Mark

Couple of things:

- FAA DC SFRA course - seems everyone already told you about that. Takes about 45 min. You need to print the certificate at the end, but don't have to have it on you. However, you're able to print a small credit card sized version that should be easy enough to throw in your flight bag/wallet/grocery bag. There's also a super convenient kneeboard page with a summary of what you need to know: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/405/1310/170301 Kneeboard - DC SFRA Checklist.pdf

- If you know in advance you're going to go through or land inside the SFRA, the best thing to do is to file a DC SFRA flight plan in advance. If you use Foreflight, there's a specific format (DC SFRA), if you file on 1800wxbrief, then you need to file as IFR (even if you're flying VFR) and then in the Altitude field, you put VFR/XX (XX being the altitude you're requesting in hundreds of feet). Then you need to put in the gate you're entering through (if you're coming from the East, probably the PALEO gate) as your departure point, and the airport you intend to land on as destination. When you're close enough to the SFRA ring (like over the chesapeake bay), call Potomac Approach on the radio and tell them where you are and that you have an SFRA flight plan on file - they'll find you in the system and give you a squawk code - THAT'S YOUR CLEARANCE. They won't say anything else, like "you're cleared into the SFRA" or anything. They'll just give you a squawk code and, if they're in a good mood, tell you to stay clear of the Bravo - sometimes they just expect you to know that. You have to enter through the gate you filed as departure - and you're supposed to go straight to your destination (following whatever route you filed). If you deviate too much or start flying around (taking pictures of your house or whatever) they'll call you and ask you what you're doing

- There's a special DC area VFR Flyway chart that's VERY helpful, with suggested altitudes etc. Most people stick to those recommendations.

- If you didn't file a flight plan in advance, you can do it in the air. There are special frequencies (coming from the East, it's 132.77) that you call and tell them what you want to do - "I want to file an SFRA flight plan" and then entry gate, destination, altitude, type of plane etc. just like filing with FSS. Then they'll give you a squawk code and send you over to approach. No sweat - it's standard procedure and that's all they do on that frequency

-You don't need to close the SFRA flight plan. It closes automatically when you land (even in non-towered airports - it's like magic). Unless you're doing pattern work - but that's a whole different topic.

- If you're taking off from within the SFRA, then same procedure - file the SFRA flight plan with airport as departure and GATE as destination. They don't care where you go after you leave the SFRA - they just want to know where you're exiting it. So again, if going East, PALEO gate is your destination. VERY IMPORTANT: you need to call potomac approach and get a squawk code and frequency BEFORE TAKING OFF, on the ground. You can call them on the phone or on the radio, it doesn't matter - but you need that squawk code before going anywhere. It's like getting an IFR clearance, but all you're getting is a frequency and the squawk code. If you want to get flight following after leaving the SFRA, let them know when you call them on the ground. Sometimes it works and they'll give you a different code and hand you over, often they'll drop you anyway and you have to call approach again. Just don't tell them on the same call when they drop you - you'll get a scolding (not sure why - but it happens)

- Never squawk 1200 within the SFRA - they'll yell at you on multiple frequencies, then send the Coast Guard orange chopper, then the F-16s

- Watch out for the bravo shelves - it's a mess. Between Dulles, DCA, and BWI, plus the FRZ, it's all very tight and narrow. And the floor of the bravo keeps changing in every direction - easy to miss

- if you're flying into Leesburg coming from the West/Northwest, then it's a lot simpler - squawk 1226 and call 10nm ahead (to tower or CTAF depending on the time). That's it. But it doesn't seem like that's what you're going to do

I think that's it. But as many people pointed out - if you can, file IFR and all of that goes away.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like 3

It's really not that hard to go VFR. Where are you based. I'd be happy to fly with you... I have flown there several times including the College Park. (I have my security clearance).
I've gone VFR and IFR. While it is somewhat easier to go IFR you may not want to do that in the winter.

It really is no big deal to go VFR. I have always found the controllers very helpful and never had a problem getting flight following continued once clear of the TFR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As Ricky_231 said above, never have 1200 on your transponder while in the SFRA.  Check your transponder code several times as part of your pre-SFRA, landing and pre-takeoff checklists, and be careful not to inadvertently bump the 1200 / VFR button if you have one.  If you do inadvertently squawk 1200, in addition to the military response you are facing an FAA-imposed mandatory vacation from flying.

1 hour ago, epsalant said:

It's really not that hard to go VFR. Where are you based. I'd be happy to fly with you... I have flown there several times including the College Park. (I have my security clearance).
I've gone VFR and IFR. While it is somewhat easier to go IFR you may not want to do that in the winter.

It really is no big deal to go VFR. I have always found the controllers very helpful and never had a problem getting flight following continued once clear of the TFR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Agreed - and maybe I'm just unlucky, but more than once I've had controllers complain I didn't tell them in advance that I wanted FF to my final destination... They'll still do it (helpful indeed), but complain nonetheless. Not a big deal either way

• 1 month later...

I jumped through the silly fake-security FRZ hoops many years ago, when this feel-good foolishness was first invented. Since then I‘ve flown into Hyde Field and College Park many times. These days I indulge myself with GAI’s extra 1400 feet of runway,  or so, but CGS is ever so much better...except for its shortness. An easy walk to the Metro, good folk, and no busy ESL flight schools to work around. And it seems the best use of an instrument rating I know of, with pleasant ATC handholding the whole way.

Thus satisfied, I haven’t bothered to figure out what this week’s latest missive is all about, but if you plan to fly vfr into the SFRA, it might be worth studying.

• Like 1

Was based at KVKX (Potomac Airfield (one of the DC3)) for approx. 12 years after 9/11, after a bit it becomes second nature to fly in the SFRA and FRZ.

Here is a link to Potomac's website with link to the training. http://potomac-airfield.com/  

I won't get in to the absurdity of this TFR, the videos' on the website will sum that up.

Relax and enjoy the video's, all in all it fairly easy.

• Like 1