Memphis Area M20 Drivers?

Hi all.  I'm a 55 hour student pilot based in Memphis and am starting to think about what I'd like to do about an airplane once I get my ticket, hopefully next month.  I have a little Cherokee time, but mainly have been flying a 172.  The M20 series seems to be an interesting value proposition, but I'd like to try one on for size.  I'm 6'3" 220lbs, so want to make sure I fit and am comfortable before adding the airframe to my shopping list.

Are there any vintage Mooney drivers in the greater Memphis area?  I'd love to meet you and see your airplane if you could spare the time.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Brad

Welcome aboard, @bradhescock!

There are several of us in the community who are your size or larger (oh, @Yetti!). I myself am a petite 6'5" and go about 220# these days and fly a 1984 M20 J. You will not find any real difference in the front seat space between the short bodies (A-E), mid-bodies (F,G,J,K), and long bodies (M-V) but the differences come into play for those folks in the rear seats and the space in the luggage area.

The seating position is different, however, from the position you have experienced in the 172. The difference to me is the difference in sitting in a pickup (172) to a Corvette or any sports car where your legs are more straight out in front of you.

The Mooney line has several different planes to fit what your mission will be, so thinking about that will help better define which model or models would work better for you. I tend to fly more in the southeastern US, so getting over 10,000-12,000' is going to be a rare occurrence for me. My NA J model works well. For folks out west or spending a lot of time climbing over taller land, a turbo better fits their needs.

Tell us a little more about what you want to do with your Mooney and who, if anyone, will be flying with you.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bradhescock said:

Hi all.  I'm a 55 hour student pilot based in Memphis and am starting to think about what I'd like to do about an airplane once I get my ticket, hopefully next month.  I have a little Cherokee time, but mainly have been flying a 172.  The M20 series seems to be an interesting value proposition, but I'd like to try one on for size.  I'm 6'3" 220lbs, so want to make sure I fit and am comfortable before adding the airframe to my shopping list.

Are there any vintage Mooney drivers in the greater Memphis area?  I'd love to meet you and see your airplane if you could spare the time.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Brad

I'm a bit south of you in MS.  I am 6'1" and about 230lbs.  I fly a M20F.  Your size will not be a problem.

1 hour ago, bradhescock said:

Cheers,

Brad

Brad,

I have a C model based at West Memphis.  I would be happy to show it to you.  Send me a PM and we’ll find a convenient time.

Russ Savory

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies!  My mission is developing.  For the first 100 hours or so, I'd anticipate it would be just me in the airplane.  I'd like to earn my instrument rating.  Typical flights will be from Memphis to DFW, STL (where my son is in college, WashU) and wherever my daughter ends up choosing for college next year (likely somewhere in NC.)  I don't see me doing anything super long distance, but who knows.  I'd rather solve for 80% of the mission (just me in the plane or perhaps me and my wife, <400nm) than overbuy capability at this stage in the game.  If we find that everybody loves flying as much as I do, then I can start thinking about a big boy plane.

I've been limiting my search to Lycoming 4-cyl powered certified aircraft in the $50k purchase price range that would have a clear exit strategy/market should I decide to upgrade after flying for a couple of years.  That's led me to a 172, a M20x, or a PA28 of some flavor.  The M20's speed seems like it would lend itself to being more "upgrade proof" than a fixed gear Cherokee 180 or certainly a 172, i.e. I could see being inclined to keep it longer.  

Cheers,

Brad

• Like 2

Brad,

you solved your own list of priorities...

Congrats!

Go Mooney!

Now....    C, E, or F?

There are many Forever-planes of these varieties around MS...

Just be cautious of expectations...  some forever-planes have your entire budget spent on the instrument panel alone... :)

Some like the O360... others prefer the IO360s...

Best regards,

-a-

@bradhescock, your mission sounds much like mine was initially. I bought my C with 62 hours, and commuted regularly from Furthest WV to see family in NC and GA. Never had a problem with terrain getting in the way, just hold 7500 msl or greater. Now I'm back in God's country, but still travel at 7500-10,000 msl. The C is an incredibly capable and versatile machine, as long as you don't carry lots of large items with you. My wife and I still run out of space before useful load or CG, although after 12 years she has learned to pack a little lighter.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Brad,

I'm based at Dewitt Spain airport in Memphis and have owned a Cherokee 140, Piper Arrow, Cessna 152, Mooney M20F for 10 years and currently a M20K.  Would be happy to discuss your questions and take you for a flight.  I'm 6'2" and 235 lbs.  PM me with your contact info.  

Barry

@carusoam & @Stephen So far so good.  I was able to spend some time with Sean ( @Bayern Speed) yesterday afternoon and poke around on his F.  I like the mid-body cabin and the Mooney design in general.  The seating position feels good and sports-car like as I anticipated, and don't anticipate any fit issues.  Definitely cements a mid-body onto my shopping list.  I think the C or E would be a great airplane, but with my tall family, I'm not sure how practical the cabin size would be for us.  The hunt continues.

• Like 1