Attitude Indicator Tumbling.

MrRodgers

Hi everyone.

Finished a flight recently and prior to landing my Attitude Indicator started to tumble. (See Video Below).

I have checked the system and it appears that it is not vacuum pump related.  Any suggestions on a cost effective solution to this without the need to buy new or refurbished would be appreciated. 

Can these be sent back to the manufacturer for repair at a price that makes sense?  Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Looks like you are on an extreme roller coaster ride...

Choices...

1) Pull out and connect to a vacuum source to prove the device has croaked... could be a local leak...

2) If it has ks of hours on it... it’s probably worn bearings...

3) Used Replacements are pretty cheap... lots of G5s and Aspens going in, plenty of old vac instruments coming out...

4) If it is relatively new, and you really like it, take it to local instrument shop...

5) How do you feel about electronic instruments?

6) For Lowest cost replacement... See what @Alan Fox has on the shelf...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Depending on what your future panel plans are and what, if any, autopilot that you have, it might be money well spent to put in a G5 or dual G5.

A video like that shows how confusing things can get in an IFR situation when the pilot loses an attitude indicator. If you plan on getting your instrument rating think about two certified attitude sources. 

• Like 2

I had mine refurbished a while ago.  I wish I would have just stepped up to a G5.  The difference in price would be well worth it.

I had to replace my DG with a new G5 HSI.  It can switch between the two functions, and I love the added capability, not to mention the attitude-indicator backup.

Instrument overhaul in San Diego can overhaul it - usually cheaper than exchange. Then exchange if you want to minimize down time at more $. Then of course going to new modern G5 etc.
Welcome to airplane ownership and maintenance. These tend to last 5-10 yrs between overhaul; sometimes a bit longer when lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we have had at least one thread on this issue and my recollection is that a G5 can be primary but it cannot be the BU AI for an Aspen... is that still the case?

I have a vacuum AI, as well as a BU ASI that probably needs overhaul, as well as a BU Altimeter that Isom could all go with a G5. Too logical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, Bob_Belville said:

I know we have had at least one thread on this issue and my recollection is that a G5 can be primary but it cannot be the BU AI for an Aspen... is that still the case?

I have a vacuum AI, as well as a BU ASI that probably needs overhaul, as well as a BU Altimeter that Isom could all go with a G5. Too logical?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends... the stc for a G5 says it can’t be a required backup, but ask @gsxrpilot and he’ll tell you it can if you go through your local fsdo.  

Id definitely go the G5 route if possible. 

• Like 1

One of the manufacturers has a reputation for being a POS, as mine does the same thing occasionally.  I think I have the same instrument, the overhaul shop, who will remain unmentioned, also didn’t do it right, twice.  I am thinking I will go with an electric one.