Would like photo of the leather hood

HRM

Honestly, how kinky is this aircraft?

Apparently vintage Mooneys had the fuel pump fitted with a leather hood that was fed with a SCAT hose off of the doghouse for cooling against vapor lock. This may have been only FI engines.

I am curious as to what this hood looked like, the one on my E disintegrated long before I got her and I just went through some detective work on an errant hose and discovered this hood thing.

I can just imagine the Google results some people are going to get from this thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My old F had one, but it was reinforced baffle seal material, not leather.

What year was the F? I am still trying to determine if the Sage of Longview was pulling my leg when he said "leather hood".

Did you by any chance have a photo of it?

12 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The only problem with installing the aluminum version is the number of maintainers who can’t change the pump let alone add the shrouds well.

If I remember correctly the Mooney version just fit around the pump and wasn’t attached to the pump.

Clarence

32 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The only problem with installing the aluminum version is the number of maintainers who can’t change the pump let alone add the shrouds well.

If I remember correctly the Mooney version just fit around the pump and wasn’t attached to the pump.

Clarence

The one on my 67 F had an aluminum top with an aluminum port for 1” duct on the side. It has a skirt of reinforced baffle seal, the same stuff they used for the baffle at the time. It was stapled on. It had cut outs for the fittings and the lever housing. I think it had holes for lacing cord below the lever housing, but nobody did that except the factory. It just sat there.

13 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The one on my 67 F had an aluminum top with an aluminum port for 1” duct on the side. It has a skirt of reinforced baffle seal, the same stuff they used for the baffle at the time. It was stapled on. It had cut outs for the fittings and the lever housing. I think it had holes for lacing cord below the lever housing, but nobody did that except the factory. It just sat there.

I’ve only seen a few of these over the years, most were in poor condition.  Like all things Mooney, simple and straight forward and easy to install.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve only seen a few of these over the years, most were in poor condition.  Like all things Mooney, simple and straight forward and easy to install.

Clarence

Apparently, you never took a picture. No matter, were they made of leather or baffle material? Perhaps baffle material was indeed leather back in the day.

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I have one on mine it is held together by oil tar.  I dispute the easy to install part.