Buyer Beware - Chief Aircraft

jrwilson

Another bad experience with Chief, but I'm the one who tried to buy from them again, despite bad experiences in the past...So my fault.

Tried to buy an oxygen filling station.  Never got a shipping date or anything.  Called customer service four times over two weeks, kept being told they would contact the manufacturer to see when it would ship, but I never heard back from Chief about the response. Finally spoke to a supervisor, and she had a poor attitude, refused to transfer to her manager, etc.  Had to cancel the order because I needed it by Christmas.  Very disappointing experience but I think it solidified me not using Chief anymore.

• Thanks 1

Another bad experience with Chief, but I'm the one who tried to buy from them again, despite bad experiences in the past...So my fault.
Tried to buy an oxygen filling station.  Never got a shipping date or anything.  Called customer service four times over two weeks, kept being told they would contact the manufacturer to see when it would ship, but I never heard back from Chief about the response. Finally spoke to a supervisor, and she had a poor attitude, refused to transfer to her manager, etc.  Had to cancel the order because I needed it by Christmas.  Very disappointing experience but I think it solidified me not using Chief anymore.

I had a similar issue when I went looking for RG-400. Sent the wrong stuff and then tried to ping me for a restocking fee and return shipping cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

It gets old when somebody tries to sell you something they don’t own. It says in stock, but after you hit buy it now or whatever then oh will get back with you with the shipping date and then three weeks pass

exactly!  And I'm calling them and they keep saying they'll call back with an update, but of course never do...

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

It gets old when somebody tries to sell you something they don’t own. It says in stock, but after you hit buy it now or whatever then oh will get back with you with the shipping date and then three weeks pass

Drop shipping has been sop for many businesses for many years.   Otherwise you pay shipping twice.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

Drop shipping has been sop for many businesses for many years.   Otherwise you pay shipping twice.   

I get that part. What i dont get is the "in stock" note on the page, and after you buy it, it gets backordered and takes three weeks. Drop shipping is one thing, make to order by someone else is another.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I get that part. What i dont get is the "in stock" note on the page, and after you buy it, it gets backordered and takes three weeks. Drop shipping is one thing, make to order by someone else is another.

Amazon doesn’t have all the stuff they stock either. In stock doesn’t necessarily mean in their inventory. The inventory systems are linked. 

-Robert 

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Call Dana Blix. He owns the place. He was always a straight shooter.

Well that is part of the problem...I asked to speak to someone in charge.  They said nobody was available...  I said have them call me but shockingly, nobody did.  I don't have Dana's number and it certainly isn't listed on their site.  Customer service there was part of the problem.  

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Amazon doesn’t have all the stuff they stock either. In stock doesn’t necessarily mean in their inventory. The inventory systems are linked. 

-Robert 

The key being "Inventory systems are linked."  That is clearly not the case at Chief, since it took them over two weeks to let me know  shipping wouldn't be for another week.

19 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

The key being "Inventory systems are linked."  That is clearly not the case at Chief, since it took them over two weeks to let me know  shipping wouldn't be for another week.

Just means this supplier’s inventory system sucks. 
chief is caught in the middle and probably similarly frustrated. 

-Robert

17 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Just means this supplier’s inventory system sucks. 
chief is caught in the middle and probably similarly frustrated. 

-Robert

I'd have to agree, and to @jrwilson's point, they should be in control of their supply chain, and be more supportive of their customer base in order to retain business and acquire new.  These days...especially in the aviation world...it's not wise to piss off anyone.  It's hard enough to make money in aviation as an honest, hard-working, reputable company, and all it takes is one employee's attitude and lack of caring about a customer to screw it up.  I'm sure many business owners on here (aviation-related of not) can relate.

While I wouldn't base a purchase decision from Chief solely off one person's report (although he did report more than one bad experience), it certainly doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies about the company.  Maybe someone from Chief is present here and could come along and offer some sort of constructive insight to help dispel a negative perception...?

Steve

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Call Dana Blix. He owns the place. He was always a straight shooter.

Agreed.  I had a good experience with Dana at Chief.  Bought new Gtx335 from him.  He emailed me few days later to to say it was discounted by Garmin NOW and gave me the disc.  I had no idea.  

21 minutes ago, KB4 said:

Agreed.  I had a good experience with Dana at Chief.  Bought new Gtx335 from him.  He emailed me few days later to to say it was discounted by Garmin NOW and gave me the disc.  I had no idea.  

Don't you have to be a Garmin dealer to buy those for certified aircraft (or at least to generate the STC)?

-Robert

My impression (perhaps inaccurate) is that Aircraft Spruce stocks most all of the products they sell and only occasionally drop ships from suppliers, while Chief doesn't really stock anything, just places orders to suppliers to drop ship to customers. I think I only got this impression from my own dealings and what I have heard others report.

15 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

My impression (perhaps inaccurate) is that Aircraft Spruce stocks most all of the products they sell and only occasionally drop ships from suppliers, while Chief doesn't really stock anything, just places orders to suppliers to drop ship to customers. I think I only got this impression from my own dealings and what I have heard others report.

That’s why I always deal with Spruce, its always been a pleasure and they have everything. Plus it’s fun to drop in to  their big Peachtree City store and they’ll send someone to pick you up or you can take a courtesy car from Falcon field which is just a minute away.

• Like 1

I had chief drop ship my windows from LP aero.  Wholesale pricing and I was able to pick up the windows from LP  (used to live near their factory).  Overall it was a seamless experience, and their rep followed up with me to make sure things were on track.  My experience was a good one, but that's the only chief purchase I've made.

Mostly I purchase from spruce because it's typically 2 days ground. When I used to live in PA, there was a east coast warehouse (can't remember the name of the warehouse) spruce contracted with - so ground shipping ended up being next day effectively.

• Thanks 1

I had chief drop ship my windows from LP aero.  Wholesale pricing and I was able to pick up the windows from LP  (used to live near their factory).  Overall it was a seamless experience, and their rep followed up with me to make sure things were on track.  My experience was a good one, but that's the only chief purchase I've made.
Mostly I purchase from spruce because it's typically 2 days ground. When I used to live in PA, there was a east coast warehouse (can't remember the name of the warehouse) spruce contracted with - so ground shipping ended up being next day effectively.

Aircraft Spruce bought the company (Aero Perormance) in Harrisburg, PA and they will often shipped east coast orders from that location. You can also stop in and pick stuff up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Aircraft Spruce bought the company (Aero Performance) in Harrisburg, PA and they will often shipped east coast orders from that location. You can also stop in and pick stuff up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1