Do any of you carry a folding bicycle or e-bike in the back seat?

Well, Santa promised me a new electric vehicle to throw in the back of the Mooney and ride around the airport. It is on backorder till the middle of march. I will report on it when it gets here. You can all come visit me in the hospital when I crash. They say it will go 32 miles on a charge.

GT_Tile_Shopping.png

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, philip_g said:

I tried to ride a coworkers one wheel. I don't snowboard or skateboard and I can't surf or sup so my balance just isn't up to the task. She loves hers though. She's about 55 and hauls ass around town on it 

I’ve ridden one for about a minute. The owner was a OneWheel instructor. He said it usually takes a few hours to get good at it. He was holding me up when I was standing on it. I asked him to let go. When he hid I took off down the street. We will see if that was a one time deal or if I can actually ride it. 

29 minutes ago, philip_g said:

I tried to ride a coworkers one wheel. I don't snowboard or skateboard and I can't surf or sup so my balance just isn't up to the task. She loves hers though. She's about 55 and hauls ass around town on it 

Yes, they are for kids. I’m just turning 65, those young 55 year olds better watch out.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Well, Santa promised me a new electric vehicle to throw in the back of the Mooney and ride around the airport. It is on backorder till the middle of march. I will report on it when it gets here. You can all come visit me in the hospital when I crash. They say it will go 32 miles on a charge.

GT_Tile_Shopping.png

I have the XR and wanted to buy the GT when it came out, but I've yet to come close to the 18 mile range before being able to recharge. Wear a helmet is my advice. I've had a close call and my buddy on his knocked his head pretty good not wearing a helmet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeph357 said:

I have the XR and wanted to buy the GT when it came out, but I've yet to come close to the 18 mile range before being able to recharge. Wear a helmet is my advice. I've had a close call and my buddy on his knocked his head pretty good not wearing a helmet.

How fast was he going when he crashed? Why did he crash? Did he violate the pushback? 

The beauty of being an old fart on one of these is I’m not out to set any speed records.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

3 hours ago, philip_g said:

What's violate the pushback?

From what I read, if you get close to its limits of power to keep you upright, it will try to raise the nose indicating that you should ease off. If you don’t, it will eventually shut down. This is known as the nosedive. It usually happens while going max speed. You do an instant severe face plant. 

When it does the pushback, some people push harder to go faster. They are the ones with the broken faces.

The pushback happens while trying to go too fast, or up too steep a hill, or you are not balanced on the wheel and it has to work too hard to keep you upright.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

How fast was he going when he crashed? Why did he crash? Did he violate the pushback? 

The beauty of being an old fart on one of these is I’m not out to set any speed records.

I was closing up my hangar he was on his onewheel and another buddy driving his cart left  to go to his hangar I pulled up to them and he was snoring on the taxiway. Apple watch shattered shirt ripped up arm and the big one was his head he doesn't remember but I'm betting he blew right thru the pushback. I did once and was lucky I'm a quick learner. I would suggest "fangs" (the nose wheels) I think that's what gave me an extra second of seeing the ground coming.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Wife and fly a few times each summer to Nantucket in my C172.  We bought 2 Jupiter Discovery X5’s this past spring and used them on the island this summer a couple of times.  From KACK to downtown, around downtown, and back to KACK was no problem for the battery.  Most of the way is flat so they pedal assist helps with battery range.  They say 30+ but real world is about 20-25 max.  Still more than enough for the small island of Nantucket.  We fit 1 bike in the baggage compartment, fits through door perfectly.  The other in the back seat with enough room for another adult to spare.  On our second trip we bought quick release rear racks for having a place to carry lite jacket and shopping bags for example.  Entire process out of plane and ready to go was 10 min.  Very quick and easy.  Highly recommend the Jupiter discovery x5 for c172 travel.  Only adds 88 lbs for both bikes.  So really don’t have to worry for weight and balance concerns.  Also, I weigh 245lbs and the bike is comfortable and powerful enough to handle me.  My wife is only 105 and her battery level was the same as mine at the end of the day.  
Hope this review help someone looking for an e-bike solution in a C172.

After about 9 months of One Wheel ownership, the injuries incurred while learning to ride it have all healed. My longest cross country was about 25 miles. It takes more physical effort than most realize to ride it, even though the effort gets less as time goes on. After a long cross country, my calf’s are a little sore.

The big advantage is it fits in any airplane. I mostly use it to go from my hangar to get planes on the ramp to work on. I ride it out to the plane, throw it into the back seat or luggage compartment and taxi the plane back. When I’m done, I taxi the plane Back, tie it down and ride the One Wheel back to the hangar. The furthest tie downs are almost a mile away. 

The biggest downside is it’s weight. It is much heavier than I imagined. I haven’t charged it in a month or so and it ran out of gas last Thursday coming back from the ramp. I had to carry it about 300 yards, it is heavy and awkward. I almost left it on the ramp and drove the truck back to get it.

One downside to it, when using it to get around town, is what do you do with it when you get somewhere?  It is to expensive and easy to make off with to leave it sitting outside a restaurant or store. There is a side carrying handle that you could lock it with a chain or cable lock, but there is no place to store the lock so you need to wear a backpack or put it in your pocket. 

• Like 1

We have a pair of bike friday "tikit" folders that are really superb for the mix of fast fold, small fold so easy to fit in the back through the baggage door, light weight, and good ride.  I think it is the ideal fast folder for flying.

Its almost humorous and for real how fast and easy they fold.

I also have a pair of xooter 

https://xootr.com/products/xootr-kick-scooter-mg?gclid=Cj0KCQiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrFaJ3tntHaYzSENJEizvt7bKoz4kVwRxvKvboGn0BKdfCP4AF1nYUIaAgw4EALw_wcB

And (ok Im a bike geek)

I have a Montague folder that folds ok, but it rides fantastic for mountain bike riding.

And if all else fails and I want my a+ bike because I am going for real road riding, I can fit my road racer in the back without too much pain.  Hint, pedals off, seat post off, wheels off.  Put it in a bag.

All bikes in a bbq cover to keep the airplane clean.

• 1 month later...

The bomb of all the bombs is the folding electric commercial scooter.

Old Segway es1-es4 work fine and are easily had - the trick is finding a folding one.

Even better are the older Xiaomi m365’s.

You can stuff the newer bird or mine or scooter ms but they’re heavier and more awkward.

Range on some with extra battery is over 10-14 miles. Speed is about 15 -20mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/20/2022 at 6:51 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

After about 9 months of One Wheel ownership, the injuries incurred while learning to ride it have all healed. My longest cross country was about 25 miles. It takes more physical effort than most realize to ride it, even though the effort gets less as time goes on. After a long cross country, my calf’s are a little sore.

The big advantage is it fits in any airplane. I mostly use it to go from my hangar to get planes on the ramp to work on. I ride it out to the plane, throw it into the back seat or luggage compartment and taxi the plane back. When I’m done, I taxi the plane Back, tie it down and ride the One Wheel back to the hangar. The furthest tie downs are almost a mile away. 

The biggest downside is it’s weight. It is much heavier than I imagined. I haven’t charged it in a month or so and it ran out of gas last Thursday coming back from the ramp. I had to carry it about 300 yards, it is heavy and awkward. I almost left it on the ramp and drove the truck back to get it.

One downside to it, when using it to get around town, is what do you do with it when you get somewhere?  It is to expensive and easy to make off with to leave it sitting outside a restaurant or store. There is a side carrying handle that you could lock it with a chain or cable lock, but there is no place to store the lock so you need to wear a backpack or put it in your pocket. 

I have 2 one wheels and they have their uses. As long as you don’t push the speed or catch the leading edge again by speeding I. E. Faster than 20 mph it’s fine. The elevation mode helps with the front edge catching especially when going uphill. Running out of battery is the biggest issue as they are a pain to carry. A big reason I would like the X5 bike since the range is more and a flat battery you can still pedal the bike to a charging place and not have to carry it. Also more stable at speed and no worry about catching an edge. More comfortable on long distances too. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2022 at 3:02 AM, FredG said:

Not a folder, but for those who were wondering, a full bike can go in by dropping one backseat. And this is a bike for a 6’2.

6B4EE17D-28C8-4604-84FA-60569DFF28A4.thumb.jpeg.855820cef7baa7b3dadce0e7a0649773.jpegDEF10415-F135-4C45-8AA5-0E988B690B9F.thumb.jpeg.459a81832dce79dc3f5a9f658180acc4.jpeg

Which door did you use to get the bike into the airplane, baggage or passenger?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kelpro999 said:

Q: Does old and bold exist?

A:IMG_1906.png.d91fd48b0d06988b9a225b6ec395aa5a.png

My one wheel is currently dead. It is dead because of a recall that I was never informed of. The company refuses to fix the problem they caused. I cannot recommend doing business with Future Motion. They are not an honest company.

52 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

My one wheel is currently dead. It is dead because of a recall that I was never informed of. The company refuses to fix the problem they caused. I cannot recommend doing business with Future Motion. They are not an honest company.

So I’m guessing they bricked your software and offered you $100 towards a new machine? The feds came down on them and likely made them a deal they could not refuse.

55 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

So I’m guessing they bricked your software and offered you $100 towards a new machine? The feds came down on them and likely made them a deal they could not refuse.

Close, but not quite.

11 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Close, but not quite.

On top of that, if you watch the breakdown videos of onewheels, their products are put together without much care and their hardware is pretty crap. I thought about getting an older one to carry in the plane but decided against it. We went with folding e-bikes instead, specifically Discovery X5's. 

You lose a ton of space but they're fun, and I'm less likely to fall on my ass. Worst thing that happens if the battery dies is I have a single speed bike.