Do any of you carry a folding bicycle or e-bike in the back seat?

I am happy to report that I just completed a two day camping trip to Death Valley with our 1970 M20E. One folding Brompton bike fit well in the baggage compartment, one full size (lightweight) electric bike fit in the hat rack/over the baggage compartment/folded down rear seats (wheels taken off). Camping gear (4 person tent, 2 sleeping bags and mats) and clothes for two days fit in as well, two large passengers comfortable in the front seats. Here she is at L06, you can see the wheel of a bike behind it if you squint.

IMG_2035.jpeg

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in removing the back seat in your short body to accommodate bike hauling “Man and a Mooney” has a great how-to video on YouTube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 12:15 AM, Yannis said:

I can fit two Bromptons at the back. Is the best folding bike you can get and it retains its value best compared to all others models on market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my range extending new device and I confirm it fits through the baggage door un changed!

D034457F-7816-429D-801A-E6207562EC3F_1_105_c.jpeg

5ED3FDD0-A0A9-4354-9405-31AFF75C6C01_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:07 PM, AndreiC said:

I am happy to report that I just completed a two day camping trip to Death Valley with our 1970 M20E. One folding Brompton bike fit well in the baggage compartment, one full size (lightweight) electric bike fit in the hat rack/over the baggage compartment/folded down rear seats (wheels taken off). Camping gear (4 person tent, 2 sleeping bags and mats) and clothes for two days fit in as well, two large passengers comfortable in the front seats. Here she is at L06, you can see the wheel of a bike behind it if you squint.

IMG_2035.jpeg

@AndreiC So how's the Furnace Creek runway?  It was closed last month for over a week and was hoping it was for surface reconditioning to improve the terrible bumps and pavement upheavals.  I telephoned the Park for info but nobody returned the call.  Looking to fly out there again this spring.  Maybe a West Coast Mooney get-together?

41 minutes ago, Skyland said:

@AndreiC So how's the Furnace Creek runway?  It was closed last month for over a week and was hoping it was for surface reconditioning to improve the terrible bumps and pavement upheavals.  I telephoned the Park for info but nobody returned the call.  Looking to fly out there again this spring.  Maybe a West Coast Mooney get-together?

I did talk to a ranger before going in, they returned my call after I left a message. They had the airport closed for a week to sweep some of the gravel from the runway, but they did not do anything about the cracks or bumps. I heard from someone else that they are considering closing the airport permanently, it is too much of a headache for the park service and it gets them nothing in return (??).

My experience was so-so. Neither landing nor taking off seemed to be a problem with soft field technique (I don't think the bumps were big enough to do any damage to the landing gear, I taxied very slowly on the left side of runway 15, which is where I also landed, iirc). The runway is definitely much worse than that at L09, Stovepipe Wells, where I had gone in January. This might be something to consider if you have some transportation while there or don't care how far you go from the airport. We wanted to see Badwater Basin by bike, and that was too far from L09, that's why the second time we went to L06.

However, after both flights to Death Valley (L09 and L06) I found nicks in the prop, I guess from gravel picked up from the runway. Even after the sweep there was still plenty of it at L06. Nothing major -- my mechanic was able to file the nicks in about 20 minutes, but something to keep in mind. I did not do a run up before takeoff, did not want to increase damage to prop.

If you do go there make sure to bring ropes with you -- there are steel cables but nothing attached to them (both at L06 and L09). Maybe also bring some chocks -- where I parked at L06 the cable for tying down the tail was missing, so I was only able to tie down the wings. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the Pirep on the Death Valley airports.  Seems the conditions haven't improved since I landed at Stove Pipe two years ago and drove to Furnace Creek and walked that runway a while back as well.  The Park Service used to have a Cessna based at Furnace Creek years ago for patrolling the Park.  Seems they're no longer interested in keeping up the airport.  Too bad, both locations are well suited for fly in business.  The hundreds of miles of paved roads in DV are generally in excellent condition, and they get repaired quickly after flood damage.  Can't see why a mile of runway pavement is so difficult.  There must be $$ available somewhere for some maintenance rather than just closing them.  It's a huge Park, the size of Connecticut.  The airports were there long before becoming a NP.  Emergency usage comes to mind as well.  Thanks again for the report.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:56 AM, FredG said:

I confirm it fits through the baggage door un changed.

Do you (or anyone else) know if the baggage door of the J-model is larger than that on the E? I was not able to fit the Brompton through the baggage door, I had to put it in through the main door. Or is yours perhaps a smaller one than mine? Mine is an H model, 6 speed.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:01 AM, AndreiC said:

Do you (or anyone else) know if the baggage door of the J-model is larger than that on the E? I was not able to fit the Brompton through the baggage door, I had to put it in through the main door. Or is yours perhaps a smaller one than mine? Mine is an H model, 6 speed.

I put 2 standard Bromptons (3 speeds) with P-type bars. into the hatch of the J, which I think is the same size and shape on all models.  The prop rod is different between years, but I do not think it was in the way.  The bike's seat post had to be all the way down, and there was some key angles to hold as you put the bike in, more from the top than from the side (if that makes sense).