Do any of you carry a folding bicycle or e-bike in the back seat?

We have a few threads that cover this topic...

Lots of folding bike people on MS...

A couple of electric skate boards and scooters as well...

And now electric bikes....

This may help you get started...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Folding bike&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Also find Eric... he likes bikes.... has a garage full of them... one specifically designed for every environment... :)

Also look how best to cover, or disassemble the bike of your choice...

Will you need to fit two in the back, or just one?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I’m researching folding bikes for the wife and I that will fit into the rear seat of our short body... any recommendations?

I have a couple of Allen bikes for the wife and I. They are pricey but fold up quickly and have storage bags to keep the grease off of the seats. If you are used to riding full size road bikes like my wife and I, you will need to mentally adjust to ride, what my wife and I refer to as “clown bikes”. The small size and wheel base does look funny for a guy my size to be riding. But they are comfortable and surprising fast for what they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I asked a friend to provide a report on the bikes he's used (and new ones he recently purchased). Here is his PIREP:

We use the Dahon Mariner D8 bikes (There are other variations of the D8). They were purchased and set up by Performance Bicycle in Columbus, OH. The shifting is precise using finger levers and the brakes are great. The folding is ingenuous. They are clearly superior to the D7. We separately purchased carrying bags for them. Both are carried in the back seat of our C172. A rope is used around the seat and the bikes to ensure they stay in place during flight.

We have used previous models of the Dahon Mariner, the D7.  One had lever shifting while the other had twist grip shifting. They are fractionally smaller when folded, allowing one to pass through the C172 baggage door. The later D8 model is a tiny bit larger such that they can not be placed in the baggage area. Assembly of the D7 pedals can require a wrench while the D8 includes a simple, but ingenious folding arrangement.

https://usa.dahon.com/bikes/mariner-d8-brushed/

https://www.performancebike.com/

Edited by FlyChickie
Formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I purchased two Critical folders based on a recommendation here on Mooneyspace.  They are not the lightest or feature rich but the cost reflected their usefulness.  We use them for the last mile and rolling around town when we travel.  They could both fit in the back seat but for our general use one goes in the luggage area and one in the back seat of the F.

• Like 1

One of the tricks I learned on Mooneyspace was to get a bbQ pit cover to put them in to protect the interior of your plane.   If anyone in Texas is looking for folding bikes I have two for sale.   a 3 speed and single speed.  I can get some pictures.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

Thanks guys....! Shoulda done a search ;)

I'm surprised that compass interference was not a concern for most all of the posters- I was going to be looking at only aluminum frame bikes... perhaps it is not a real problem?

Probably no more than the steel cage of the airframe.  ;)

• Like 2

I've been eyeing this baby.

https://www.helix.ca

Looks like the trifecta - 1) quick fold, 2) folds small, 3) rides well.

Usually you can only get two of those 3.

These Montague bikes are a good solid top marks for 2 and 3 - folds small and rides well as it unfolds to a full size bike.  As for 1 it gets moderate marks - if I take both wheels off (and put those into a wheel bag), then the back end folds around and it fits into the baggage bay through the baggage door.  Which is nice.  We have two of these and we easily carry two - and they are robust mountain bikes suitable for riding off road.  And of course on road is fine too.

https://www.montaguebikes.com

Or I can carry my full sized road bike with both wheels off, seatpost off, pedals off, through the front door to the back seat area (with a seat removed).  No big deal.

But a helix bike would be ideal for a quick turn as it folds in seconds to a small size with both wheels still on - small enough to fit through the bag door and rides fine so it seems.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

http://citizenbike.com

I got the “Tokyo”. It’s good for last mile. I have taken it on trips where it was my only transport for 10 days and it’s great for up to about 10 miles for me. You could obviously go further but it’s not a full size bike. (I didn’t get the electric boost option - saving weight - but with that I would think it would be comfortable to ride 20+ miles no problem). Get the travel bag and you’re set to load it in the plane. It fits through the baggage door of an ovation. It’s fairly inexpensive so mine just lives in the hangar.

I found it to be a very nice quality set up for the price. (And I’m a bike guy who has tricked out racing bikes in the garage.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There is an interesting spread of weights and prices...

A 30Lb bike is in the hundreds of dollars...

A 20Lb bike is an AMU more...

The marketing for the light weight was more about picking the bike up often....

Just a brief sample of some quick reading I did...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I also have Citizen Tokyo:

http://citizenbike.com

I't's inexpensive and ride is good if you are not too tall (I'm 6'4") but is it Steel and somewhat heavy. It fits through Mooney baggage door and I used it this past summer when I commuted to Work by plane over the Cascades.

Edited by Igor_U

I have used a few models of folding bikes, and my wife and I really enjoy bringing them places with us.  There are some great pluses, and I strongly encourage you to try it

1. being independent for your ground transportation (multi-modal)
  2. exercise
  3. exploring new places on a bike is a better experience than driving past
  4. Get from North 40 camping to one of the main gates at Osh very quickly (note that bikes are not allowed in the event area itself)

My best luck has been with the Bromptons, which are a premium price.  There are knock-offs of the same general design, as well.  The ability to fit through the hatch is a big plus, instead of leaving them in the back seat area. Getting through the hatch depends a lot on wheel size.  The Bromptons are the only small-wheel folder I have ridden that rides properly.  I have done up to 25 miles without feeling compromised, other than for top speeds.  Very draggy riding position.  I often carry my pilot bag on the luggage carrier and an overnight bag on the front luggage mount, and move along nicely for flats, uphills, and free for all downhills.

I prefer hub geared bikes over derailleur types.  With all of the folding and handling, it is easy to knock the shifters out of whack or even break a derailleur.  The hub geared bikes are effectively immune to this.  If you are motivated, you can convert a single speed to a multi-speed automatic shifting hub from SRAM or others.  

Someone mentioned BBQ covers for the bikes.  There are also durable bags from Ikea that fit well, and do not cost much.  The Bromptons fit in the DIMPA bags. $5 each.  Very strong bags for anything you may want to carry.  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dimpa-storage-bag-clear-10056770/

If you are not sure about investing in an expensive folder, there are many old Dahon's on craigslist, typically around $100.  They ride like crap, but will let you prove the concept.  The original ones with the angled bar from seat to handlebars has small wheels and fits through the hatch.  This link will die soon if they sell the bike, but this is an example: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/d/vintage-dahon-stow-away-blue-folding/7018190292.html 

• Like 1

I bought a Zizzo Urbano new but on sale - 24lbs.   It fits into an old dufflebag type rolling suitcase and then neatly in the luggage of my Eagle.  On same trip could also fit my 2 kids' 16 inch wheel bikes along with our luggage for the trip - well within w&b limits.  Planning to eventually switch the rear wheel on the zizzo to an electric assist version to help get me to town when landing at remote airports.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, carusoam said:

There is an interesting spread of weights and prices...

A 30Lb bike is in the hundreds of dollars...

A 20Lb bike is an AMU more...

The marketing for the light weight was more about picking the bike up often....

Just a brief sample of some quick reading I did...

Best regards,

-a-

Having ridden competitively for a few years, there is a world of difference between a $200 and a $1500 bike.  Weight is a factor, but the drive train is another.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisk said:

Having ridden competitively for a few years, there is a world of difference between a $200 and a $1500 bike.  Weight is a factor, but the drive train is another.

And as some here might be surprised these day’s a top road bike with fab wheels etc can push $10,000.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:25 PM, aviatoreb said:

And as some here might be surprised these day’s a top road bike with fab wheels etc can push $10,000.

It was $1500.00 for the insurance company to replace my front wheel, brakes (went disc brakes)  New fork,  Did not want to ride a carbon fiber fork after taking a hit.  Ti Frame was good to go.