KI 300 converson confidence

flysamo

starting  to plan upgrades the ovation starting with Garmin 750 to replace garmin 480/mx200, during the process looking to change out HSI to solid state. KI300/310 seemed perfect, the problem is confidence in the product by major avionics installers. Would prefer Garmin g5 units but interface problems prevent install. This is a example as to why B-King is loseing business

4 minutes ago, flysamo said:

starting  to plan upgrades the ovation starting with Garmin 750 to replace garmin 480/mx200, during the process looking to change out HSI to solid state. KI300/310 seemed perfect, the problem is confidence in the product by major avionics installers. Would prefer Garmin g5 units but interface problems prevent install. This is a example as to why B-King is loseing business

The KI300 replaces your attitude indicator (KI256), not your HSI (KI525A). The G5 will replace your HSI, however by the time you do both you are close to the price of an Aspen, which replaces both. Or you're 1/3 of the way toward a Dynon HDX or Garmin G3X. Lots of options out there . . .

What Lance said, i think they have overpriced the unit by several thousand dollars.  Maybe they are trying to make up for the lack of volume by charging more?(sarcasm font)  not to mention the absolute ridiculousness of taking 5 years to bring to market.  

The challenge...

Who wants to be first?

The other challenge...

The interface Box for the AP wasn’t shipping yet... check on availability...

We have the BK guy around here  @  PearceBK If you want to ask him detailed questions...

My BK digital Steam gauges are going to live off the bits and pieces discarded by other MSers until I move up to some fancier glass bits...

Once going GTN... you are going down a road that may make sense to add additional devices from big G...

PP thoughts only, not an instruments guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have had a Sandia Quattro as a backup in my plane for several years.  Actually I have had 5 so far.  Some units have been good some failed right out of the box.  I upgraded to the 340 which is a KI 300 without the flight director.  Right after I installed it I headed to PHX for some golf.  The first bump I hit  down in the San Luis Valley caused the artificial horizon to fail.  It slowly reerected  but after a few more bumps it upset again.  I was disappointed but not killed because I still have the KI 256 as primary and I was VFR.  Going home I stopped by ABQ and Dennis brought a loaner out to the airport.  I got another one a month or so later which has worked for 8 or 9 months.  The point of failure is turbulence and if you are using this as a primary instrument you had better be good at partial panel.  I was flying today and the 340 spent a lot of time indicating a 3 degree roll when wings were level.  If it were driving the autopilot I wonder what the AP would do.  You can adjust the roll which I have done when the airplane was on jacks and level.  Bendix King had better get this problem cleaned up before the lawsuits start flying.

• Like 1

@flysamo, see the pirep from FM above...

There are a few that are similar, including pics... around here...

The BK unit is the Sandia with a new label on the front...

PP thoughts only, something isn’t right about the units that have been reported around here, not ready for IMC...

Best regards,

-a-

MB65E,

My software as far as I know is current.  Sandia will not say but it has been surmised that the problem could be board components or insufficient calibration of the accelerometers.  I have no idea but the units I have had that work seem to take more time after startup to self test.  Sandia needs to get to the root of the problem fix it and make an announcement about it.  King needs to push for such a solution or their sales will languish.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@base698

There are a few pics around here showing the Sandia/BK units not displaying properly...

We have a BK resource here.  Aka PearceBK 

It would be nice if the challenge was recognized/explained....

There aren’t many units in the field....

Aspens on the other hand, MSers have plenty of experience to share...

There are some known Aspen failures, but a tiny number compared to units in the field...

Sooooo.....

the comment is meant to be aware of the history of those units to make sure you are up to speed with info available around MS...

It might not be anything, or it may be a problem... either way... do your own research to know what is best for you...

PP thoughts only, stuff I read around MS... I have an old BK AI in my plane that works pretty well for the last 25 years...

I’m not trying to spread rumors about things I don’t have first hand knowledge... I did send a message to PearceBK...

Best regards,

-a-