Garmin GNS-480 Repair

FlyWalt

Much to my chagrin, the comm section of our GNS-480 has decided to stop working. And even more irritating, is that it decided to do this just a few months after Garmin turns off all support on this model. Does anyone know of an avionics shop that has certification to work on these boxes? Id hate to give up a perfectly good WAAS GPS unit just because the comm died. This unit is in perfect condition in every other way. Both cosmetically and operationally.

Thank you in Advance,
Walt

19 minutes ago, FlyWalt said:

Much to my chagrin, the comm section of our GNS-480 has decided to stop working. And even more irritating, is that it decided to do this just a few months after Garmin turns off all support on this model. Does anyone know of an avionics shop that has certification to work on these boxes? Id hate to give up a perfectly good WAAS GPS unit just because the comm died. This unit is in perfect condition in every other way. Both cosmetically and operationally.

Thank you in Advance,
Walt

I wonder if Apollo ever released repair documentation before Gamin bought their line? We know Garmin does not since all their products are engineered as LRU's - Line replaceable units. Without documentation, its not legal for anyone to work on them; especially for a repair station. Although you may not care that any repair wouldn't be documented, most repair station wouldn't want to take the risk.

If you are a big fan of these, as many are, your other option is to replace it with another used working unit. Here is one source: https://www.bennettavionics.com/apollo-cnx-80-garmin-gns-480-waas-ifr-gps-nav-comm-mfd-moving-map-glideslope/ But I am surprised how much used ones cost - so financially it's probably a smarter move investing in a new modern GPS radio like a GTN. But since Bennett sells them used, perhaps they have some capability to repair them too - worth a call.

Update:

I am pleased to say that I have been referred to a shop in the Atlanta area that has spare parts for this box and is willing to try a legal repair. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

As for our avionics plan going forward, I do not think Garmin is going to be considered for any future purchases. This issue combined with the forced WAAS upgrade policy on 28V GNS-430's has me crossing them off the list. Shame on you Garmin. No G5 EFIS or GTX345 order for you!!!

On 12/17/2019 at 4:08 AM, ArtVandelay said:

The 480 is older than dirt (in high tech world), some parts aren’t even made anymore (screen), so I can’t really blame big G.
My voltage regulator (15 years old) stop working properly on my boat, I call manufacturer for assistance, was told we no longer support it.

Tom

But the Garmin 430/530 series is several years older than the 480, making them older than old dirt?

On 12/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, FlyWalt said:

Thank you in Advance,
Walt

Have you checked the power and grounds going into the comm section? It is separate from the GPS/NAV power.

But the Garmin 430/530 series is several years older than the 480, making them older than old dirt?

True, same goes for them, only difference is they had a tradein promotion if you upgraded to GTNs, I’m speculating here, but I think they stuck them in warehouse to be used as parts for the foreseeable future.

Tom

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

True, same goes for them, only difference is they had a tradein promotion if you upgraded to GTNs, I’m speculating here, but I think they stuck them in warehouse to be used as parts for the foreseeable future.

Tom

I bet I can get trade in value for an IFD Series from Avidyne.  Should I run it past them?  Anyone interested? I was talking to them until about 830 last night about things like this.  

20 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Tom

There is actually the same Garmin trade-in for the 480. I believe the value is the on par with the one offered for the 430.

You’re saying Garmin is selling old GPS boxes?

Tom

They were referring to Avidyne’s trade in program.
I recall Garmin's that you referred to above. I doubt they got too many takers, since they were only offering 30-40% of their street/ebay price. Many avionics installers were giving twice what Garmin was!
Avidyne was much more generous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I found a shop that is attempting a legal repair. Fingers crossed.

If that doesn't work then I will be pulling it and putting in an IFD440 and vowing to NEVER BUY GARMIN AGAIN. They could, very easily, help us out by a more generous trade in program. Or raise their repair rates to justify keeping spare parts available. 

I have a LONG history in the CB/Ham radio world followed by 14 years as President of an IT/ISP/Webhosting company. There is no reason, other than pure greed,  in the world that a huge company like Garmin should ever completely abandon clients who have significant investments into their success.

37 minutes ago, FlyWalt said:

If that doesn't work then I will be pulling it and putting in an IFD440 and vowing to NEVER BUY GARMIN AGAIN. They could, very easily, help us out by a more generous trade in program. Or raise their repair rates to justify keeping spare parts available. 

I have a LONG history in the CB/Ham radio world followed by 14 years as President of an IT/ISP/Webhosting company. There is no reason, other than pure greed,  in the world that a huge company like Garmin should ever completely abandon clients who have significant investments into their success.

I read that some of their components are 3rd party parts, and therefore, it may be out of Garmin's hands whether or not they can continue supporting a device. But, yeah, I agree there should be something more they could do.  Being on the same side of things as you with my 430, I empathize.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:37 AM, FlyWalt said:

Is it an investment or a depreciating asset with a useful life?

• Like 1

Sorry you're so upset about it. But no company is going to support a product forever. And greed has nothing to do with it. And frankly, the clients who are actually contributing to Garmin's success are the clients who regularly upgrade and buy the latest and greatest offering. It's definitely not customers who continue to use the old stuff long after many new products have been release.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I'm looking for the contact info on the shop in Atlanta that was doing the repairs on your 480. My display has gone out and I'm trying to get it repaired.  email me @ N6824Q@gmail.com 

Let me know how it worked out. 

Thanks Jim   

Anyone know where I can get a 6AX7 tube for my Philco TV? I'm kind of amazed that it's possible keep these old avionics running as long as they do. My KAP 150 autopilot was designed about the same time as an Apple II back when 300 baud modems were hot stuff. The problem is, of course, upgrading is so expensive. I could have a really sweet panel for a $50K investment. But that's a third the value of the airplane. Makes me think hard about swapping out the whole airplane for something more modern. Maybe plastic with a parachute.

• Like 1

check pacific coast avionics traded a good cnx 480 in on a Garmin gtn 750 xi system, really a superior unit, traded and converted because support was non existent and the unit was bases on ups teck, not garmin teck and they took the ideal and ran with it to build what they have today 

• 10 months later...