Advice on purchase of M20C

ROZ

18 hours ago, ROZ said:

I've been exploring a few options; having something I could jump in and fly around Virginia, perhaps the occasional trip down to Jacksonville, FL seems to be all I'm really looking for at the moment. So I'm planning on around 100 hours a year. In addition to that, my brother has expressed an interest in learning to fly. I thought about finding a 152/172 that I could teach him in (I'm also a CFI). Based on all that I was looking at a C172, but when I learned that the M20 has the same engine I was intrigued. Seems your per mile costs is much lower and while not really a trainer, I could still instruct in it from time to time. 

Just a note on using an older C model as a trainer.  Someone on this list can chime in here and it may not be an issue but the older planes did not have co-pilot brakes.  My 63 C model does not.  So just a thought if you are going to use it to train someone to fly, you may be putting all the braking ability in the hands of the student in the left seat.  Some have been retrofitted with co-pilot brakes.  I am not sure what year co-pilot brakes became standard.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

Yes, mine has the co-pilot brakes...I thought the "D" was created for the flight school market and so they all had them. Wrong I am.

I believe that was the intent of the D.

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Yes indeedie!! :D.  My adorable mini-Mooney has pilot and co pilot brakes :P

Maybe mine is the odd one...

Hello Roz, I just listed my 1966 M20C on Trade a plane. N9281M

its an absolutely wonderful cross country airplane. I’ve upgraded the avionics and it is a gem.

I’ve owned this Mooney since 2006, and also from 1986 to 1991.

i bought an M20K in 2010 so you can see I’m a Mooney guy.

contact me if your interested in my bird. Good luck with your search

The C model is a wonderful airplane for the $.

sincerely, mark Furfari

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark F said:

its an absolutely wonderful cross country airplane. I’ve upgraded the avionics and it is a gem.

sincerely, mark Furfari

Have you listed your C model here on Mooneyspace ? :D

22 hours ago, markgrue said:

The D models have co pilot brakes.  They were designed as trainers with fixed gear and fixed pitch props.

Mark

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

My D does not have copilot brakes

This was just covered in another thread. A couple of guys have them in their D's, like Alex, mine does not.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:04 AM, Greg Ellis said:

Just a note on using an older C model as a trainer.  Someone on this list can chime in here and it may not be an issue but the older planes did not have co-pilot brakes.  My 63 C model does not.  So just a thought if you are going to use it to train someone to fly, you may be putting all the braking ability in the hands of the student in the left seat.  Some have been retrofitted with co-pilot brakes.  I am not sure what year co-pilot brakes became standard.  Just a thought.

I'm going to keep that in mind. Prob will make that after-market adjustment then. 

22 hours ago, Mark F said:

sincerely, mark Furfari

Thanks Mark, I'll take a look!

ROZ

On 12/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, Rusty Pilot said:

I fly a 1974 C out of KEZF Fredericksburg, VA.  Electric gear and flaps.  You are welcome to visit my plane and hangar

Are you the white with red one?  I'm the end unit hangar 42 (or something close to that) right when you enter the gate.  I briefly saw owner+wife+plane only the once and didn't get a chance to introduce myself.    

On 12/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, MooneyMitch said:

MS cost for advertising cannot be beat! :) and there are potential buyers lurking about !! :ph34r:

And free bonuses offered by the site include the pointed critiques of weaknesses of the aircraft and the asking price from people not looking to buy :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, ROZ said:

I have a cousin who lives in Atlanta, holiday season is a bit busier with work and family but I might take you up on that when things get a little quieter. 

Did you find that searches on the Mooney club website or through other forums helped to find the plane? I've been reading a few people suggest to purchase from within the "communities"? 

I just realized I didn't respond to your question.  I found my airplane on Barnstormers and  I had a deposit on it within 4 hours of it being posted.  That is how fast the good examples sell.  Mine was an exceptional example that was priced to sell.  I feel like I got very lucky but I also watched Barnstormers, Trade-A-Plane, and Controller like a hawk (checked several times a day for months...).  You should also keep check on the classified section here on MS.  I get emails from Van Bortel and some other dealers still but they're overprice and seem to be under equipped.  I'm sure they have a few decent examples but if someone has a great airplane, they won't need to use a dealer (unless they just don't want the hassle).    

Edited by Huitt3106
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...