GDL-82 with internal GPS has lost its factory settings

RLCarter

Several months back I elected to install a Garmin GDL-82 to be 2020 compliant, its been working fine until this past saturday. We have the optional "Fail" light installed and and it is normal for it to come on then go off once I taxi away from the hangar, but this time it stayed on. After fueling and everything back online the "Fail" light was still showing a fault so today I took my laptop out to see what the "Fault" was. I pulled the plane out to a clear area so the hangars wouldn't block the GPS signal and ran the setup software to see what was up, this time the "Fail" light came on then went off, so far so good. Looking at the install software it was still showing 2 faults "Position (GPS) Input Fault: ""Active''''' and "Factory Calibration Fault: ""Active"""....Looking at the "Configuration" Page everything thing looked good until I got to the GPS Source which is a drop down menu and mine had "GNS Series" selected, There is NO GNS installed or any other Garmin products except for the GDL-82, when I tried to change the source the "Internal" selection was "grayed" out and can NOT be selected. After a 30 minute wait for Garmin support I was told because I'm not an A&P, Avionics Shop or Experimental there wasn't much they could have me try. I think the internal GPS in the GDL-82 has given up the ghost, but thought I would run this buy the group before taking the box out and sending it back to Garmin. With the holidays and 2020 right around the corner there is no way of getting into an avionics shop so I'm kinda stuck using an A&P which doesn't play well with computers and/or software

Unfortunately trying to configure a u it without being there it a bit difficult. I work for a avionics shop and sometimes we use teamviewer to remotely configure equipment when we send guys on the road and they get stuck on something.. I could probably try to help you that way.. Unless you live close to central Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, siu1526 said:

Unfortunately trying to configure a u it without being there it a bit difficult. I work for a avionics shop and sometimes we use teamviewer to remotely configure equipment when we send guys on the road and they get stuck on something.. I could probably try to help you that way.. Unless you live close to central Florida.

Thanks but no way to remote into the computer....I've configured 3 GDL's for the A&P who doesnt like computers with no issues. I think the software cant see the internal GPS unit and assumes I'm using a GNS for position..the odd thing is Fail light was steady "ON" saturday and today it comes on and goes off even though there are (2) faults..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DMM said:

Sorry you are having issues.  Have you tried selecting the "reset configuration" and starting over.

Yes, several times..no change, still has the GPS source from GNS Series as the default with "internal grayed out so it cant be selected

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

See how good the antenna connection is...

I've checked the connection at the box, at the antenna requires the headliner to be pulled, which is a major pain. Not sure if I can OHM out the coax going to the GPS antenna or not, no idea what it should read unless it shows "open"....

Borrow another good antenna... :)

make sure you are out in the clear... (outside the hangar)

Don’t have any Narco or other ancient analog radios running...

My Narco radios on certain nav frequencies interrupted my new G portable GPS, back in the day...

Old radios bleed like crazy... they never intended to be used in conjunction with other sensitive devices...

Some cell phone chargers throw some noise into the system as well...

is there a way to display satellites being received on the unit?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... just guessing.

Best regards,

-a-

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Borrow an antenna... :)

make sure you are out in the clear...

Don’t have any Narco or other ancient analog radios running...

My Narco radios on certain frequencies interrupted my new G portable GPS, back in the day...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

-a-

Had to install a Notch filter on my Narco, passed all the known freqs on the ground test but would fail when I contacted approach to go into Charlie for my rebate... I have 2 planes with GDL's in them, so I can swap stuff around if need be...just not looking forward to removing the headliner(s)....:unsure:

• Like 1