Spinner back plate

Is this the bulkhead that connects the spinner to the prop? I assume it’s a McCauley if it’s an m20j. I have a Hartzell on my F with the LoPresti cowl, so it’s an M20j spinner for a Hartzell prop (some early Js had Q-tip Hartzell props). 

Here are my experiences and understanding from my Hartzell prop. If you have the bulkhead that attaches to the flywheel, it should have a doubler for every two bolts. If the spinner is not very tight against the hub, it will crack the bulkhead. There are harmonics between the prop and the engine and think of that bulkhead/backplate like a rubber bellow that flexes constantly. If the spinner isn’t tight, it’ll flex more and tear. After mine failed, I first replaced it with a welded and yellow tagged one from a repair station for $600. It failed within 10 hours. I then found a used spinner assembly for $400-$500 and had that installed. It failed in 100-200 hours. I finally bit the bullet and bought a spinner and backplate that attached to the hub from Hartzell, not Mooney, for around $2000 and it hasn’t given any trouble. However, cooling is not as good as I suspect the bulkhead that connected to the flywheel limited airflow from exiting through the front of the cowling, which likely reduced cooling drag, improved cooling and performance. I believe that the Mooney spinner design was one of the minimally incremental things that aided Mooney performance, but with a cost.  

• 2 weeks later...