PIREP - SWTA or why you need a relationship with a good shop

gsxrpilot

As you all know, we moved to Denver in the summer and so I'm no longer based on the same field with SWTA. I should probably find a shop to use in the Denver area, but sometimes it pays to go home.

I've been having some electrical issues. My #2 alternator has always been noisy. I had a short under the panel with some wires going to the enunciator panel. And the #1 alternator has been acting up and dropping off line lately. Troubleshooting electrical issues can eat up a lot of shop time ($$$$) without any guarantee of success. And while there's no sure way to eliminate it, having a shop that knows the specific airplane do the work, certainly reduces some of the time involved.

So I decided to take the plane back to SWTA as they've been looking after this Mooney as long as I've owned it. JD and I talked on the phone several times in advance of the visit and decided to replace the #2 alternator. So we got that ordered ahead of time and it was on the shelf ready to go when I arrived.

I pulled up to the shop in 252AD on Friday mid afternoon. Chad immediately pulled the cowl and started looking around. The work started in earnest on Saturday morning. Chad swapped out the #2 alternator and washed and tightened up everything on the #1 alternator. He pulled the glare shield and replaced/soldered the wires that had shorted out. 

In addition to that work, I also got an oil change, the O2 bottle topped off, and a little work on the #1 EGT probe. It had dropped out a couple of times on the display and so a little scotchbrite on the header and the clamp to ensure a good ground and it's all fixed.

By 3pm Saturday afternoon I was up test flying to make sure everything was good to go. Everything checked out good. But that's not all...

Sunday morning I took my daughter and one of her friends up for a ride. After landing and while fueling the plane, JD noticed that one of my static wicks were loose. His sheet metal guy was in the hangar cutting out corrosion and fixing up a C182. JD got him to drill out and replace the rivets holding on the static wick. A simple thing, but fixed right and good as from the factory.

All done and we departed for home about 3pm on Sunday afternoon. Other than a hellacious head wind, the flight home was excellent and the Mooney is running like a top. She always runs so good after Chad and JD have given her some love.

I guarantee it was cheaper for me to fly the plane to Texas, and get the repairs done, then to have had a local shop do the work. I know the work was done right. It was quick. It was on the weekend. I should also mention JD and Chad also shuttling me back and forth from the house. The service just doesn't get any better.

There is no substitute for building a relationship with a shop that does good work. They know my airplane inside and out. That greatly reduces shop time even just removing the top and lower cowl. It improves service as they know when something doesn't look right is missing or out of place. They know what was starting to wear and should be looked at the next time they lift the cowl. They take my phone calls. They're happy to get me in and out on a weekend. The communication between us is open, continuous, and trusted. I know I'm not being taken advantage of. And I also know that if something unexpected but important pops up, I'll be told about it immediately. But best of all, the only surprise on the bill is how little they charged me. And even if the bill is higher than expected, I can be 100% confident it's less than it would have been at any other shop I might have gone to. 

No one is perfect, and we're all just human. But I can be sure that if there is a mistake, error, or something is missed, it is a rare and unintentional issue that the guys will work hard to ensure doesn't happen again. And that's all one can ask for.

I truly believe that the most important part of airplane ownership is a good relationship with a good shop. If I had the shop issues that many talk about on this forum, I'd just sell the airplane. I can't imagine not having access to a good, honest shop while trying to maintain a 30 year old airplane that carries me and my family across the country.

SWTA isn't the only good Mooney shop in the country. But if you own a Mooney, you really need to find a good one and build a relationship. It will make all the difference in the ownership experience, not to mention more than a few dollars saved in the process.

http://www.swta.net

• Like 22

I completely agree.  Better to have one shop that does almost everything to your plane than a bunch of random ones.

I'll add to the mix...

You know how they say "it's always good to get another set of eyes" every now and then?  That's true, within reason (Do they know Mooneys, do they know you, does the shop have a consistent workforce, etc.).  It's a really good thing when you can alternate years between SWTA and the Maxwells as I plan to do if/when I own a Mooney again. :)

• Like 4

I feel fortunate to have the M20Doc just 15 Mooney minutes away. He's been looking after my plane since before I bought it and his service has always been excellent. Having trust in the person working on your airplane is invaluable!

• Like 3

+1 for SWTA, JD and crew... I really appreciate that JD is easy to talk with and knows his stuff. I recently had some chaffing on my right wing flap. JD worked it out quickly and economically. Being a new owner, I really appreciate his patience and willingness to chat about the plane.

• Like 1

Truer words were never spoken   I always have the same appreciation for all the excellent work I’ve gotten at Weber’s MSC   and Lancaster avionics . I always was treated fairly and honestly from an excellent group of people. The plane always worked  and provided a confidence that only knowledgeable maintenance can provide. I think in the long run excellent maintenance is always cheaper.   Excellent  post !

• Like 2

Nice Pirep, Paul!

Written in a stream of consciousness fashion.... no practice required.

Life lesson... check!

Management lesson... check!

Airplane Life Management... check, check, check! :)

It really helps to have a go to maintenance shop...

It really helps to have a go to Mooney CFII as well...

If a guy had a really special forever-Comanche... wouldn’t he take it to a CSC every other year? :)

Does a Comanche Service Center exist?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice Pirep, Paul!

Written in a stream of consciousness fashion.... no practice required.

Life lesson... check!

Management lesson... check!

Airplane Life Management... check, check, check! :)

It really helps to have a go to maintenance shop...

It really helps to have a go to Mooney CFII as well...

If a guy had a really special forever-Comanche... wouldn’t he take it to a CSC every other year? :)

Does a Comanche Service Center exist?

Best regards,

-a-

There are a number of Comanche specialty shops around who are knowledgeable, but most aren’t associated with the Piper factory.

Clarence

15 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’m glad my MSC know how to take care of my Comanche, they’re really good.  I can talk to the owner anytime too, sometimes he answers back!

Clarence

It's OK to talk to yourself.  It's not ok when you answer with "huh?"

• Haha 2