Flying above 18K with Basic Med

RobertE

What if you fail to pass that? Now your Basic Med is invalid (and you can't fly) until you can pass a 3rd Class medical. You're grounded!  Maybe forever!

Well, this would happen whether you’re last medical was BasicMed, 3rd class , or whatever....but if in doubt...BasicMed. I think most of us know going into the exam whether we might have a problem passing it.

Tom
  • Like 1

I needed a waiver to get a Class III even when I was a teenager due to one eye not working quite as well as it needed to.   The waiver said I needed corrective lenses for distant vision.   When I got old enough that I was having difficulty meeting it for near vision, too, I switched to Basic Med before I had a chance to fail a Class III.   It was inevitable, and it's harder to get a waiver now than it was more than forty years ago when I got mine originally, so it was an easy decision to make the switch.

Edited by EricJ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cliffy said:

One last caution- the idea of going BACK to a Class III medical

What if you fail to pass that? Now your Basic Med is invalid (and you can't fly) until you can pass a 3rd Class medical. You're grounded!  Maybe forever!

That brings in why did you go basic Med in the first place?

Hmmm, let me see:

• It was quicker, about 20 minutes plus a brief wait
  • It was cheaper ($60 at urgent care)
  • It was closer (directly on my way home after work, vs. 40+ miles each way during work) 
  • My AME is a pediatrician, with a waiting room full of sick kids keeping me company for an hour or so each time
  • My AME is an @ss
  • It's every four years instead of every two years, further reducing my time and expense
  • My C will never reach Class A airspace; closest I've come was 15,000 msl once, with a calculated-afterwards DA of 18,800. She was not a happy Mooney.

Need I spend a few minutes thinking of more reasons, or are these off the top of my head sufficient?

No, I have no health issues or concerns, have no ongoing treatment and take no medication except antibiotics when I catch something unpleasant enough to warrant a trip to the doctor's office.  

So why do you continue to pursue the Class 3?

Edited by Hank

I don't

I went BM 2 years ago due to the hassle of an SI that would never change, 3 to 6 months waiting for them to process every year They would give me a 3rd class (2 year) but make it invalid in 12 months so the process went on every year. Pure bureaucracy nothing more.  

My comment was for the fact that realistically the only limitation I have is nothing over 17,500  My D is like your C 14,000 is a high as I've ever gone and ever needed. Why wake a sleeping dog if you don't have too? 

Going back runs the risk of something has changed since you were there that would ding a 3rd class but not a BM.  Then you're sunk. Sure any time one could dump a 3rd or any other class med but why take the chance if you don't really have to?

Do what you gotta do for the safety of you and passengers and worry about your ticket later, you get due process, they cannot just come yank it for the type of violation you described. 

How would the FAA know if you didn't have me or someone else with a Class III Med acting as PIC for that period you were above 18? 

My point is that "even if" our ADSB is connected to our Medical (which I doubt, comon' its the government) oversight would be difficult for them.  

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Well, this would happen whether you’re last medical was BasicMed, 3rd class , or whatever....but if in doubt...BasicMed. I think most of us know going into the exam whether we might have a problem passing it.

Tom

My understanding is that the actual EXAM does not begin for purposes of reporting to the FAA unless and until the AME logs in to the MedXpress system.  So, if you are in doubt keep that Airmen MedXpress paper in your pocket, take the full exam and if you fail any part pay the AME and leave no reporting is required by the AME. 

14 minutes ago, KB4 said:

My understanding is that the actual EXAM does not begin for purposes of reporting to the FAA unless and until the AME logs in to the MedXpress system.  So, if you are in doubt keep that Airmen MedXpress paper in your pocket, take the full exam and if you fail any part pay the AME and leave no reporting is required by the AME. 

Actually what I believe every AME wants you do is schedule a consulting appointment BEFORE filling out the MexXpress application and then go in to discuss with your AME a strategy for your optimal way forward to get your medical. For example, he/she may want to you to delay filing till you have completed a test. But once the MedXpress application is filed it remains for 2 months before it goes away and you then can file another one. 

This seems like a relatively simple question.

If basic med doesn't allow flying above 18k, but safety of flight requires that you fly above 18k then you can do whatever it takes for safety of flight, in the same principle that allows us to break almost any rules, which is to declare an emergency and then proceed as an emergency.  But if we are doing this, it better really be an emergency, and plausibly I could see it being questioned after the fact as to why we have put ourselves into that situation.

On the other hand, since the air traffic controllers to check the license in your pocket, nor do they check how much weight you have in your airplane etc if you are being compliant to the rules so you might be able to get away with it, breaking rules...but if that is the practice then one of these days the rules will catch up to us whether we are flying over weight, or in spaces we shouldn't fly, etc.

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

BTW... It's about time for me to find a friendly AME in Denver... Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm tempted to jump in the Mooney and go see Dr Chuck 'Cowboy' Crinnian in Scottsdale. 

That’s a short flight in your 252, I followed my AME from Delaware to Florida knowing he knew my history of multiple surgeries he did his due diligence examining me I was skeptical another AME. Would do the same therefore I just went Basic Med 

• Like 1