Ovation Long Range Tanks

G-SLOT

My (new to me) Ovation II had the long range tanks STC (SA-191390; Kit P/N MK-1005-SE) installed in April 2008. Although the POH contains a copy of the relevant 337, which makes reference to a POH revision, there is no specific POH supplement for this modification that I can find. Does anyone have a copy of this document that they could share with me?

In particular, I'd like a better understanding of how the system works and whether I should read the wing and cockpit gauges in any special way. For example, if the wing and cockpit gauges read full and I have no other information, can I assume that there is somewhere between 89 and 118 gallons of fuel available?

Also, when refuelling, does the extra capacity fill instantly or is there some type of feed from the original tanks to the additional capacity that takes a little while to feed through?

1 hour ago, G-SLOT said:

My (new to me) Ovation II had the long range tanks STC (SA-191390; Kit P/N MK-1005-SE) installed in April 2008. Although the POH contains a copy of the relevant 337, which makes reference to a POH revision, there is no specific POH supplement for this modification that I can find. Does anyone have a copy of this document that they could share with me?

In particular, I'd like a better understanding of how the system works and whether I should read the wing and cockpit gauges in any special way. For example, if the wing and cockpit gauges read full and I have no other information, can I assume that there is somewhere between 89 and 118 gallons of fuel available?

Also, when refuelling, does the extra capacity fill instantly or is there some type of feed from the original tanks to the additional capacity that takes a little while to feed through?

I have the tanks on my Bravo and haven't been able to find any STC other than what's on the internet at Monroy's site.  Since there aren't any more senders installed "full" on the gauges should represent the factory tank capacity only.  My guages don't work great so I'm thinking of installing the CiES and I'm told they will just show 89 gallons until all of the extended range fuel is burnt off.

Yes, filling these tanks takes time as the fuel needs to go through a small opening to get to the extended tank so settling occurs.  As some others have pointed out here even though the technical usable is 118 more fuel can be put in if you are very patient.

David

Thanks. So, if the tanks are close to empty and one tries to fill them quickly, allowing the fuel to reach the top and then stopping (without waiting for the level to settle, filling to the top again and repeating), how much less than the 59 gallon usable capacity do you reckon would be in that tank?

That's tough to say but I bought a fuel stick and use the following calibration table:

I don't know enough about the subtle differences (if any) between the ovation and bravo setup to know if this wouldn't work for you but I'd encourage you to do your own calibration one day while out at the pump.

Since I didn't do the calibration I just use this for general planning purposes...

Things to know about your tanks vs... all the other modified capacity tanks Mr. Monroy’s STC covers....

Expect the older tanks to actually be separated by some space connected with hoses...

The newer ones are continuous with some volumes missing around some small details...

The slowness involved in filling the tanks to the top... has much to do with vent holes at the top of the ribs... 8 or so small holes under a small pressure differential... takes time to vent...  so... the last five gallons or so is a challenge...

A standard O1 has about 102 useable gallons in the tanks...

The POH notes all the places this data resides... see the limitations section. It is probably noted in three places...

IP fuel gauges get data, the tank switch gets data, sometimes it shows up near the fuel caps...

Check your limitations section for the details...

If tank capacity was added after your plane left the factory... and additional bays were used...  you want to verify if the fuel level sensors have moved...

remember how goofy fuel sensor accuracy needs to be...  there is a thread on this subject around here as well...

If your sensors didn’t change location... and the volume increased... or they did move...  you want to verify how they are working...

Chances are, the extra fuel isn’t getting measured very accurately when the float hits the stop at the top...

See Cies on how to better measure fuel accurately through the programmable range...

Ceis reports .1 gallon accuracy throughout the range...  serious calibration effort is required... something like 1% accuracy...

Many users of Cies equipment around here are pleased with the accuracy...

most Mooney owners have calibrated their fuel gauges and FF equipment with the highest accuracy possible... it takes time to get it all working precisely...

Some use calibrated sticks when filling... others use mechanical gauges in the wing inspection panel...

The next step up is 130gallons for the long body... using another set of bays...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The POH notes all the places this data resides... see the limitations section. It is probably noted in three places...

Check your limitations section for the details...

Thanks. Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a copy of the POH supplement for this modification?

I only have the original 100+ gallons that came with the original set-up...

Everything is marked 44.5 gallons per side according to an electronic POH I have with me (not for my plane)...

Also read the fueling procedure, as it will mention what is considered full...

Then find a drawing of the fuel tank to know where the vent is...

Remember to keep all the appropriate numbers in your WnB Calculations... carrying full tanks and filling the seats can lead to an overweight condition...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

I'm still searching for the relevant AFM supplement for this STC, which I seem to be missing from my POH. As mentioned in the STC itself, the version I need is the Jose Monroy FAA approved flight manual supplement for M20R serial numbers 29-0001 and after dated March 16, 2007 or later FAA approved revisions.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of this that they could share with me?