Cowl flaps and scat tubes

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Mine goes to the mechanical fuel pump- no shroud. Just zip-tied in place to blast the pump

1 hour ago, PilotCoyote said:

That is exactly like mine...and I don’t have a tube going to my generator, even though the generator has a provision to attach a tube. Now I am wondering whether my arrangement is correct....  there is no outlet at the rear of the doghouse for an additional tube. Should I use the scat tube to cool the fuel pump or the generator?

6 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Mine too.

Can any of you post a photo? I am guessing that must be how mine was at some point. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HRM said:

Can any of you post a photo? I am guessing that must be how mine was at some point. 

This is mine from a few years ago.  (Before Clarence or anyone mentions the Ty-raps on the induction pipes- they've all been replaced with Adel clamps or cushioned with silicone hose on them.  Like I said, this was from a few years ago.)

IMG_0062.JPG

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

This is mine from a few years ago.  (Before Clarence or anyone mentions the Ty-raps on the induction pipes- they've all been replaced with Adel clamps or cushioned with silicone hose on them.  Like I said, this was from a few years ago.)

My bad, I am looking to see where the SCAT hose attached to the doghouse of an E ('66-on) goes.

The port on mine (see prior posts) comes off the back corner on the right side of the doghouse, so that air would not be cool like what is coming off the front of the cowling on your birds.

Oh, but thanks anyway for the pic, nice graphics!

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

IMG_0062.JPG

Totally off-topic, but the band clamp around your boost-pump- is that the original boost pump bracket set-up? My pump bracket was changed at some point according to the Mooney SB regarding the Dukes bracket, but I have never seen what the original style pump bracket arrangement looked like...

5 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

Totally off-topic, but the band clamp around your boost-pump- is that the original boost pump bracket set-up? My pump bracket was changed at some point according to the Mooney SB regarding the Dukes bracket, but I have never seen what the original style pump bracket arrangement looked like...

I believe so, at least it's the same as the one other 1964 M20C I've worked on.  

Then again, who knows?  The original parts Manual wasn't exactly very descriptive...

IMG_2304.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kerry said:

Mine goes to a shroud on my generator.

8 minutes ago, Pstone said:

On C Model 1852, that scat goes to the generator.  On the back end of the generator, there was a cover with a scat hose mount.

If you have converted to an alternator, you have an extra scat.

Thanks,  

My E was retrofitted to an alternator in '99. I don't think that is where this one went because it is at the back of the engine and the generator was in the front. This is more likely for the fuel pump, I need to take a look and see if there is a shroud. I am really leaning towards plugging the hole to get more air on the 2-4 pair.

Mystery solved.

Apparently the E had a leather cooling hood over the (mechanical) fuel pump, ostensibly intended to cool it and prevent vapor lock on those brutally hot summer days in Tejas. The shroud was fed by a tube coming off the doghouse port that is shown in the diagram earlier.

No surprise that a leather hood would not survive 50+ years. My guess is that after it crumbled away they just pointed the end of the hose at the pump and said 'There!'.

There are metal cooling shrouds available from Spruce, et al, but the homebuilt guys are still just pointing a cooling tube at the pump.

I would really love to see what one of the original leather ones looked like.

08-06097.jpg

• Like 1