Boy is my Mooney cold!

I too had a bunch of cold air coming from somewhere in our 1967 C.  It seemed to be coming from the overhead area.  So during a test flight last weekend I discovered the source.   The problem was a major air leak where the tubular steel frame penetrates the dorsal air plenum under the plastic overhead panel.   The tape covering that hole was removed when they did the 208B corrosion inspection last summer and not replaced.  I taped it up good.   Planning a test flight this weekend to see how much that helped.  @steingar you might look there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I too had a bunch of cold air coming from somewhere in our 1967 C.  It seemed to be coming from the overhead area.  So during a test flight last weekend I discovered the source.   The problem was a major air leak where the tubular steel frame penetrates the dorsal air plenum under the plastic overhead panel.   The tape covering that hole was removed when they did the 208B corrosion inspection last summer and not replaced.  I taped it up good.   Planning a test flight this weekend to see how much that helped.  @steingar you might look there.

Got pictures of the area?

11 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

This picture was taken after I taped it up.  Note the tubular steel member coming in from the right.   The tape covers a large elliptical hole. 

overhead_plenum_tape.jpg

I put the minimum of tape to close the holes then painted the whole thing with tank sealant. I’ve found the tape comes off eventually.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I put the minimum of tape to close the holes then painted the whole thing with tank sealant. I’ve found the tape comes off eventually.

Given the importance of occasional SB-208B inspections, I would not use tank sealant there.  The 3M 350 tape I used is made from non-absorptive mylar with excellent adhesive properties.  I'll be surprised if it isn't still sticking there years from now.

Honeywell Heat Bud (75 watts on low setting) is on sale at Menards for $9.99. I use this as a cabin heater. 75 watts a day is like $11/mo at my outrageous energy rates. Keeps the cabin and instruments warm. I use a line voltage thermostat to keep it at around 50F.

Honeywell 250 Watt HeatBud Ceramic Personal Fan Heater at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/p-1570688895966.htm

Edit: I’m going to buy two more and put them inside of my large coolers to keep tools, batteries, and certain chemi’s warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

Edit: I’m going to buy two more and put them inside of my large coolers to keep tools, batteries, and certain chemi’s warm.

But then it's going to be $33/mo - are you sure you want to do that? ;-)

Here are some simple things I did to get a very nice warm cabin on my Rocket.  Obviously, some of the suggestions are Rocket Specific, but several of them , especially the Styrofoam on the back panels and vent covers, worked great on my F-Model too.  (And, just to be clear, the Styrofoam is "winter baggage", not a mod. :>)  )

Tom

https://mooneyspace.com/profile/13694-yooper-rocketman/?status=724&type=status

• Like 1