Stc310hp

skyking1

The STC is available through Mooney...

The prop is available through Hartzell...  MT may be an option as well...

The governor is an adjustment...

The tach get its face refreshed...

A good mechanic is all it takes...

It really makes sense during an OH to go this route...

Or any time a prop change is required...

PP thoughts only, want to use the guys that did mine?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

You have to purchase the STC for the upgrade from Mooney through a MSC. At least $5000. You must have a prop approved for 2700 RPM (Three blade from Hartzell or a 4 Blade from MT Prop). Tach has to be replaced or serviced or upgrade to JPI 900 with instruments and tach. If you have Moritz gauges might be time to move to the JPI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skyking1 said:

I have a friend with an ovation with 280hp. How much and where can he increase to 310?

$4,995 at @AGL Aviation. If hes out of state no sales tax either.

If he has a top prop, then no new prop is required. If he has a Mccauley, he needs a top prop, or a MT 4 blade.
Price ranges from $12400 for the regular and thin top prop to $18500 for the MT carbon prop, and I think 23000
for the carbon Top prop. the fastest one it going to be the Thin alu top prop. the smoothest one is the Carbon top prop,
and the one with the best climb rate and takeoff will be the 4 blade MT. add 5 to 10 hours for labor.

If he has a JPI 730, 830, 900, or 930, an EI 30, EI 50, or a digital tack that can be adjusted, Max RPM needs to be changed from
2500 to 2700RPM. if he has the regular Moritz gauges, he needs to buy a digital tack like an EI R1 or something listed above to change the Max RPM. add no labor to 7 hours depending on what you need changed.

Governor needs to be adjusted from 2500RPM to 2700RPM. all and all maybe 3 to 4 hours of labor for the Gov change.

That should give you the price within +- .5 AMU. Also make sure the shop doing the work is willing to go above the 27.2 limit for the fuel flow. you need about 28.5 to 29.5 GPH.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skyking1 said:

Thanks for the help! He has a scimitar prop and g1000. 2007 ovation.sounds like 5000 plus labor if he doesn’t need an digital tach

I think that vintage of g1000 still requires an external digital tach like the EI unit because of a software issue.  He still needs to send off the governor to have a different spring installed. 

48 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

The real question is, is there a real advantage of going from 280 - 310?  Is there any downsides?

Heat...fixed by fuel or climb airspeed. Or living in the fridge north where 2000fpm vertical speed is a way of life :)

16 hours ago, Niko182 said:

If he has a JPI 730, 830, 900, or 930, an EI 30, EI 50, or a digital tack that can be adjusted, Max RPM needs to be changed from

Niko’s post is dead nuts on. The only addition is the 730/830 will not meet the tach requirement and the Mortiz gauges will display the proper digital readout but the analog redline still will require an external tach. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Like 1

I'm very pleased with it.  Helps shorten the take off run when on the heavy side.  Have to watch the temps when its hot out and I usually cut back to 2550 rpm shortly after take off.

That said, if you have any inclination to get it ever - I would buy the paperwork now while the factory is back open.  Who knows what might happen to the STC is they take another break.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Niko’s post is dead nuts on. The only addition is the 730/830 will not meet the tach requirement and the Mortiz gauges will display the proper digital readout but the analog redline still will require an external tach. 

Just checked the STC. You are correct. Needs to be primary.

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

Bob Minnis, who owns the Acclaim STC, wrote an approval for the JPI Slim line tach.  https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/slim-line-tach/

very unobtrusive and fits nicely above the throttle at the bottom of the panel.  
-dan

That page says they’re only STC’d as advisory, not primary. How is that different from the 730/830?

12 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

That page says they’re only STC’d as advisory, not primary. How is that different from the 730/830?

You’d have to talk to bob about that.  I don’t remember the particulars. 
the whole tach thing is quite silly.  Garmin won’t update the software to allow 2700 RPM to show as green, not red. 

Edited by exM20K

7 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I think that vintage of g1000 still requires an external digital tach like the EI unit because of a software issue.  He still needs to send off the governor to have a different spring installed. 

56 minutes ago, buddy said:

The tach in the G1000 can be changed through the software. The software needs to be changed from an O2 to a O3 and that will give you 2700 RPM.

Exactly, but it assumes the WAAS upgraded G1000, if still a non-waas G1000 then the EI unit (or comprimable) is still required.

In my opinion when I did the upgrade it was well worth it. For me however it was a jump from 244 to 310hp instead of the 280 to 310 which was nearly a 30% increase in power. the biggest factor is going to be takeoff. my takeoff was usually around 2500ft of groundroll at MGTW. with the 310hp that goes down to about 1100ft and it climbs much faster. However everything lined up for me when the STC was required. My prop was leaking quite a bit and was most likely going to need an overhaul, my tach was going crazy so we needed to buy a primary tach anyway. the plane at full rpm would only crank out 2340RPM instead of the 2400RPM, and the governor needed an overhaul. I also found a top prop off an old cirrus for 1800 bucks, and 0 timed it and cut the prop 2 inches for the smaller prop required in the STC and stuck that on. all in, I paid about 10k all in with labor after I sold the old prop. an Increase in 168lbs of weight is also a very nice factor, and allows me to top off the tanks 80% of my flights, even with 3 people on board.

In my opinion, Its one of the best upgrades for ovations and acclaims, and probably the best upgrade for the eagle. it gives you the option to fly into smaller strips, especially if you're coming off a 2 blade prop, and if you have a GX series mooney, the only thing youre paying for is the STC and the prop governor adjustment, which I would believe would 100% pay for itself in resale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mooneymuscle56m said:

I did it 2 years ago on my Acclaim, if you need shorter takeoff, better climb, it’s a worthy modification.  If you are traveling I don’t think it’s beneficial.  More fuel, less range and efficiency. 

It pays off much better on the Ovation/Eagle platform than the Acclaim.  I’ve flown all three with and without 310 upgrades and the Ovation and Eagle reap the most benefit.

• Like 1

+1 on T/O and climb performance of an O1 going from 280 to 310hp...

It is a real seat of the pants experience as well as numbers on the dials...

You actually get what you pay for in this case...

I used a WAAS source and CloudAhoy to measure T/O distances with my plane...

Then compared the T/O data to the STC charts...

Bob Minnis and Rocket Engineering did real work delivering this complete package...

One drawback in cruise flight... you can deliver more HP to go marginally faster... at a slightly higher FF...

It is very tempting to use...  There may be some advantage of using 2550 as the new cruise rpm... and accept the slightly higher FF that comes with it... :)

you get the choice... use it or don’t use... 2500rpm delivers the same cruise speed using the same FF as before...

One of my favorite runways to use was at 5B6 (cape Cod) 2.3k’ long... where the T/O performance improvement is nice..

I want to be flying or stopping at a predetermined spot near the halfway point...

I’m not much of a fan of accelerating towards trees... :)

Go O3!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2