Oil filter adapter kit from Aircraft Spruce??????

Has anyone used this oil filter adapter kit from Aircraft Spruce yet? I have not seen any posts recommending it or even that anyone has used it yet. I have a 1962 M20C and already found that the B&C champion oil filter adapter will not work with my IO-360A1D. I need an adapter that puts the oil filter straight back towards the firewall. That is the only room that I have  for it in the engine compartment. I see that some people have used the Donaldson Air Maze, one and that is the one I will use if I don't get any answers on this post I guess, but I was just wondering if this one is better in anyway or recommended by anyone. I wish the aircraft spruce website was more user friendly and has better descriptions and pictures of the items being sold but that's just my rant for the day!!!

Capture.PNG

I'm pretty sure this is the standard issue Lycoming adapter which is the only one which will work on our old m20c's (other than ones which use a remote mounting place for the filter).  At that price, the STC for a remote filter might be worth it...cheaper and more convenient:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/airwolffilter-lyc.php

Edited by cctsurf
  • Like 1

⬆️⬆️⬆️

What cctsurf said.

I strongly recommend the remote mounted oil filter mod for pre-1966 cowlings.  My quick drain is on the right side of my engine, and my remote oil filter is also on the right.  No more having to remove 80 screws and the whole cowling just to do an oil change!  I only have to remove about 30 screws and only the right cowling piece.

IMG_0057.JPG

• Like 2

I've got the Airwolf remote setup and I do like the easy access to the filter, but you've got to figure in the additional cost of the sleeved hoses $$$ if you are considering the remote kit. It was on there when I got the plane. Sleeved hoses are expensive, and some IA's will require their replacement every 5-8 years. And there are a lot more potential connections that can fail/leak.

Just some things to consider...

On 12/7/2019 at 10:21 AM, Thomas661 said:

Has anyone used this oil filter adapter kit from Aircraft Spruce yet? I have not seen any posts recommending it or even that anyone has used it yet. I have a 1962 M20C and already found that the B&C champion oil filter adapter will not work with my IO-360A1D. I need an adapter that puts the oil filter straight back towards the firewall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, carusoam said:

Thomas,

Checking with you...

My M20C had the O360A1D...

Did yours become an IO360?

This might help with matching up parts to engines...

Best regards,

-a-

I will make sure that I have an IO and not an O before I order another filter adapter. Thanks for the help you guys! Aircraft ownership can be very frustrating at times! Somehow my parking brake got stuck on and I just ruined two brand new mains this weekend as well. Nice landing followed by a little braking which turned into locking up both mains on the runway and a tow off the runway until I could get the brakes to unlock. It was embarrassing and expensive! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas661 said:

I will make sure that I have an IO and not an O before I order another filter adapter. Thanks for the help you guys! Aircraft ownership can be very frustrating at times! Somehow my parking brake got stuck on and I just ruined two brand new mains this weekend as well. Nice landing followed by a little braking which turned into locking up both mains on the runway and a tow off the runway until I could get the brakes to unlock. It was embarrassing and expensive! 

Rest assured, you’re not the first one to do that...

3 hours ago, Thomas661 said:

I had something similar happen a little over a year ago. Both mains were locked up on touchdown and came to a screeching halt with the parking brake stuck on, could not move the knob/cable. My parking brake cable had always been difficult to move, but I thought that was the way it worked. I think that the cable just finally froze up. It should slide nice and easy. Ended up lubing the cable and it is smooth and easy to adjust now. In addition to the normal GUMPS I always push on the parking brake knob as well to make sure it is off now before landing.